OHL in Hamilton?

nash61

It doesn't seem like the Marlies are faring much better in Toronto (21st). Wouldn't Hamilton make a perfect spot for a Leafs farm club?

It would, yes, but MLSE owns the Ricoh Coliseum, so the Marlies must be valuable enough as a loss leader/calendar filler that they're worth keeping in place.

Given that an AHL affiliate of anyone other than the Maple Leafs cannot succeed, and there's never going to be an NHL team there, I think the OHL and Hamilton are the best match.

No, MLSE operates it, but the city owns Ricoh Coliseum.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hamilton is 23nd in the AHL for attendance, and many Hamiltonians (myself included) will cheer for the Marlies rather than cheer for a rival's farm team. Move Ottawa in, and the same thing happens.

It doesn't seem like the Marlies are faring much better in Toronto (21st). Wouldn't Hamilton make a perfect spot for a Leafs farm club?

Sidenote, but I just about s**t myself when I saw that Milwaukee drew 14,000 fans last night. Then I remembered that the game was played at a Dropkick Murphy's concert.

If the AHL leaves, this would be a great opportunity to rip apart Copps and renovate the hell out of it.

I've been there for concerts, wrestling and, hockey. The place is a :censored: hole. Besides the massive bathrooms that is.

Really? Of all the places in an arena to not be a :censored: hole.

lol, touche.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The City of Erie deserves the Otters and I see no reason why they should leave. The arena is undergoing a massive renovation and have had great attendance figures in the past. You can't say just because it's a US city they can't support hockey, because they have. You also can't blame the fans for not showing up this year. The Otters have won 9 games! If anyone is to blame it's management, and threatening to move the team won't fix anything. How moving a team from an arena that will seat over 6k to a small arena that seats a few thousand will be a good move is beyond me.

Colour me skeptical. Somebody signed a MOU with the City of Hamilton on Dec. 21st to align itself with league rules regarding relocation. If David Branch is pulling a Gary Bettman, I'm going to have to reassess my views regarding him...

Edit: Just had a weird thought, what if it's actually the Phoenix Coyotes, and this is all smoke and mirrors to cover that fact...? :ninja:

tigercatssignature-1.png

The City of Erie deserves the Otters and I see no reason why they should leave. The arena is undergoing a massive renovation and have had great attendance figures in the past. You can't say just because it's a US city they can't support hockey, because they have. You also can't blame the fans for not showing up this year. The Otters have won 9 games! If anyone is to blame it's management, and threatening to move the team won't fix anything. How moving a team from an arena that will seat over 6k to a small arena that seats a few thousand will be a good move is beyond me.

Moving to the Dave Andreychuk arena would be strictly a temp move. If the Bulldogs lose their affliation and can't find a replacement then they get Copps Coliseum, if the Bulldogs get a new affliation, then they build new...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Edit: Just had a weird thought, what if it's actually the Phoenix Coyotes, and this is all smoke and mirrors to cover that fact...? :ninja:

Then I would wonder what changed, seeing as the NHL has fought harder against having a team in Hamilton than any league has ever fought against anything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Moving to the Dave Andreychuk arena would be strictly a temp move. If the Bulldogs lose their affliation and can't find a replacement then they get Copps Coliseum, if the Bulldogs get a new affliation, then they build new...

So why move away from a city where they have fans to a small arena temporarily? Even with no guarantee they can even move to Copps or get a new arena, while they are already guaranteed a completely renovated arena in Erie? Makes zero sense to me...If for some reason the Otters decide to move, their will be another OHL team occupying Tullio Arena in a few years. Do you really want another city to lose their team?

Then I would wonder what changed, seeing as the NHL has fought harder against having a team in Hamilton than any league has ever fought against anything.

I told you it was just a weird thought. I would think that what is changed is the plans for the Markham arena. I would imagine the MLSE would want to try to torpedo any attempt to have a competing arena in their backyard.

But it's just a pie in the sky wild speculation. All signs point to the Erie Otters moving to Hamilton, so David Branch's denial is...curious...

tigercatssignature-1.png

So why move away from a city where they have fans to a small arena temporarily? Even with no guarantee they can even move to Copps or get a new arena, while they are already guaranteed a completely renovated arena in Erie? Makes zero sense to me...If for some reason the Otters decide to move, their will be another OHL team occupying Tullio Arena in a few years. Do you really want another city to lose their team?

It's a chance to be the first to jump at an opportunity. In addition to the possibility of Copps becoming available there have been developers for years looking to build an OHL style arena of 9,000 to 10,000 seats in the area. I think the idea of bringing home a franchise that won two Memorial Cups for the city also has a certain romance to it...

tigercatssignature-1.png

The OHL may want to be in Erie because it allows them to claim the entire state of Pennsylvania, one which is producing more hockey players than ever, for priority selections. To that end, I'm very surprised they don't have a team in Western New York, unless junior hockey has already decided that the OHL gets all native New York Staters.

It's a chance to be the first to jump at an opportunity. In addition to the possibility of Copps becoming available there have been developers for years looking to build an OHL style arena of 9,000 to 10,000 seats in the area. I think the idea of bringing home a franchise that won two Memorial Cups for the city also has a certain romance to it...

...and again all you can say is there's a possibility or chance at an arena availability or one being built. Completely ignoring the fact that they will have an arena the same size in Erie. There's no possibility or speculation about that, it's a fact.

This is like saying...well we should move the Toronto Raptors to Baltimore. There's a chance they can play at 1st Mariner Arena, but until that happens they can play at the UMBC Retriever Activities Center. Even though the Air Canada Center is nice and Toronto supports the team. We're going to move them to a city with absolutely no guarantee they will have support and not even a guarantee of a decent place to play.

...and again all you can say is there's a possibility or chance at an arena availability or one being built. Completely ignoring the fact that they will have an arena the same size in Erie. There's no possibility or speculation about that, it's a fact.

This is like saying...well we should move the Toronto Raptors to Baltimore. There's a chance they can play at 1st Mariner Arena, but until that happens they can play at the UMBC Retriever Activities Center. Even though the Air Canada Center is nice and Toronto supports the team. We're going to move them to a city with absolutely no guarantee they will have support and not even a guarantee of a decent place to play.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you wait too long then you lose your opportunity to the next guy. And Hamilton is too large a market with too much hockey history to wait around for...

tigercatssignature-1.png

It doesn't make a lot of sense to move from Erie to Hamilton, but major junior teams move for poor or no reasons all the time. North Bay to Saginaw is one that just sorta happened just because, I think. Hamilton should be in the OHL one way or the other, though. Maybe they should get Brampton's team, which is only like ten minutes away from Mississauga's.

Why is Cleveland McCleveland stepping up so big for Western PA like this, anyway?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to move from Erie to Hamilton, but major junior teams move for poor or no reasons all the time. North Bay to Saginaw is one that just sorta happened just because, I think. Hamilton should be in the OHL one way or the other, though. Maybe they should get Brampton's team, which is only like ten minutes away from Mississauga's.

Why is Cleveland McCleveland stepping up so big for Western PA like this, anyway?

Either Brampton or Mississauga has to go, and my guess it will have to be Brampton. It wasn't so much a mistake to put teams in those cities, but the locations of those arenas (especially Brampton's) are very puzzling.

I saw, I came, I left.

He lived in Erie I believe. Posted a concept for an Erie HS a couple of years back. Not sure why I remember that.

6fQjS3M.png

Either Brampton or Mississauga has to go, and my guess it will have to be Brampton. It wasn't so much a mistake to put teams in those cities, but the locations of those arenas (especially Brampton's) are very puzzling.

Brampton isn't going anywhere. Scott Abbott is rich as all hell and loves his team. It's staying put.

I'd tend to say that Mississauga isn't going anywhere either. They have a great building and a good owner too. They just need to start drawing more.

Edit: why are the arena locations puzzling? Just curious as to why you say that.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Brampton isn't going anywhere. Scott Abbott is rich as all hell and loves his team. It's staying put.

I'd tend to say that Mississauga isn't going anywhere either. They have a great building and a good owner too. They just need to start drawing more.

Edit: why are the arena locations puzzling? Just curious as to why you say that.

I did think about the ownership, both owners are very wealthy. But, I think even the most wealthy owners would have some breaking point.

In the case of the arenas, Brampton, having it almost literally at the border of Mississauga, doesn't really help with anyone that lives in other areas of Brampton.

The Hershey Centre isn't in the best area as well. In addition, having the arenas almost right off Kennedy Rd. within 5km of each other isn't in the best interest of both teams. (I know, that's the cities undoing)

I saw, I came, I left.

I did think about the ownership, both owners are very wealthy. But, I think even the most wealthy owners would have some breaking point.

In the case of the arenas, Brampton, having it almost literally at the border of Mississauga, doesn't really help with anyone that lives in other areas of Brampton.

The Hershey Centre isn't in the best area as well. In addition, having the arenas almost right off Kennedy Rd. within 5km of each other isn't in the best interest of both teams. (I know, that's the cities undoing)

I guess I see that to a point.

But the one thing that you can say is that both arenas are bought and paid for by their respected cities so the owners don't need to worry. Also they are both surrounded by community/rec centers with tons of parking, so I don't think it's really all that horrible. I can't speak for 'sagua but I know Brampton added bus lines to help get people to the games.

I don't know if you know this or not, but there is a reason the Powerade Centre was built where it is. They mayor of Brampton (at the time) was trying to attract the Blue Jay's AAA affiliate as well. The Powerade was to be built on the west side of the 407 and the proposed baseball stadium was to be built on the east side, and the 407 was going to build a cloverleaf at kennedy to make the access to the stadiums easier to get to. Sadly that never happened, but that is the little known story for the positioning of the Powerade.

I'd tend to say that Mississauga isn't going anywhere either. They have a great building and a good owner too.

Brampton isn't going anywhere yet. Scott Abbot is committed to the last year of their arena lease (2012-13). And from what I hear, Mississauga won't be going anywhere for a long time because they like have another 15 years on their lease.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Archived