Johnny Canuck Logo Petition

VancouverFan69

This to me seems like the obvious solution if they were even interested in making another change. It's not more cartoon-y than the whale

Canucks.png

Well done but I'd prefer to see the letter "V". As we've discussed in other threads, if there is only one letter representing the team, I think it should be for the city rather than the mascot.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Canuck is so minor league-ish, I can't believe the love it has around here. The orca is a great logo for the region, it just needs some color tweaking. Most people hate it because of its tie to a corporation, why does that matter really?

This.

The Canucks have the best looking uni's in the league, don't mess with them. Though i love johnny Canuck, he should be on the chest of the third uni's with the current 3rd's shoulder patch ( V with johnny's head ).

The Stick-in-Rink logo should be the primary. Johnny Canuck and the Orca should be secondary logos.

Johnny Canuck symbolizes the region as much as an Orca. Before 'Canuck' came to mean 'Canadian', it was used as a word for lumberjacks and forestry workers. BC's economy is heavily dependent on forestry. It is similar to Edmonton using the name 'Oilers'.

Orcas, while BC does have them, are not nearly as common as people seem to think. Unless you go out whale watching, you're unlikely to see an Orca. People seem to think Vancouver has Orcas splashing around in English Bay and False Creek all the time. If used at all, it should be used as a secondary logo similar to Calgary's horse logo. That symbolizes the region and I don't hear flames fans praising it all the time. Symbolizing the region is important, but using the Orca is like the New England Patriots using a lobster as a logo because Lobster fishing is common in New England, or the aforementioned Flaming Horse. If you ask me, the Blue & Green colour scheme represent the region better than the Orca. If you're all so hung up on the idea of representing the region I don't understand why you have a problem with the 'Vancouver' above the logo. It represents the region.

From a design standpoint, the Orca is an absolute mess. It's an overly complicated and abstract idea. An Orca designed in the artwork style of local native tribes smashing through ice to form a 'C'. The logo tries to convey speed and momentum, but it being in a C throws it completely off. It's too detailed, with extraneous things like ice shards and too many borders. 2 other Canadian teams use a 'c' as a logo, so it just seams redundant. It is completely devoid of green, which is all over the uniforms and a key component in the colour scheme, while adding black and silver, which aren't found anywhere else. It will age horribly, and it just screams '90s. Like we've discussed, if you're going to use a letter it should be that of your city and not your mascot. And let's not forget that aside from being in a 'C', it has nothing to do with the name 'Canucks'.

The stick-in-rink is a logo that is just simple enough while retaining just enough detail that it will stand the test of time. In a similar vein to the Bruins, it works well but can be updated to reflect the current era. Most Canucks fans I know identify with the rink the most.

Very, very well said. I've said exactly the same thing regarding orcas leaping in and out of English Bay which is simply not the case at all. A club's crest should not reflect the region unless the team name does. For example, soccer's Vancouver Whitecaps not only have three mountain peaks in their crest, they are snow 'whitecapped' mountains. The blue and green already state the area where the Canucks are from. Also, if the Penguins can have a skating penguin logo, which is beloved in Pittsburgh, then a skating Johnny Canuck logo can look just as good on a Canuck uniform.

The Canucks have the best looking uni's in the league, don't mess with them. Though i love johnny Canuck, he should be on the chest of the third uni's with the current 3rd's shoulder patch ( V with johnny's head ).

I just don't get the like for the Orca whale design. It's a great concept but its illustration style is very dated and not in a good dated way. Johnny Canuck would be a great alt, couple times a year design but the stick in C is well done, minimal, and timeless. That would be the best, classic, well designed look to stick with for years and years.

The Stick-in-Rink logo should be the primary. Johnny Canuck and the Orca should be secondary logos.

Johnny Canuck symbolizes the region as much as an Orca. Before 'Canuck' came to mean 'Canadian', it was used as a word for lumberjacks and forestry workers. BC's economy is heavily dependent on forestry. It is similar to Edmonton using the name 'Oilers'.

The stick-in-rink is a logo that is just simple enough while retaining just enough detail that it will stand the test of time. In a similar vein to the Bruins, it works well but can be updated to reflect the current era. Most Canucks fans I know identify with the rink the most.

>>>>>

Agree, stick in the rink primary

but ... re-tweak it, hockey ice is white, not blue. The original blue had white ice, I saw 'em play the Sabres in '70-'71 ... I don't mean that exact logo, just tweak it better than that one with the ice rink white.

Johnny Canuck ... as secondary patch or alternate is cool .... but as I said prior, he's just gotta have a 'plaid' sweater.

The Orca ... shelf it for good.

johnny.png

I came up with a concept for the Sacramento Kings to go with when they build their new arena and go neo-retro.

qF1eS.jpg

It's a basketball court! It's not very well done, but we're early in the design process. Already, it is minimal and timeless. I feel it "screams Sacramento" in a lot of ways, namely that the sky is blue and things exist that are red. And for those of you who can't see the secret symbolism...

EzNme.jpg

Frankly, I'm surprised I thought of it first!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

>>>>>

Agree, stick in the rink primary

but ... re-tweak it, hockey ice is white, not blue. The original blue had white ice, I saw 'em play the Sabres in '70-'71 ... I don't mean that exact logo, just tweak it better than that one with the ice rink white.

Johnny Canuck ... as secondary patch or alternate is cool .... but as I said prior, he's just gotta have a 'plaid' sweater.

The Orca ... shelf it for good.

johnny.png

I never liked the Stick 'n Rink inverted. It looks way too plain, unlike the inverted logos of the Leafs, Flames, and North Stars. The white 'C' inner border stands out a lot more with the white stick and the silver outlining around the green is a nice little touch compared to a blue 'C' that is overshadowed by the green border.

I came up with a concept for the Sacramento Kings to go with when they build their new arena and go neo-retro.

qF1eS.jpg

It's a basketball court! It's not very well done, but we're early in the design process. Already, it is minimal and timeless. I feel it "screams Sacramento" in a lot of ways, namely that the sky is blue and things exist that are red. And for those of you who can't see the secret symbolism...

EzNme.jpg

Given the current trends in uniform design, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if something like this happened. At least in the NHL, there are good logos to throw back to. The NBA? Yeah that retro 76er's logo is simply a wonder :rolleyes:

qF1eS.jpg

EzNme.jpg

Given the current trends in uniform design, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if something like this happened. At least in the NHL, there are good logos to throw back to. The NBA? Yeah that retro 76er's logo is simply a wonder :rolleyes:

Love the 76ers' retro logo. The thirteen stars represent the original thirteen states and Philly was the U.S. capital at the time.

Love the 76ers' retro logo. The thirteen stars represent the original thirteen states and Philly was the U.S. capital at the time.

It's 13 generic stars surrounding a generic 76 on a generic basketball in a generic colour scheme. Makes the 90's logo look like a work of art

I think Johnny Canuck would look great on the front of a sweater.

This concept proves it (you have to picture real white, though):

VAN2.png

But still, what BBTV said.

Very nice concept. I would replace the vintage white with regular white and I would add green accents to the numbers. The V-neck lace up is a nice touch.

I think Johnny Canuck would look great on the front of a sweater.

This concept proves it (you have to picture real white, though):

VAN2.png

But still, what BBTV said.

Very nice concept. I would replace the vintage white with regular white and I would add green accents to the numbers. The V-neck lace up is a nice touch.

I like the antique white but I would put Johnny on the shoulders and put the CV logo on the front.

I'd love to see Johnny Canuck, either full bodied or head/V, become the team's primary mark.

That being said, internet petitions rarely, if ever, work.

It worked for Buffalo Sabre fans. Remember the SabresNotSlugs website? If you don't shoot, you don't score. It's more than worth a try.

It remember that ... it was known as 'FixTheLogo.com' ... collected over 30,000 signatures, and the website was created after the leak before it ever even became official. Horrible logo! I thought it was a joke at first, never thought they'd go thru with a logo like that.

With the exception of the logo, I thought that '06-'07 set were the best uniforms the Sabres ever had ... I've always said they should have kept 'em but used the alternate 'B' logo with the Sabre-sword stuck thru it and dump that stupid Buffaslug.

slug.gife09pngsebcwr6b3beize.gif

Sabres and Canucks came into the NHL together in '70-'70 both clubs dropped their minor league logos and uniforms. First time Vancouver came to the Aud I liked the Canucks uniforms & logo, especially after they gave it a slight tweak from the 70s, whereas I've never liked the Sabres original logo, even after it was tweak .... Zzzzzzzz, boring !!!

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

Henrik+Sedin+Ryan+Kesler+Montreal+Canadiens+pjcha217QBPl.jpg

You are so right. That is a sparkling uniform. And the key component is the original logo...not the bastardized one now slapped on the shoulder.

Buffaslug stuff removed.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

Henrik+Sedin+Ryan+Kesler+Montreal+Canadiens+pjcha217QBPl.jpg

You are so right. That is a sparkling uniform. And the key component is the original logo...not the bastardized one now slapped on the shoulder.

I just don't get it. That logo is all sorts of awful, the Orca is leaps and bounds above it (though it could use better coloring). At least the Orca has some kind of symbolism for the area. The stick and rink is just that, a generic stick and rink. They aren't the Vancouver Hockeys. Just because something is old doesn't make it good. It's terrible and lazy design. If that was brand new today people would be up in arms about how bad it is, so why the love affair now? Especially, but not limited to, fans born in the flying skate era. Somebody please explain this to me.

For the record those are the best jerseys the Canucks have ever worn. Pure class, just pop some names on the back and you've got a perfect look.

Ignore the compressed quality of the images but...

canucks.gif

For starters, the one on the left actually looks somewhat like a "C," and the silver outline gives it so much needed dimension. Never understood why the stick intersects through the boards on the original.

I am beginning to agree with you guys about the striping on the inaugural jersey though. Looks clean and sharp.

Archived