Lights Out's NHL Series

Lights Out

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did you remove the "H" from the Canadiens' logo?

Because their team name is the Canadiens, not the Habitants. I've never understood why the "H" was ever there in the first place.

I tried various methods of replacing the "H" with an "M" for Montreal - even experimenting with a Whalers-esque negative space M that also worked in the H... but I couldn't get it to look quite right. Then I tried using just a cleaned-up version of the C, and liked how it looked.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why did you remove the "H" from the Canadiens' logo?

Because their team name is the Canadiens, not the Habitants. I've never understood why the "H" was ever there in the first place.

I tried various methods of replacing the "H" with an "M" for Montreal - even experimenting with a Whalers-esque negative space M that also worked in the H... but I couldn't get it to look quite right. Then I tried using just a cleaned-up version of the C, and liked how it looked.

"H" doesn't stand for "Habitants". It stands for hockey, as in the team's official name "le Club de hockey Canadien".

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yep. The idea that the "H" stands for "Habitants" is just an urban legend. As Still MIGHTY said, the "H" stands for "hockey."

Their 1912-17 logo used an A instead of an H because, at the time, the team's official name was le Club Athletique Canadien.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=6385

Ah, I didn't know that. You learn something new every day, I suppose... also doesn't help that I'm not a huge hockey fan (which is part of the challenge involved in doing this series for me).

That being said, the fact that the "H" stands for "hockey" doesn't change my opinion on its uselessness. We know they play hockey. It'd be like the Yankees having an "NYB" logo on their uniforms. Yes, we get it, they're a New York-based team that plays baseball, we can see them playing it. It's the same reason why I can't stand the trend of "Baseball Club" and "Hockey Club" roundels.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ah, I didn't know that. You learn something new every day, I suppose... also doesn't help that I'm not a huge hockey fan (which is part of the challenge involved in doing this series for me).

No worries. Many hockey fans assume the H stands for "Habs."

Also, while I may not like some of your design choices here, they're certainly unique and refreshing. Sometimes you need an outsider to present a different take on things, to mix it up from time to time.

That being said, the fact that the "H" stands for "hockey" doesn't change my opinion on its uselessness. We know they play hockey. It'd be like the Yankees having an "NYB" logo on their uniforms. Yes, we get it, they're a New York-based team that plays baseball, we can see them playing it. It's the same reason why I can't stand the trend of "Baseball Club" and "Hockey Club" roundels.

Well the thing is, they didn't just add the H for hockey because they play hockey. The team's official, legal name is the "le Club de hockey Canadien." As far as I know a lot of the teams that add the "hockey/baseball club" element to their logos don't actually include those words in their team's official name. The Canadiens, however, do.

Loving the series in general. Nice to see some creativity for sure. I personally don't agree with some of your design choices (from a "what if they actually used this" standpoint), but I love seeing these ideas. Anaheim looks great, though I would have gone with a triple number outline, white/black/yellow on the home for example. Also I love that logo. The Sharks look sweet, I love those sleeve stripes. Not sold on the straight hem stripes, but overall it looks nice. And that alternate is insane, in a good way.

But the Wild are my favorite (team and concept haha). Again, I wouldn't want them to do this in real life, mostly because I don't want to see the current colors disappear. However, this concept is incredible. The overall jersey design is perfect, and the color balance you achieved is wonderful.

Please do continue to post these concepts, I'm loving the creativity here.

The Wild look great. Really nice concept.

I love the idea for the Jets, but it's just not working for me. The path leading into the plane looks really forced.

For the Canadians, I understand thinking that the H is worthless, but it really take a lot of character out of the logo and makes it look rather generic. Hate to say, I think this one is a downgrade.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Kinda getting a Padres vibe from it. Also it's very close the German flag on the hem. It's definitely different, and for that I like it. It's especially good when it's out of the box and you clearly put a lot of work and thought into it. Maybe you could do defunct teams like the Seals, Nords, or Thrashers.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived