I present to you the tackiest baseball stadium

BadSeed84

I think it looks good except for a huge mistake. Blue seats really stand out when empty. Green seats look more traditional and better when empty.

They should have went with green seats

Green seats or blue seats...doesn't really make a difference when no one is sitting in them.

I think the Marlins attendance will surprise most this year, but that is exactly my point.

When no one is sitting in them blue seats jump out at you while green seats blend in.

Really depends. The green seats in Oakland for example look very empty when no one is in them. The blue seats in San Diego don't look nearly as empty when they are...

It's lighter colored seats that look really bad when empty, like reds and orange IMO.

I'm still standing by the fact that blue seats jump out when empty much more than green.

Green just looks much better overall

75.jpg

p8050295.jpg

All depends on how dark the blue is. The darker the blue the less they stand out (but then that's true of any color). For example the seats at Petco Park in San Diego are a darker shade of blue and don't look nearly as bad when not filled. Part of the problem is also being indoors in both cases at Tropicana and Marlin Park.

17_petco_park_view_from_left_field-copy_09_06_11.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the huge white pylons in left field and the even larger ones holding up the roof. Just something about it screams bland to me.

Well from some of the outdoor pics, it looks like there will be accent lighting on the pillars. Perhaps there would be the opportunity for different colors, similar to the Bank of America building in downtown Miami.

Overall I think it's pretty cool. Definitely the top buzz in the MLB, perhaps all season long.

I'd be curious to see if the area a few blocks away will evolve into a fan-friendly pre- and post-game neighborhood hang out spot (the area near West Flagler) for a "Latin Wrigleyville". Could be pretty unique.

I was there for Belen-Columbus and Marlins-Hurricanes. It's a beautiful facility that highlights the architecture of SoFla well. The color works really well in dividing the ballpark and bringing some character to the building. The super columns in the east plaza have this lighting system that makes it look as if the stadium were 'breathing.' It is also extremely loud compared to cavernous JRS.

The skyline view is absolutely gorgeous at sunset when the buildings reflect the glare. The left field standing room only area is going to be fantastic when completed. There is a stark difference in the atmosphere when the roof is open and closed. But that's the case in all domed stadiums.

There is still working being done. Scaffolding in some areas, drywall still being places, no flags, banners, dusty in some areas, etc.

It's the talk of the town right now. Marlins have 15,000 STHs for 2012, sold 130,000 tickets on Saturday (first day of sales) and 1.345 million so far.

After going to games at JRS for years, I am being ecstatic about this building.

1997 | 2003

*didn't ead the other 6 pages*

It's nice to see the stadium before it's overrun with corporate sponsorhips ads.

Someone (I think in this thread) mentioned how they thought the green walls almost looked like they could be green screens, allowing for virtual advertisements. Now that I see these pics of the field, I have to say I agree. Anyone heard any news about Marlins Park doin this? That's probably not the case, but I suppose anything is possible in a park that has a fish tank behind homeplate.

90758391980.gif

Whilst the 'all the walls are green screen' idea is interesting, I don't think it would work. The one on the backstop works because things can be 'projected' onto it very easily because it's normally in a stationary camera shot with no obstructions, most shots of the outfield wall however the camera's in motion & there are players and other things happening in front of the wall. Neat idea, but probably right now technically unfeasible

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

You can anchor your renders to the green screen if there's a certain kind of pattern on the green screen. There are still too many variables at work to make the whole thing green-screen, and it's a logistical folly -- if you want nonstop, ever-changing advertisements, why not just make the whole wall a TV screen?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whilst the 'all the walls are green screen' idea is interesting, I don't think it would work. The one on the backstop works because things can be 'projected' onto it very easily because it's normally in a stationary camera shot with no obstructions, most shots of the outfield wall however the camera's in motion & there are players and other things happening in front of the wall. Neat idea, but probably right now technically unfeasible

I know MSG now superimposes Chase and Subway logos onto the glass behind each net on their Ranger telecasts, and when the camera pans or zooms in/out a little they stay in place, so it looks like they're decals on the glass itself. I'm sure they could do something similar, but then nobody would see it in the park. However, in a hockey rink, they're in ADDITION to everything around the boards, not in PLACE of them.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Thank ballpark looks awesome! Better than both Chicago parks put together!

Lets not be crazy now. Wrigley Field is easily one of the top 3 parks in baseball.

What's the other two?

As for me...

If older was better, I should be getting more attention with a vast variety of victims I mean young women!

Wrigley was the first MLB ballpark I attended. I used to walk to Wrigley from home before I discovered better baseball across town, so I know Wrigley well.

I've been to twenty MLB ballparks since. By no means a world record.

IMHO?

Wrigley ranks last for players (not that I strapped it on, but the team's (lack of) success is telling! Ask Ozzie G.

Players, coaches, managers, management & owners have come and gone. The one constant is Wrigley and (the majority of) day baseball.

Cubs last was in a World Series when teams had equal number of daytime first pitches.

- The Marlins will play more night games, should be no rainouts or snow outs. Marlin players with have better training facilities and comforts for the modern professional athletes.

- Many good Free Agents factor the previous two items, which Wrigley cannot supply. I believe the Cubs could've convinced the Angels' #5 to come here with a better facility and retractible roof. (dreaming)

Wrigley ranks first for folks socializing, partying with clothes on and ignoring the game of baseball for the most part!

- It's a toss up but Marlins park will compete here.

Wrigley ranks very low for "baseball" fan support (see above) "Baseball" fan support does NOT mean attendance to me. Game attendance is NOT something I judge my ballpark experience on.

- Marlins fans, like White Sox fans will come out for a winning team, especially the first year in the new park. But Chicago and Miami offer lots to do in summer beside watching poor baseball.

Wrigley ranks third in ballpark location in terms of aesthetics. Ivy and Rooftops are not bad, but can't beat Cincy's riverfront and Pitt's riverfront and skyline.

- Despite stadium design to close out muggy or wet weather, the photos I have seen so far show me beautiful site lines include Miami's petite skyline (compare to my hometown) Don't forget the palm trees!

If bar hopping is synonymous with MLB baseball for you, Wrigleyville is tops from what I saw. If one prefers dancing with same sex, even better (I'm not judging here)

- A Google Earth viewing of the "aquarium's" 'hood (never been there) shows Wrigleyville has them beat.

Beware, crime rate near Wrigley is annually worst than around U.S. Cellular Field. More people, more targets for criminal activity? comment sense!

- I am ignorant of the Miami neighborhood the Marlins play in.

Wrigley ranks last for people comforts under the stands. Although some grew up peeing in stinky communal troughs!

- Every modern ballpark I was in has Wrigley beat in people comforts, Miami wins this one with one fin tied behind their dorsel fin.

Wrigley ranks near bottom for food. My team south of Wrigley ranks first. But that doesn't ease the pain of only one World Series win in my lifetime!

- I don't know if traveling Cubs fans can find the quiche, buffalo wieners and wine spritzers in Miami. Although a constant smell of seafood would be a turn off for me and confusion to blind fans in attendance.

Wrigley ranks just above old Cleveland Stadium (last place) for seating comfort, but very last for aisle traffic. Wrigley does not allow for fans roaming the entire perimeter of the field which I like to do.

- Modern seats designed for modern butts, Not a comfort issue but Wrigley can't even match the color of replacement seats!

Wrigley ranks tied in 2nd place with 19 parks for beer. Not Miller Park, nor Busch Stadium, but Target Field had the largest choice of beers I recall. I prefer Pepsi and tolerate Coke myself. I like seat cup holders, straw & lids.

- No comment here on if Miami beats Wrigley here

Wrigley ranks last for what I, as a baseball fan like the most from a good MLB ballpark. I like Miller Park and Target Field for the diverse seating locations one can sneak into to catch the ball game from different angles.

- Once again, based on the photos, Marlins ballpark kicks Wrigley's ass in this area.

Thus, my opinion Marlins Ballpark is better than Wrigley Field (I threw in U.S. Cellular in originally for emphasis)

By the way, my favorite MLB parks are:

St. Louis Busch Stadium III (the current one)

Houston Minute Maid Park (don't eat the food)

Milwaukee Miller Park

Pittsburgh PNC Park

(all NL, and I am an AL fan!)

Yes, you are right about me, I am crazy?. crazy for baseball today, not in the turn of the century.

You may proceed with your normal daily activities.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Will PETA go crazy and complain about the aquarium, saying that it's wrong for the fish to be out in a loud ballpark like that?

Loud? Miami? beatingadeadhorse.gif

But seriously, don't give them any ideas?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

well, it's a hell of a lot better than the stadium they used to play in!

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

well, it's a hell of a lot better than the stadium they used to play in!

That depends on how often the place is empty. It could resemble their old stadium pretty quickly if the team blows.

As far as the ballpark goes, it resembles what the locker room should look like in 2012 - a circus.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh good one of my least favorite posters ever has offered a long and poorly written post about how much he doesn't like the Cubs; it's a beautiful day. Stereotypes ahoy!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Will PETA go crazy and complain about the aquarium, saying that it's wrong for the fish to be out in a loud ballpark like that?

Loud? Miami? beatingadeadhorse.gif

But seriously, don't give them any ideas?

"Expect a PETA protest on Opening Day 2012"

You have got to be f***ing kidding me.

3cd8a33a.png

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I'm sorry, but this ballpark is what Miami needs.

Would I want it replacing any parks in the Midwest? No. But this isn't New York, or Boston, or Chicago...THIS IS MIAMI! It's not some uber-traditional sports city which needs a cathedral for its park, it's a place which is known for lavish living...the ballpark (and the identity) is a reflection of that!

Not to mention, the place is MUCH smaller than Joe Robbie Pro Player Dolphins Dolphin LandShark Sun Life, and BUILT for baseball. Expect it to at least be more appealing and get more fans to come out, so at least it won't be the eyesore most Marlins games for the last decade have been.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived