Lowes logo

shaydre1019

One of my biggest complaints with the local Lowe's here in Eugene is that their building has a horribly, horribly disproportionate logo. Look how small the wordmark is in comparison to the blue "canton" area. It's like they ordered the wrong size placards and signage for the building and then just said, "ahh.... f*** it."

http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.048008,-123.145838&spn=0.01294,0.01929&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.048007,-123.145688&panoid=TWVd6sLa36PKiZdZ1b2L4Q&cbp=12,354.05,,0,5.81

For reference, here is a typical store:

lowes-stores-closings-2011.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Just speculation but perhaps the designer(s) were trying to use the "S" from the "$" symbol, as an abstract way of implying savings. Even if that were the case, it's awkwardly executed, especially, as mentioned, with the spacing and proximity to the apostrophe.

I don't mind the square interior/rounded edges of the "O" since it's consistent in the "W". What does bother me, though, is the spacing between the "L" and "O" and the "O" and "W" appear to be unequal.

What does bother me, though, is the spacing between the "L" and "O" and the "O" and "W" appear to be unequal.

They are, and it's deliberate. An L gets less space next to it due to the large gap that is created by the letter iself.

It's an old logo. The rules of typography we all know today weren't always at the forefront of a design education, and design is not always done by professionals, either. The mismatched S is probably just a relic of the time, not a boardroom faux pas.

Lowe's really should fix the S and ditch the apostrophe and large L to make their brand more international. It's not mom and pop any more.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 1 month later...

I just noticed a similar issue with this on The Hunger Games cover. Bugs the hell out of me.

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

Yep, definitely can't unsee that one either.

Yeah. But even the font, in general, doesn't even look that great, though.

spacer.png

I just noticed a similar issue with this on The Hunger Games cover. Bugs the hell out of me.

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

Yep, definitely can't unsee that one either.

Yeah. But even the font, in general, doesn't even look that great, though.

I agree the font itself is terrible.

IUe6Hvh.png

One of my biggest complaints with the local Lowe's here in Eugene is that their building has a horribly, horribly disproportionate logo. Look how small the wordmark is in comparison to the blue "canton" area. It's like they ordered the wrong size placards and signage for the building and then just said, "ahh.... f*** it."

http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.048008,-123.145838&spn=0.01294,0.01929&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.048007,-123.145688&panoid=TWVd6sLa36PKiZdZ1b2L4Q&cbp=12,354.05,,0,5.81

Are you sure it's not a result of the local sign ordinance? I used to work for a grocery chain in NY, and we ran into that issue frequently. The worst case was a store that we were opening in Ithaca. The sign ordinance there was highly restrictive. Even after getting a variance to double the size, the sign we put on our building was still far smaller than what we typically used... on a facade that was full sized.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure it's not a result of the local sign ordinance? I used to work for a grocery chain in NY, and we ran into that issue frequently. The worst case was a store that we were opening in Ithaca. The sign ordinance there was highly restrictive. Even after getting a variance to double the size, the sign we put on our building was still far smaller than what we typically used... on a facade that was full sized.

Precisely my guess, also.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

I don't believe there is a sign ordinance in place. I can't find any great photo evidence at the moment, but within just a few blocks stand a WalMart, Target and Home Depot, all with mega-big signs.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't believe there is a sign ordinance in place. I can't find any great photo evidence at the moment, but within just a few blocks stand a WalMart, Target and Home Depot, all with mega-big signs.

Actually many cities have how large your signage can be, it just depends on building codes, but most of those are for the ones close to the street and not on the actual building which you can argue that it is part of the building design.

• 1 month later...

While shopping at Lowe's today, I found a display celebrating their anniversary. Included were these three pictures that demonstrate that the Lowe's type-mark, including its inconsistency, is largely unchanged since at least the 1960's, if not the 50's.

2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,5003.jpg?partExt=.jpg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,5004.jpg?partExt=.jpg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,500

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

This hurt my eyes. I can't unsee it now. Thank you for making my day though.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Yeah but those are kinda more towards the outskirts of Eugene, so who knows if a possible sign ordinance exists for that area. If you look at Fred Meyer next door their font is pretty small, although that's a bad example considering it's like that too over on Santa Clara as well as every other Fred Meyer I've seen.

But thanks to this thread for not only ruining my ignorance towards the logo but to pianoknight as well for ruining my trips down W 11th lol

Kinda surprised some of you NASCAR fans didn't catch onto this one sooner! ^_^

I would guess that's because generally speaking, NASCAR fans are too loyal to their team: nothing they do can be considered "wrong" (and I won't start a discussion on the wrongs of this particular team...)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• 2 weeks later...

Archived