Johnny Canuck Logo Petition

VancouverFan69

Ignore the compressed quality of the images but...

canucks.gif

For starters, the one on the left actually looks somewhat like a "C," and the silver outline gives it so much needed dimension. Never understood why the stick intersects through the boards on the original.

I am beginning to agree with you guys about the striping on the inaugural jersey though. Looks clean and sharp.

I love both versions of the Stick 'n Rink. At first, I did not like the updated version. Thought it looked too crooked. A year later, I bought a key chain with this logo and it suddenly grew on me...the white inner border reflected the 'C' and the angled closeup of the stick gave the logo some "action". When the thirds came out in '08, the logo looked even better.

As for the original Stick crest, I always thought that the the whole body of the logo was to reflect a thick block-style 'C'. Kind of like taking a rectangle and drawing a horizontal line in the centre and extending it to the right end. I may be wrong but when the stick breaks through the green border, I now think the green border was meant to emphasize the 'C' element.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the set the anniversary jersey was based on...

canucks01.png

It's a good thing they went with the white one because as good as that looks, it's blue counterpart looks like complete rubbish. Those shades of Blue and Green should never touch

canucks.gif

For starters, the one on the left actually looks somewhat like a "C," and the silver outline gives it so much needed dimension. Never understood why the stick intersects through the boards on the original.

I am beginning to agree with you guys about the striping on the inaugural jersey though. Looks clean and sharp.

I actually think both logos have their problems. They went too far when they tried to modernize the original. The dimensions of the stick and of rink are wrong, which in my opinion make the logo look cartoony.

The original logo has nostalgia, but I think it's starting to look very dated.

I think if they mixed the two logos it would look great. I made these logos months ago in MS-Paint, so they aren't the best quality, but there an example of what I think the best logo for the Canucks would be.

Vancouver-Logoboth-1.png

(Shameless plug)

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

canucks.gif

I actually think both logos have their problems. They went too far when they tried to modernize the original. The dimensions of the stick and of rink are wrong, which in my opinion make the logo look cartoony.

The original logo has nostalgia, but I think it's starting to look very dated.

I think if they mixed the two logos it would look great. I made these logos months ago in MS-Paint, so they aren't the best quality, but there an example of what I think the best logo for the Canucks would be.

Vancouver-Logoboth-1.png

(Shameless plug)

I'm 51. The Canucks entered the league when I was a kid and I identitfy the fledgling franchise with the original stick in rink logo. And I say it has stood the test of time and did not need to be "modernized." Why can't we just enjoy the sparse simplicity of a stick in a rink? Why must there be a C or or some "action" in the logo?

A stick. A rink. It's hockey. It is proud and bold. There is no other logo like it. It is Vancouver hockey.

Buffaslug stuff removed.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, these to me are sharp, maybe put Johnny Canuck on the shoulder. They one posted by 'Gothamite' looks just too minor league-like IMO. The Orca with Vancouver above it looks way too busy.

Henrik+Sedin+Ryan+Kesler+Montreal+Canadiens+pjcha217QBPl.jpg

You are so right. That is a sparkling uniform. And the key component is the original logo...not the bastardized one now slapped on the shoulder.

I just don't get it. That logo is all sorts of awful, the Orca is leaps and bounds above it (though it could use better coloring). At least the Orca has some kind of symbolism for the area. The stick and rink is just that, a generic stick and rink. They aren't the Vancouver Hockeys. Just because something is old doesn't make it good. It's terrible and lazy design. If that was brand new today people would be up in arms about how bad it is, so why the love affair now? Especially, but not limited to, fans born in the flying skate era. Somebody please explain this to me.

For the record those are the best jerseys the Canucks have ever worn. Pure class, just pop some names on the back and you've got a perfect look.

The Modern stick in rink is perfect, the old one I agree isn't that great, but it's become ingrained into the hockey culture here. Boston for example, is not the "B's in a circle with 8 spokes adjoining its", but their logo works. While the stick in rink doesn't have as much history behind it, It's something fans here recognize. The modern one actually has a C and looks great. Out of all the logos the Canucks have had, it ages the best and is the closest they've come to having a 'timeless' logo.

As for the Orca logo, they're also not the Orcas. The logo is way too busy and abstract, and the colours are terrible. Most fans also associate it with the darkest days of the franchise. The simple stick in rink looks good on the simple jerseys. The busy orca on the simple jerseys looks like a copy-pasted mess. I don't get all the commotion about 'representing the area'. The blue and green does that perfectly, and so does Johnny Canuck. If representing the area is the argument for keeping the Orca, why do people have a big problem with the 'VANCOUVER' written above it? While we have Orcas, they're not nearly as common as people seem to think they are. You have to go out whale watching if you want to see them. They're not splashing around in the water around downtown.

I do agree with you though, if you were to put namebars on the jerseys and maybe a shoulder logo it would make the best jerseys they've had even better.

I think you took what I said too literally. I do agree that the updated logo is far superior to the generic crap they rolled out in 1970, it's a very serviceable shoulder patch but should be nothing more.

The spoked "B" actually plays directly off the cities nickname. Our Napoleonic complex makes us think we're the hub of the universe. The B sits on top of a hubcap, so it works.

Here is the set the anniversary jersey was based on...

canucks01.png

It's a good thing they went with the white one because as good as that looks, it's blue counterpart looks like complete rubbish. Those shades of Blue and Green should never touch

Funny. Until recently I had thought that logo was some sort of smiling whale face. Sick in rink is much more appropriate.

• 1 month later...

Archived