Fenway Park 100 Year Patch (logo)

UncleJunior

Wait, so are they not going to have a patch on the hat at all, or any special hat?

Damn it, I lost my regular "B" hat a few months ago and decided I would wait until the beginning of this season to get a new one cause I figured there would be something special.

Very disappointing.

I know, I'm a little disappointed too.

spacer.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They went with the green because of Fenway Park, especially the press box. Overall this is a nice patch that honors Fenway Park and their great fans. Fun Fact: Fenway Park on April 20, 1912. The Red Sox beat the Yanks 7-6 in 11 innings. The victory would've been on the front page of Boston newspapers if it wasn't for, wait for it, the sinking of the Titanic.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Am I the only one who sees this and is convinced even more that the Red Socks need to make green their primary color. It would fit more with deeply Irish Boston. They could still use red as a secondary color since they are called the Red Sox.

I usually get annoyed when I see people jump all over someone just because they disagree with an opinion (this forum is all about expressing opinions after all), but holy crap, you've got to be kidding. You seriously think the Boston red sox should change to green as their primary color? This is a team that makes a living squeezing every penny they can out of history and tradition. After over 100 years they are going to suddenly become green? You clearly don't have any understanding about how sox management operates or how sox fans think. To put it nicely, this is one of the silliest things I have ever read on this forum.

Am I the only one who sees this and is convinced even more that the Red Socks need to make green their primary color. It would fit more with deeply Irish Boston. They could still use red as a secondary color since they are called the Red Sox.

I usually get annoyed when I see people jump all over someone just because they disagree with an opinion (this forum is all about expressing opinions after all), but holy crap, you've got to be kidding. You seriously think the Boston red sox should change to green as their primary color? This is a team that makes a living squeezing every penny they can out of history and tradition. After over 100 years they are going to suddenly become green? You clearly don't have any understanding about how sox management operates or how sox fans think. To put it nicely, this is one of the silliest things I have ever read on this forum.

THANK YOU

spacer.png

THANK YOU

Boston may have been deeply Irish at one point, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Gentrification has taken much of the old school identity from this city. Southie still has Irish roots but little by little it's either foreigners, college kids, or upstart families renting/buying in the area. Green is a cute color once a year, never full time. If the Sox used red & green from the get-go it's a different story, but they've been red & blue for 100 years. Why change it now to honor a diminishing population?

I can't believe this was even brought up for discussion on this board.

Well, I think I speak for him and myself that we aren't kidding. *ducks for cover* :D

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Calm down man it's just a though.

Whatt you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

If the Red Sox were a 1993 expansion team, sure, green would be OK. Since they've worn red-navy for ~100 years now, it's not. However, if the latter was true, there would be no reason for it to be the primary. It would work as the secondary, but not as the main colour. And if they did, they'd have to make it dark green ("navy green" if you get what I mean) so they wouldn't look Christmas-y.

Anyways, the patch is nice. It would've looked good on a hat, though.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Love the patch, hate the idea of green being a regular color for the Sox. Boston isn't nearly as Irish as some people would have you believe, being in many ways as cosmopolitan as NY. Many Bostonians are somewhat resentful of the 'Irishness' of some of Boston culture. The Sox have always been a uniting force in Boston, and to add green to the color scheme would alienate Italian Bostonians, Greek Bostonians, etc etc. Just because the Kennedy's are Irish, and the Basketball team is the Celtics, doesn't mean every Bostonian is, and many associate it with corruption and cronyism in the city and state offices.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Agreed 110%. They look so good in Green and Red, not to mention it would be unique in MLB. I know it's been beaten to death, but there really is way to much Red and Blue in MLB. Not to mention the Green goes well with Boston's Irish heritage. Besides, enough fans at Fenway already wear the Green and Red, couldn't be that big an adjustment.

green+sox+1177124345_5918.jpg

SoxGreen.jpg

1111440179_14491.jpg

*vomits in mouth upon seeing the worst Red Sox jersey in history*

Yes, blue and red have been done to death. But the Red Sox have been doing it just about the longest. Their caps have always been blue (except for that time in the 1970s which we Red Sox fans don't like to talk about). Except for a two relatively short stints, their road uniform has always had primarily navy script.

No, not enough fans wear green and red. More fans wear navy apparel or red apparel.

So, by the "green goes well with Boston's Irish heritage" logic, the Dodgers and Angels should change to the color scheme of the Mexican flag. And the Heat should add huge blue stripes from the Cuban flag. And the Brewers should change their entire color scheme to black-red-yellow. After all, it's the city's heritage!

Concept idea! :P

6fQjS3M.png

Agreed 110%. They look so good in Green and Red, not to mention it would be unique in MLB. I know it's been beaten to death, but there really is way to much Red and Blue in MLB. Not to mention the Green goes well with Boston's Irish heritage. Besides, enough fans at Fenway already wear the Green and Red, couldn't be that big an adjustment.

green+sox+1177124345_5918.jpg

SoxGreen.jpg

1111440179_14491.jpg

*vomits in mouth upon seeing the worst Red Sox jersey in history*

Yes, blue and red have been done to death. But the Red Sox have been doing it just about the longest. Their caps have always been blue (except for that time in the 1970s which we Red Sox fans don't like to talk about). Except for a two relatively short stints, their road uniform has always had primarily navy script.

No, not enough fans wear green and red. More fans wear navy apparel or red apparel.

So, by the "green goes well with Boston's Irish heritage" logic, the Dodgers and Angels should change to the color scheme of the Mexican flag. And the Heat should add huge blue stripes from the Cuban flag. And the Brewers should change their entire color scheme to black-red-yellow. After all, it's the city's heritage!

Concept idea! :P

Heh. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see a concept with the Brewers in the colors of the German flag.

For the record, this in no way means I'm recanting on my opinion on the Red Sox wearing green.

spacer.png

I love the patch, it is a great representation of Fenway and its ALMOST perfect! The only thing i would have improved on would have been to make "Fenway Park" with red font. It would have given the red in the hanging socks logo something to play off of in an all green logo. Plus, a red font is true to Fenway itself, seeing that the Fenway Park sign behind home plate, up above the press boxes is, in fact, RED.

fenway100.png

Much better, imo.

Also, something that stands out to me in the original post, as well as all the other pictures coming out of the Red Sox training camp...it appears that the Red Sox have totally ditched their cool base batting practice caps and are now strictly only wearing their navy in game caps.

Also, something that stands out to me in the original post, as well as all the other pictures coming out of the Red Sox training camp...it appears that the Red Sox have totally ditched their cool base batting practice caps and are now strictly only wearing their navy in game caps.

Yeah, we were discussing that in the MLB megathread. Much better IMO.

spacer.png

THANK YOU

Boston may have been deeply Irish at one point, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Gentrification has taken much of the old school identity from this city. Southie still has Irish roots but little by little it's either foreigners, college kids, or upstart families renting/buying in the area. Green is a cute color once a year, never full time. If the Sox used red & green from the get-go it's a different story, but they've been red & blue for 100 years. Why change it now to honor a diminishing population?

There are two more reasons why they should change from navy to green:

1) Fenway Park is about 99.9% green

2) Navy is the color of their biggest rival- the Yankees

Yeah, we were discussing that in the MLB megathread. Much better IMO.

Cool, I was looking for a place to bring that up! too late now though. lol

Yeah, ditching those awful cool base hats is a great move, I agree. Every team should ditch them! I've never been a fan of the design or have I been a fan of the cool base practice jerseys, for that matter. That navy blue v-neck mesh BP jersey the Sox sported in the 90s is one of my favorite jerseys ever.

THANK YOU

There are two more reasons why they should change from navy to green:

1) Fenway Park is about 99.9% green

2) Navy is the color of their biggest rival- the Yankees

1) So, because Citi Field's walls are 99.9% black, the Mets should add more black to their color scheme.

2) Who cares. Should the Cubs remove all touches of red from their uniform and replace it with a completely different, totally unrelated to the team's history, color, just because the Cardinals wear red?

spacer.png

Archived