Which MLB cap style do you prefer.....

johnnysama

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the Low-Crown 5950s are still made in the U.S. The one I picked up a few months ago is U.S. made.

I've never bought one, but you're probably right. Low crowns are kind of a specialty item so they're not produced to the same extent as New Era's other caps.

I liked the low pro style New Eras (39-Thirty?) because of my big head. Unfortunately, I can't find them anywhere. I don't really like the round bill look, seems like a rec league team with the mesh trucker hats (this coming from a baseball traditionalist). That, and the little, bonnet or whatever on the brim and above the ears of the BP hats is just horrendous. One of the worst things baseball has ever done.

• 2 months later...

I need some hat help. Thankfully, this is probably the ideal group of people to ask.

So, I bought a White Sox 59Fifty. They haven't had my size available in the Low Crown style, so I bit the bullet and bought the standard at Lids today. Going in, I knew the high crown wouldn't look all that great on me, but I've been assured I can "lower" the crown myself. I've tried a few methods and have gotten only OK results. So, my question to you guys:

What's the best method you know to lower the crown of a 59Fifty so it gets more "molded" to your head?

I need some hat help. Thankfully, this is probably the ideal group of people to ask.

So, I bought a White Sox 59Fifty. They haven't had my size available in the Low Crown style, so I bit the bullet and bought the standard at Lids today. Going in, I knew the high crown wouldn't look all that great on me, but I've been assured I can "lower" the crown myself. I've tried a few methods and have gotten only OK results. So, my question to you guys:

What's the best method you know to lower the crown of a 59Fifty so it gets more "molded" to your head?

If its the new poly material rather than wool, you're basically SOL. It wont shrink and pulling the buckram out will just screw up the shape. If it's one of the US made caps you may have some luck using heat from an oven or a stove but you have to be extremely careful and I really wouldn't recommend it as it will literally melt like plastic if you leave it in too long. If its a Chinese made version, you might as well return it or use it for toilet paper.

If its the new poly material rather than wool, you're basically SOL. It wont shrink and pulling the buckram out will just screw up the shape. If it's one of the US made caps you may have some luck using heat from an oven or a stove but you have to be extremely careful and I really wouldn't recommend it as it will literally melt like plastic if you leave it in too long. If its a Chinese made version, you might as well return it or use it for toilet paper.

I don't know what I'm gonna do if my wool cap falls apart. I love it.

If you still have a wool cap, pull the buckram out, then run it under boiling hot water in your bathtub and shampoo it, rinse it, and condition it. Then go running on a hot day. It'll shrink to fit your head, and it'll fade a little in the sun. I've actually wrung some dye out of my Cubs hat a few times. It looked too indigo to me.

Love my 59fifties.

As for the low crown, a site minorleagues.com, sells alot of them.

The site looks quite dated, but I recently bought a hat and some others have bought hats from there with no issues.

Since losing 125 pounds, I definitely think the 5950's are too boxy for me now, they looked ok on me when i was fat, since it prob made me face look a but smaller lol.

But now I def prefer the new era adjustable version.

FF_245510_xl.jpg

Lower profile, and it will always fit. Also got the blue alt version of this.

Only problem i have it seems it may be replaced by 47' brand adjustable, while I love 47' brand's cotton hats, their adjustable seem a bit boxier.

Update: I've had some success using the "rub-a-warm-wash-cloth-over-crown-and-press-down-to-fit-your-head" method. Tried wetting the area and using a hairdryer a bit. I may try ironing it a bit. Tomorrow night I'll try the_admiral's soak-it-and-go-for-a-run method. It's definitely better already. I'm hoping some more attention tonight and tomorrow will have it ready for the Sox/Cards series starting on Tuesday, the start of three straight days at Busch where I'll be rocking the hat.

Oh, and for those that asked, it's Polyester, and made in the US. I've had some

I've got about 8 '47 brand franchises but just received my 59fifty low crown this week. It's a great hat but I really dislike the inability to have any curve on it, I wear a 7 3/8 but have a narrow face so the bill looks rediculous. Anyone have luck getting a permanent curve?

I've got about 8 '47 brand franchises but just received my 59fifty low crown this week. It's a great hat but I really dislike the inability to have any curve on it, I wear a 7 3/8 but have a narrow face so the bill looks rediculous. Anyone have luck getting a permanent curve?

The curved bills in all my hats in my previous post above are all permanent. I've never had any problem getting a curved bill. I just sort cup the bill with both hands and work it in. Then I wear the cap and the curve of the bill naturally forms to my forehead. Really, very little work. I've never had a cap that didn't keep the curve, they always stay. I have heard some people curve the bill and stick it in a coffee mug, to get a deep, lasting curve that way. Guess you could give that a try if the other way doesn't work.

Mesh is fine for Batting Practice hats, as it would, or at least should, match the Batting Practice jersey. The little trim/lip they have on the bill and above the ears is terrifying. Matching a mesh hat with an everyday uniform is a disgrace. That being said, I do like somewhat lower crown. To me, it looks a little more traditional. I think think somewhere between the 59FIFTY and the 39THIRTY lies the right crown height... possibly a 49FOURTY?

Archived