brandIDENTITY: Rumble In "The Jungle"

tBBP

This set really isn't anything too terribly special, but I figured since I was stuck detained at a shipper just south of Cincinnati the other day, I'd go ahead and put some finishing touches on a Bengals concept I started long ago and just never did anything with.

The reason this is nothing special is because...well...I pretty much reverted back to the pre-2004 look, which I believe was the Bengals' best look--but with a certain few touch-ups. For one, even though I've included three separate logos in the package (one of which I believe is the monogram the Bengals should've went with the first time)...none actually appear on the uniform itself. Don't see the need; the tiger-stripe motif (which I've also kinda re-versioned here) is "logo enough". To that end, the TV numbers are moved to the sleeves. And speaking of those numbers, for those of y'all who remember the NPC set I made for the Bengals (they are all right here)...I drafted out that set a long time ago; now you'll get to see what the rest of them look like. I'm a fan of unique numbers...so long as they're tastefully done and actually look like they belong as part of a font family, and since I pretty much interpreted them from the Bengals' current wordmark, I feel they fit the bill.

Anyhoo, here's the set for you to see (wasn't able to put together a PMA frame with this one--those files are back at home)...a rather quick mock-up of my version of the Cincinnati Bengals. (Oh yeah, I should mention: there is an inherent riddle hidden within this set...you Cincy-area denizens might be able to figure it out.) Have at it...

CINbengals_stylebook1.png

CINbengals_stylebook2.png

Lemme know what's up... ~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Damn it Buc, you always come up with the best ideas. The tiger C is such a smart move. I'm not totally sold on the font however. I rather like their current font. Jerseys are simple, which is what they need. Nice work. And Buc, I have a feeling that if you were to make a Jaguars concept, it could be exactly what they need.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Buc....you're the man. I think this is the best Bengals concept I've ever seen. This is pretty much exactly how Cincinnati should look, and is the direction they should have gone in modernizing their brand. You've taken that classic, quintessential Bengals identity and have put your stamp on it beautifully. Very well done, as is your work time and time again.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

As usual, great stuff here, Buc. The "C" is a huge upgrade...I know you hate monograms with the team nickname letter, so it's a rather obvious change here. Not a huge fan of the wordmark font, specifically the A. I think what's not sitting quite right is the left leg of the A...I think it needs to be as thick as the right one. Also, I'd tighten up the space between the N and G a bit. The gap's just a bit large, especially with the serifs filling the G-A space.

I think it's fantastic. C definitely represents the city better than the current B doe.s Other than the logo change, the jersey changes are clearly huge upgrades to the current design... Gotta love the hooped shoulder design, it would be welcome return to the past. I like that you made the number font a little blockier. The elimination of the drop shadow is also an improvement. Black pants look nice.. I'm a little worried that the tiger stripes on the pants are a little too... looping for lack of a better word. The way it swirls with the smaller stripes looks pretty cool but I don't know how well it would translate on someone's leg (especially a big guy). Overall, though, this is what the Bengals should be wearing. One more thing... maybe try orange socks with the black jerseys? Nice work.

This set really isn't anything too terribly special, but I figured since I was stuck detained at a shipper just south of Cincinnati the other day, I'd go ahead and put some finishing touches on a Bengals concept I started long ago and just never did anything with.

The reason this is nothing special is because...well...I pretty much reverted back to the pre-2004 look, which I believe was the Bengals' best look--but with a certain few touch-ups. For one, even though I've included three separate logos in the package (one of which I believe is the monogram the Bengals should've went with the first time)he reason this is nothing special is because...well...I pretty much reverted back to the pre-2004 look, which I believe was the Bengals' best look--but with a certain few touch-ups. For one, even though I've included three separate logos in the package (one of which I believe is the monogram the Bengals should've went with the first time)...none actually appear on the uniform itself. Don't see the need; the tiger-stripe motif (which I've also kinda re-versioned here) is "logo enough". To that end, the TV numbers are moved to the sleeves. And speaking of those numbers, for those of y'all who remember the NPC set I made for the Bengals (they are all right here)...I drafted out that set a long time ago; now you'll get to see what the rest of them look like. I'm a fan of unique numbers...so long as they're tastefully done and actually look like they belong as part of a font family, and since I pretty much interpreted them from the Bengals' current wordmark, I feel they fit the bill.

Anyhoo, here's the set for you to see (wasn't able to put together a PMA frame with this one--those files are back at home)...a rather quick mock-up of my version of the Cincinnati Bengals. (Oh yeah, I should mention: there is an inherent riddle hidden within this set...you Cincy-area denizens might be able to figure it out.) Have at it...

CINbengals_stylebook1.png

CINbengals_stylebook2.png

Lemme know what's up... ~Buc

IMHO, this concept makes the Bengals look more like Shere Khan and less like Tigger.

To answer some things:

I should've mentioned up front?and this was pretty much the case when i first went to this current setup of mine?that the display is set up not so much to show which pants/socks should be worn with what tol, but rather, to show all the options. So theoretically, these teams could mix and match these items.

As far as the script font...i'm right there with you, Shum...but you'll have to talk to Mark Verlander about that; he designed it :P (if I'm not mistaken).

And no takers on the hidden riddle??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

To answer some things:

I should've mentioned up front?and this was pretty much the case when i first went to this current setup of mine?that the display is set up not so much to show which pants/socks should be worn with what tol, but rather, to show all the options. So theoretically, these teams could mix and match these items.

As far as the script font...i'm right there with you, Shum...but you'll have to talk to Mark Verlander about that; he designed it :P (if I'm not mistaken).

And no takers on the hidden riddle??

You are currently in Colerain Township, Hamilton County, Ohio, just Northwest of Cincinnati. (Yay for me being an expert in Geography!!! And I've never been to Cincinnati.)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

The biggest improvements are the primary logo, switching the B to a C, and the number font is a HUGE upgrade. I really don't like how the stripes are crammed into a stripe (if that makes sense...). The modern way the Bengals do it is very good. Their issue is with excessive panel inserts, yokes, etc. I think something similar to what they have now, but without the fluff, and your number font would look awesome.

I pretty much made that exact font when I was doodling at work once! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought their number font should reflect the logo/ word mark! Nice work! I agree though that you could do the striping pattern similar to the current pants but not tapered or zebra striped.

I really like this. I do not care for the current Bengals' jerseys. They are gaudy. This reminds me of how they used to look...and should look. Makes me think of Cory Dillon, Bruce Pickens, and even Icky Woods.

CARL Pickens!

Ha. Oops. I guess my memory of the 1990s is slipping away from me faster than I thought.

Somewhat of a guess, but is #27 referring to Route 27? I don't know who/what Colerain is.

So close...and yet, not quite.

Correct about the jersey nunber referring to US-27, a route I've become quite familiar with lately, as it's one of the main corridors for truck traffic through Cincinnati. The name of that street? Colerain Avenue. And now you know the riddle.

(To the guy who mentioned Colerain Twp/Hamilton...i do quite a few runs up in that area?but that's not where I was when I put this together. I was on the Kentucky side of Cincy, at the LaFarge Gypsum plant in a small little town called Silver Grove...which is actually one of our primary focus operations.)

i prefer the direction of the current uniforms to the old. its a much more original design and the tiger stripes fit the uniform better than they do in the narrow elements of old. you've executed this direction about as well as can be done though, so seeing that you accomplished what you set out to do, its a great concept. i just dont like the style at all.

i dont see the point of changing the secondary logo to a "C". what does this accomplish? if anything, the identity loses originality because, though no one will mistake the two teams marks, there is already a NFL team with an orange "C" which comes with a ton of brand equity.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived