Bleuet's WHAT IF... series

bleuet

Hi all

Began to work on this unique serie. Trying to make concepts of teams that moved in the past, in a alternative historic optical: they stayed where they were and are still in the NHL in 2012. A sort of WHAT IF they were still there serie.

Keep in mind I am no professionnal and working with limited graphic software. I am doing this for pure pleasure and to share ideas and comments. Thanks to Sparky for allowing me to use his templates.

This serie will include logos and unis for the following teams (some teams changed elements of their names throughout the decennies)

I will post here when the concepts will be ready.

ATLANTA FLAMES

CLEVELAND BARONS

DENVER ROCKIES

HAMILTON TIGERS

MINNESOTA NORTH STARS

NEW ENGLAND WHALERS

OAKLAND SEALS

QUEBEC NORDIQUES

WINNIPEG JETS

Firstly: my Cleveland Barons concepts

6894395205_4820bdd9f9_z.jpg

6894395355_c0a1e884b9_b.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the jersey. Actually, I'm impressed at how much that yellow piping pops, I never would've guessed that would work. Not to mention, based on what they had in the 70s, I'd say that's a very believable guess. I like it.

The logo needs cleaned up. First off, you simply couldn't stitch that outline on the B. make that sharp. Make the B itself nice and crisp as well, with smooth edges. Make the Cleveland more readable as well. The texture on the sticks and the shading on the helmet would also be impossible. use just outlines and patches of gray for that same effect. Plus, if the shield is going to look like that, don't you think they'd make it Ohio-shaped? If the state's highway signs are the Ohio shape, they're going to push teams to use it. Seems too easy not to do, especially for a team that started with Ohio-shapes behind their numbers.

How about a dark home jersey to go with that? Maybe a third? The Barons had a never-worn jersey ready to go in 1979, maybe do something based on that

baronsjersey0002_op_800x600.jpg

(the hem stripes were identical to the sleeve ones)

I think this has real potential as a series, and you obviously have the talent to do it. Take some time, clean this one up, and give it a proper finish before moving on. I like what you've got here

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The primary crest needs some major simplification. Try to clean it up so that when you look at it from afar, you can still make out the logo without having busy little details detract from the image. Just look at NHL logos to see how simple crests work well to convey a strong, unique identity. Hockey Week has already gone over some of the things you can do. The jerseys themselves look good though!

Midway.png

Thanks guys. I am not good enough to make the shield state shape but this gave me the idea of a State outline shape on the shoulders.

So heres my Cleveland Barons wallpaper.

ALTERNATE HISROTICAL NOTE (for more fun!): Since the early 80's , the Barons brought fast skaters on the ice. Their best playoff results are 2 Stanley cup finals appearance, both against Gretzky's Oilers but unfortunatly, no Stanley cup parade ever took place into downtown Cleveland.

6897152153_5d81ef475d_b.jpg

Next up should be the Whalers.

Will check it out.

NEW ENGLAND WHALERS

The new ownership who bought the team from Karmanos, came to a deal with the state of Connecticut. The new arena took 3 years to build near Hartford and the Whalers began to play in the new 17000 seats arena in 2001-2002.

New logo and appelation was planned by the owners but a survey made revealed the CT hockey fans wanted the team to keep the W shape logo. Finally, the ownership changed its appelation and came back to NEW ENGLAND WHALERS, making minor changes to the logo. Here's the 2001-2002 NE Whalers logo and unis.

6898469095_b6b7b0ab9a_b.jpg

FUN HISTORICAL FACTS

The Whalers are big not only in the ocean but also on the rink. By 2007-2008, led by Zdeno Chara, they made 3 back to back Stanley cups final appearance, losing to Los Angeles, winning against Phoenix and finally loosing against ... Los Angeles.

Despite the fact that it's just a tweak of the real thing, that Whalers logo is amazing.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

For the Barons' shoulder patch, I'd use a different "C" because that one is hardly identifiable. Also, the logo would look fantastic if you ditched the knight's helmet (and perhaps used that as an alternate logo?).

The Whalers actually look really good, but I'd thicken the arm stripes.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this series!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

For the Barons' shoulder patch, I'd use a different "C" because that one is hardly identifiable. Also, the logo would look fantastic if you ditched the knight's helmet (and perhaps used that as an alternate logo?).

The Whalers actually look really good, but I'd thicken the arm stripes.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this series!

fun is'nt it?

Gee, your ideas are gud..

You are right on the arm stripes. To redo list..

HAMILTON TIGERS

They never left Hamilton, never fold, and now play in the Copps coliseum.

One of the rare team to win a Stanley cup in 4 different decades: 1955-56, 1960-61, 1973-74, and 1988-89. They lost the trophy against Detroit in 1992-93.

The Tiger head is not from me but its what it would be like.

2011-2012 HAMILTON TIGERS

6902634055_9d254f28cb_b.jpg

ATLANTA FLAMES

When Quebec traded Joe Sakic to the Flames in 1999, Atlanta finally became a cup contender. Sakic and veteran Joe Nieuwendyk led the Flames to finals in 1999-2000 and a Stanley cup in 2001-2002 against Vancouver sporting these red hot uniforms and logo.

6902798917_281bd3d320_b.jpg

Next will be Minnesota

6902799127_83e424a0af_b.jpg

I don't really understand all the green on the Atlanta jerseys.. It almost looks like a mistake.

Also the tiger logo on the orange jersey needs a white outline to make it pop.

The left and right sides of the Cleveland banner were not colored in on the last update.

These are all really good but I think you are rushing a bit to get them out. Take a little extra time to clean them up would make a world of difference.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I don't really understand all the green on the Atlanta jerseys.. It almost looks like a mistake.

Also the tiger logo on the orange jersey needs a white outline to make it pop.

The left and right sides of the Cleveland banner were not colored in on the last update.

These are all really good but I think you are rushing a bit to get them out. Take a little extra time to clean them up would make a world of difference.

That's yellow. When I tilt my monitor though, it looks green (so I see where you're coming from).

Hamilton:

I actually really like this. The tiger stripes are really creative and they work. I think that you did enough to differentiate them from the Flyers,

North Stars:

Nice logo, but ditch the puck.

Flames:

Make your yellow more "yellow" and tone down the flames (on the waits) down a bit. Also, white numbers would look better on the home.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

MINNESOTA NORTH STARS

In 1993, the sale of the franchise by Norman Green to an insurance company stopped the persisting rumours sending the Stars to Las Vegas.

At the announcement of the sale, the new ownership stated the team would take the name North Stars and a new arena built.

The North Stars made the Stanley cup finals in 1996-97, loosing against the Nordiques but won the 2004-05 classic against Tampa Bay.

Here's the 2011-2012 Minnesota North Stars

6907217561_1ee0d09978_b.jpg

All right, I've got two majore nitpicks.

First, is that the Atlanta Flames logo doesn't flow well at all. To me, it looks more like the A has a ponytail. I'd have the A and flame combined similarly to the Calgary Flames logo (or the original Atlanta Flames logo).

Second, there are way too many differing stripe styles on the Hamilton uniforms. The shoulder yoke, tiger stripes, hem stripe, and sock stripes are all completely different. I think this concept would be excellent if you stuck with a more cohesive look in that regard.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

All right, I've got two majore nitpicks.

First, is that the Atlanta Flames logo doesn't flow well at all. To me, it looks more like the A has a ponytail. I'd have the A and flame combined similarly to the Calgary Flames logo (or the original Atlanta Flames logo).

Second, there are way too many differing stripe styles on the Hamilton uniforms. The shoulder yoke, tiger stripes, hem stripe, and sock stripes are all completely different. I think this concept would be excellent if you stuck with a more cohesive look in that regard.

Thanks for the comments.

My goal is to create something that is different then what the team wear or have wore, or at least a bit different. This is why I tryed to stay away from from flaming A or F. Other folks already made a flaming F. So, it's always a challenge to try to stay creative and come up with something everybody would like.

My first Atlanta concept did not have a logo, and it just had the letters FLAMES instead of the logo. Then, I tought: no its ugly and told myself Work, find something that could work. Ended up with a flaming puck inside the red a. The Flames are not an easy team for a concept if you want to stay out of what have already been done.

If you are talking about the Tigers shoulders stripes, we must look this with a historical perspective. The team kept old shoulders striping from the 50's era and at this time, nothing was perfect :-) (I should have mention this before.)

Now, this white North Stars jersey need gold outline for the numbers.

Anyways thanks for taking time watching and posting.

Archived