Fenway Park 100 Year Patch (logo)

UncleJunior

Am I the only one who sees this and is convinced even more that the Red Socks need to make green their primary color. It would fit more with deeply Irish Boston. They could still use red as a secondary color since they are called the Red Sox.

I usually get annoyed when I see people jump all over someone just because they disagree with an opinion (this forum is all about expressing opinions after all), but holy crap, you've got to be kidding. You seriously think the Boston red sox should change to green as their primary color? This is a team that makes a living squeezing every penny they can out of history and tradition. After over 100 years they are going to suddenly become green? You clearly don't have any understanding about how sox management operates or how sox fans think. To put it nicely, this is one of the silliest things I have ever read on this forum.

THANK YOU

Boston may have been deeply Irish at one point, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Gentrification has taken much of the old school identity from this city. Southie still has Irish roots but little by little it's either foreigners, college kids, or upstart families renting/buying in the area. Green is a cute color once a year, never full time. If the Sox used red & green from the get-go it's a different story, but they've been red & blue for 100 years. Why change it now to honor a diminishing population?

I can't believe this was even brought up for discussion on this board.

There are two more reasons why they should change from navy to green:

1) Fenway Park is about 99.9% green

2) Navy is the color of their biggest rival- the Yankees

Fenway Park is a deep teal, not green. Certainly not the green in their St Pats jersey. Besides, that's crappy logic considering green is pretty standard in ballparks.

If they had pinstripes I'd agree with you, but they don't. I don't have a problem with both teams using navy. No one is going to confuse the Red Sox and Yankees. You're not going to convince any Sox fans that green is better than blue full time, I can promise you that. I never see green anything around the city when it comes to Sox gear. That navy hat is more than iconic around here, it's almost if you're a guy and you don't own one (even if you don't wear it) there's something wrong with you.

I'll also echo admiral's comments. Red and green is more Italian than it is Irish, especially with the very Italian North End; which is more Italian than Southie is Irish at this point.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Red Sox should NOT adopt green as one of their colors. It would go totally against the franchise's history, for one.

Just because Fenway Park is synonymous with the color green doesn't make it a good reason for the Red Sox to reflect that in the team's image, other than in patch form. The Red Sox and Fenway may go hand in hand with each other, but they should always be handled as separate entities when it comes to imagery and design. I will admit, I don't even like the fact that Red Sox ownership have plastered logos all over the green monster and mowed the hanging sox logo into the infield grass!...I guess I'm just more of a purist when it comes to being a Sox fan. haha

The Red Sox team have had Navy as apart of their color scheme for most of their existence. Off the top of my head, I can go back as far as the 1930s. Even though, it doesn't reflect on the digital layouts on this site and others, the Yankees actually use a slightly darker shade of navy than the Red Sox do. To prove this, put a Yankee cap next to a Red Sox cap. So yes, the Red Sox may incorporate navy, the same color that their rival uses in their colors, but they are actually different shades.

Am I the only one who sees this and is convinced even more that the Red Socks need to make green their primary color. It would fit more with deeply Irish Boston. They could still use red as a secondary color since they are called the Red Sox.

I usually get annoyed when I see people jump all over someone just because they disagree with an opinion (this forum is all about expressing opinions after all), but holy crap, you've got to be kidding. You seriously think the Boston red sox should change to green as their primary color? This is a team that makes a living squeezing every penny they can out of history and tradition. After over 100 years they are going to suddenly become green? You clearly don't have any understanding about how sox management operates or how sox fans think. To put it nicely, this is one of the silliest things I have ever read on this forum.

THANK YOU

Boston may have been deeply Irish at one point, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it once was. Gentrification has taken much of the old school identity from this city. Southie still has Irish roots but little by little it's either foreigners, college kids, or upstart families renting/buying in the area. Green is a cute color once a year, never full time. If the Sox used red & green from the get-go it's a different story, but they've been red & blue for 100 years. Why change it now to honor a diminishing population?

I can't believe this was even brought up for discussion on this board.

1) So, because Citi Field's walls are 99.9% black, the Mets should add more black to their color scheme.

2) Who cares. Should the Cubs remove all touches of red from their uniform and replace it with a completely different, totally unrelated to the team's history, color, just because the Cardinals wear red?

In 1908 they only wore blue and white. Might as well go back to the glory days. :lol:

I'll also echo admiral's comments. Red and green is more Italian than it is Irish, especially with the very Italian North End; which is more Italian than Southie is Irish at this point.

Being Italian in Boston, I can safely say...

The North End = Heaven in urban neighborhood form! haha

Agreed. I wish it was more T friendly, I was trying to get an apartment there last summer but the closest I could get to a station was at least a 15-20 min walk to Haymarket. Still doesn't stop me from getting a 2am pizza every Friday night. Great area. I think the fact that it was cut off from the rest of the city by the Artery for decades really helped it stave off total gentrification and kept its character.

If they had pinstripes I'd agree with you, but they don't. I don't have a problem with both teams using navy.

Okay then. Let's make the Toronto Maple Leafs red and blue and the LA Dodgers black and orange while we're at it.

What does this mean?

Agreed. I wish it was more T friendly, I was trying to get an apartment there last summer but the closest I could get to a station was at least a 15-20 min walk to Haymarket. Still doesn't stop me from getting a 2am pizza every Friday night. Great area. I think the fact that it was cut off from the rest of the city by the Artery for decades really helped it stave off total gentrification and kept its character.

If they had pinstripes I'd agree with you, but they don't. I don't have a problem with both teams using navy.

Okay then. Let's make the Toronto Maple Leafs red and blue and the LA Dodgers black and orange while we're at it.

What does this mean?

Make a team's colors the same as their rivals.

Bucket

What does this mean?

Bucket

I think you're missing the point, bud. The Sox and Yankees have used their present color scheme for 80+ years. They're both iconic and instantly recognizable. There's no confusion. As already said the navy isn't the same anyway, Sox use a lighter shade. Totally separate and distinguishable identities. Changing the Dodgers and Leafs colors TODAY isn't a good counterpoint, it wouldn't make sense.

What does this mean?

Bucket

Thats what Primary and SECONDARY colors are for. Plus, I see no problem with two rival teams wearing the same colors, its all in how a team uses and wears their colors.

People don't understand the history behind teams. No matter how insignificant you may think their teams are, fans care about them. Every team from the Cardinals all the way down to the Pirates are important. Saying the redsox should change from navy to green is pointless. Who cares if there are too many teams wearing rwb in MLB. If you have trouble telling the difference between the RedSox, Rangers, Braves, Indians, you need new glasses or a bigger TV.

I totally agree with you there, I hope in the coming years The North End will be able to preserve that character...and to be honest, its a good thing that the North End is a ways off from a T line. A nice long walk is a good way to burn off those calories you will inevitably pack on walking through the North End. haha

What does this mean?

Bucket

facepalm10.jpg

spacer.png

What does this mean?

Bucket

facepalm10.jpg

How bout you just STFU?

Wait, so are they not going to have a patch on the hat at all, or any special hat?

Damn it, I lost my regular "B" hat a few months ago and decided I would wait until the beginning of this season to get a new one cause I figured there would be something special.

Very disappointing.

I know, I'm a little disappointed too.

At the Red Sox winter caravan last month (where they passed out ticket vouchers, etc.), I asked one of the PR higher-ups about the possibility of a patch on the cap. He said at the time it was still being discussed. He said they were debating how often (if at all) it would be worn. I wouldn't count it out yet. Heck, MLB still hasn't announced 2012's playoff format as of today, and spring training is already fully underway. I'm sure they (New Era) could mass produce these caps in a matter of days, like they do for the World Series. I'm still optimistic. I'm not giving up until the Sox cross the lines April 13 at the Fenway opener without them.

Wait, so are they not going to have a patch on the hat at all, or any special hat?

Damn it, I lost my regular "B" hat a few months ago and decided I would wait until the beginning of this season to get a new one cause I figured there would be something special.

Very disappointing.

At the Red Sox winter caravan last month (where they passed out ticket vouchers, etc.), I asked one of the PR higher-ups about the possibility of a patch on the cap. He said at the time it was still being discussed. He said they were debating how often (if at all) it would be worn. I wouldn't count it out yet. Heck, MLB still hasn't announced 2012's playoff format as of today, and spring training is already fully underway. I'm sure they (New Era) could mass produce these caps in a matter of days, like they do for the World Series. I'm still optimistic. I'm not giving up until the Sox cross the lines April 13 at the Fenway opener without them.

Well, I think the Red Sox and Yankees are doing something special, in terms of uniforms, for the 100th Anniversary Game on April 20th. Maybe it will have something to do with in game patches or something to commemorate the occasion.

::EDIT:: Nevermind, I just went and looked at the event schedule and the Red Sox and Yankees will be wearing 1912 Red Sox and Highlanders uniforms for that game which is wicked cool anyway!

Very disappointing.

Well, I think the Red Sox and Yankees are doing something special, in terms of uniforms, for the 100th Anniversary Game on April 20th. Maybe it will have something to do with in game patches or something to commemorate the occasion.

I believe both teams are wearing throwbacks from 1912 on April 20.

Very disappointing.

Yup, just read that on the Fenway 100 site, thats should be pretty cool. I really hope there is more to the 1912 uniforms compared to the 1918 uniforms the Red Sox wore against the Cubs last year....which were totally blank white unis.

Very disappointing.

Yup, just read that on the Fenway 100 site, thats should be pretty cool. I really hope there is more to the 1912 uniforms compared to the 1918 uniforms the Red Sox wore against the Cubs last year....which were totally blank white unis.

Blank (vintage) white cap, Red Sox in block lettering across the chest.

Blank (vintage) white cap, Red Sox in block lettering across the chest.

Well I'm glad there is SOMETHING on the jersey, at least. haha

I Found these on a Google search, good to see that the 1912 Highlanders uniform sports the NY logo.

1912unis.png

What does this mean?

Bucket

facepalm10.jpg

How bout you just STFU?

After you, my friend.

If we were talking about the possibility of the Red Sox adding navy to their color scheme, I could see how what you said would make sense, but it simply doesn't in this situation.

spacer.png

Archived