Lights Out's NHL Series

Lights Out

Here's the next team.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

re5vW.png

y5ra7.png

6c45n.png

I kept the current navy and green, but as I felt the current scheme was lacking another color, I brought back the light blue from the pre-Edge uniforms. The primary sweaters feature a sublimated "Flying V" with the skating Johnny logo, and sleeve trim meant to form V shapes. However, the alternate sweater is the one I like the best out of the three. The stick-in-rink is used as the crest, and the striping is based on it.

Those jerseys look cool. Love the idea of making Johnny the primary, which it should be. However, I see those jerseys with the designs they have as third jerseys, not as primaries. I would certainly get my wallet out to buy one of those beauties, though!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Canucks concept. The sublimated V is genius. While I like the idea of adding another shade of blue on the primaries, I'm not sure about an alternate in that blue. I would try a green alternate with the stick-in-rink logo. I've always thought Vancouver could rock out a green alt. While the current alt is nice, it doesn't catch my eyes as much as the primaries.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Here are the next three teams:

DETROIT RED WINGS

bXS0V.png

rtTsP.png

The Red Wings have a classic, old-time hockey look, but I feel like it's missing some consistency and visual interest. I added white sleeves on the home sweater to match the road, used a proprietary number/NOB font to match their script, and added silver (to imply chrome).

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

4PF78.png

5DVWL.png

For the Maple Leafs, the biggest change is the sleeve trim, which is meant to reflect the maple leaf shape on their logo. I also went back to their old custom font, and simplified the hem striping.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

V43R4.png

wXxO3.png

z9f8A.png

Because the 'Canes are a new team without a lot of history, I decided to take some big risks, going with an asymmetrical, curvy two-tone design that I felt matched well with their logo. The color scheme is brightened up, with charcoal (to represent storm clouds), powder blue (to represent rain), and red (to represent the storm warning flag). Yes, they would wear the powder blue sweater at home... and I know I messed up the hem striping a bit, but you get the idea.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What I'd say for the first teams has already been said, so I'll just comment on the new stuff:

That is flat out exactly what the Penguins should wear (BUT ditch the gradient on the numbers). Bravo.

The Leafs are obviously a traditional team, but as a concept, this looks good.

The silver is unnecessary and the logo is too big.

I'm really digging the creativity behind Vancouver (the incorporation of the "V" and sticks into the striping) and St. Louis (the guitar strings).

Oh, and isn't it supposed the be CCM? Why the RBK logo on the backs of the necks? :P

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Here are my comments--team by team

Overall--some good ideas, and some good execution

Lightning-Cool idea, but needs some more contrast, and I've never been a fan of the Florida map on their logo. It just looks wrong.

Bruins-The alt is a bit bland--but the primaries could work.

Flyers--No--just no--those colours & stripes just don't mesh, but nice idea for the Captain's C--maybe a bit forced, but I like it.

Caps-They need to be Red White & Blue given their name--but the colour scheme & striping would work for someone else--I like that part

Oilers-Better than their blue & orange look Although a lot of people like that--the logo is still kind of stuck in the 70's. With this look, maybe a more dramatic redesign.

Kings-a bit bright, but it works except for the stripes, they look more like sharp teeth than crowns. I'd lose that and the alt--it seems too forced

Blues-It's okay--I like their older unis from when they started in the NHL, but the alt has potential with some tweaking to smooth it out. Sp are the 5 stripes to correspond to a music staff?

Canucks-Johnny's a bit big, but the idea is pretty good-the use of colour & striping is good, even the faint V

Flames-Here's where I get picky, as their my team. It's a nice idea, but the Flames could be bolder, and gladly it's not overwhelmed by black. However lose the alt and shoulder patches---ARGGHH! it's flaming horse snot! I never liked the logo. Few tears were shed by Flames fans when they dumped that logo.

Penguins--I was never a fan of the look you based this on, so not much I can say that way--just not my style.

I'm looking forward to more.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Okay--you added three while I was typing-

Wings-Player names are too small & logos too big--but I don't have an issue with how you made the sleeves more consistent.

Leafs-It's okay, the leaf on the sleeve could be obscured by the glove though.

Hurricanes--yes you took a risk--in this case it didn't work--they look thrown together without much though--almost at random--and yes I read your reasons for the colours, but it still looks random. These don't work for me.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Wings - Old English "D" on the shoulders. Keep the nameplate / number font they use now.

Canes - I like the storm flag on the hockey stick they use for their black alternate. I think that should be the primary. I wonder how it would look on your concept?

mainescarf.png

Very interesting.

Wings: numbers too big in the back, logo too big, but OK

Leafs: I would use them as alt. I like that.

Canes: I don't like the colours, but like the design.

Your Canes numbers would not show at all on TV or even for the crowd. Need some at least some sort of outline. The best is always to contrast the shape or the numbers themselves with the background.

But I like your creativity.

light blue??????? what were you thinking????? not for the canes(however the jets would look cool like this)

red wings look nice.

the leafs have a bunch of history. what you did here is perfect for an alt, but not a regular jersey.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Wow, great ideas.

NASH: The teeth are just a bit too thick. This makes the logo a bit too small. Not sure about the name under the number. Some here will tell you to remove the gradients. I am not against. But, overall, Wow

FLA: Sure, OK.

Just a little commment, I would love to see an update on your Lightning.

i like the panthers, but the preds dont look like the preds.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Nashville

• Get rid of the light blue; it's unnecessary
  • Go with their current logo. The way this is coloured is so...unbalanced
  • I like the idea of the teeth/slashmarks, but here it's overdone. Make them thinner and put them only as far down as the logo
  • Get rid of the gradient numbers
  • Put the NOB above the numbers

Florida:

Nice.

NYI:

Ehh...The logo you used would make a nice shoulder patch or alternate logo, but it sucks the character of their logo. In this one, they're just "New York", not the "New York Islanders". However, the alt logo could work as a primary - just make them "switch roles", so to speak. I'd also ditch the light blue and go with the NHL block font for the numbers. I'd add a white waist stripe on top of the orange on the home, and a blue one on top of the orange for the road. The alt looks to be based off of Fishsticks, which most Islanders fans like to pretend never happened. If you want an alt, go orange.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived