OHL in Hamilton?

nash61

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's never going to be an NHL team in Hamilton.

If the Hamilton Bulldogs are indeed off to Laval, then the OHL would be a good fit for the market, certainly better than a Montreal affiliate was for a satellite of Toronto. Copps Coliseum is oversized for major-junior, but no more so than the past and present NHL arenas in the Dub. Just close off the upper deck.

As for the OHL footprint, this would be an upgrade as well. Having an American team that wasn't on the border nor in Michigan never seemed very sustainable to me. It'll make for much easier travel, especially for St. Catharines and the GTA teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From watching CHCH (Hamilton/Niagara news channel), they interviewed the owner of the Bulldogs and he said that even if the Habs take their affiliate to Laval, the Bulldogs are staying in Hamilton.

I kinda have the feeling that the Senators are going to end up with the Hamilton Bulldogs, and the Habs will move the Binghamton team to Laval. Binghamton has a crap arena, and apparently a lot of the players hate the fans and and city itself.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

From watching CHCH (Hamilton/Niagara news channel), they interviewed the owner of the Bulldogs and he said that even if the Habs take their affiliate to Laval, the Bulldogs are staying in Hamilton.

I kinda have the feeling that the Senators are going to end up with the Hamilton Bulldogs, and the Habs will move the Binghamton team to Laval. Binghamton has a crap arena, and apparently a lot of the players hate the fans and and city itself.

Like that will work any better than Montreal's farm team would. :rolleyes:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But it's not working badly for the Bulldogs now... it's the Habs who want to make a change, and its so they can have their farm club in their backyard like the Leafs do.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

But it's not working badly for the Bulldogs now... it's the Habs who want to make a change, and its so they can have their farm club in their backyard like the Leafs do.

Hamilton is 23nd in the AHL for attendance, and many Hamiltonians (myself included) will cheer for the Marlies rather than cheer for a rival's farm team. Move Ottawa in, and the same thing happens.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I have heard this rumor for a couple of weeks now, but until today, I didn't think a ton about it. I find it interesting that they will play at Mountain Arena, For those who don't know how small it really is, here is a photo of it. I'm not sure if it still looks the same because from what I hear, it was renovated a couple of years ago. I can't imagine an OHL game here (again).

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/mountain.htm

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I have heard this rumor for a couple of weeks now, but until today, I didn't think a ton about it. I find it interesting that they will play at Mountain Arena, For those who don't know how small it really is, here is a photo of it. I'm not sure if it still looks the same because from what I hear, it was renovated a couple of years ago. I can't imagine an OHL game here (again).

I work at Mountain Arena every week. It seats 2,500 people. It now has a centre-ice scoreboard, and the renovations helped immensely. Though it seats 2,500, the way that the halls and stuff are constructed, I can't see it as an OHL rink. However, for the actual game experience, it would be the best arena in the league.Because it's so small, there isn't a bad seat in the house. The players would be forced to interact with fans (there's no dryland warmup space for the visiting team, so they often warm up in the lobby), but that would make for an awesome experience for the fans. Also, because it's so small, if you get 2,500 screaming fans, it would rival the biggest arenas in the league for noise.

It has its pros and cons. I hope that they end up there, because that's my college's broadcast territory. :D

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The players would be forced to interact with fans (there's no dryland warmup space for the visiting team, so they often warm up in the lobby), but that would make for an awesome experience for the fans.

The Sleeman Centre in Guelph is the same way. The rink is attached to the mall and the visitors warmup in the mall.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I work at Mountain Arena every week. It seats 2,500 people. It now has a centre-ice scoreboard, and the renovations helped immensely. Though it seats 2,500, the way that the halls and stuff are constructed, I can't see it as an OHL rink. However, for the actual game experience, it would be the best arena in the league.Because it's so small, there isn't a bad seat in the house. The players would be forced to interact with fans (there's no dryland warmup space for the visiting team, so they often warm up in the lobby), but that would make for an awesome experience for the fans. Also, because it's so small, if you get 2,500 screaming fans, it would rival the biggest arenas in the league for noise.

It has its pros and cons. I hope that they end up there, because that's my college's broadcast territory. :D

It will strictly be a temp location. The ultimate goal would be to play at Copps if the AHL Bulldogs are unable to continue or build a brand new arena.

There was an updated Spec article that talks with Andlauer who said that if he can't get a new affliation with another team, he would be interested in becoming part owner of the new Hamilton OHL team (which is kind of strange to say since this is actually the old one) and bringing the Bulldogs brand with him.

Anyway, as I said in other places, the Steelhawks are coming back home! (dance)

tigercatssignature-1.png

If the AHL leaves, this would be a great opportunity to rip apart Copps and renovate the hell out of it.

I've been there for concerts, wrestling and, hockey. The place is a :censored: hole. Besides the massive bathrooms that is.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It will strictly be a temp location. The ultimate goal would be to play at Copps if the AHL Bulldogs are unable to continue or build a brand new arena.

There was an updated Spec article that talks with Andlauer who said that if he can't get a new affliation with another team, he would be interested in becoming part owner of the new Hamilton OHL team (which is kind of strange to say since this is actually the old one) and bringing the Bulldogs brand with him.

Anyway, as I said in other places, the Steelhawks are coming back home! (dance)

I can see Stuart Hyman (current Hamilton Red Wings owner) making a pitch for the team. A bit of history on him.

http://www.thestar.com/article/861974#article

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If this happens, I wonder if the Otters would switch their name to the Mustangs :lol:

And wear these jerseys? (Pic is of the Hamilton Red Wings)

23847_328131098762_509568762_3612041_7116881_n.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Hamilton is 23nd in the AHL for attendance, and many Hamiltonians (myself included) will cheer for the Marlies rather than cheer for a rival's farm team. Move Ottawa in, and the same thing happens.

It doesn't seem like the Marlies are faring much better in Toronto (21st). Wouldn't Hamilton make a perfect spot for a Leafs farm club?

Sidenote, but I just about s**t myself when I saw that Milwaukee drew 14,000 fans last night. Then I remembered that the game was played at a Dropkick Murphy's concert.

If the AHL leaves, this would be a great opportunity to rip apart Copps and renovate the hell out of it.

I've been there for concerts, wrestling and, hockey. The place is a :censored: hole. Besides the massive bathrooms that is.

Really? Of all the places in an arena to not be a :censored: hole.

It doesn't seem like the Marlies are faring much better in Toronto (21st). Wouldn't Hamilton make a perfect spot for a Leafs farm club?

It would, yes, but MLSE owns the Ricoh Coliseum, so the Marlies must be valuable enough as a loss leader/calendar filler that they're worth keeping in place.

Given that an AHL affiliate of anyone other than the Maple Leafs cannot succeed, and there's never going to be an NHL team there, I think the OHL and Hamilton are the best match.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The vote was supposed to be today, but has been postponed.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived