I present to you the tackiest baseball stadium

BadSeed84

My thoughts:

1. I would've loved to see orange walls rather than bright green, to tie in with the marlins new identity.

2. The CF home-run-thingy is growing on me in a strange way...

3. Strange to see so little amount of seats in LF.

4. Cool to see it totally uncluttered by ads. In a few weeks, the place will look much more tacky.

5. Overall I love that someone finally did something different. STL, WAS, CIN, PHI and the like may all be nice but there's nothing unique about them.

Best part about the ballpark? You can walk all around the field on the concourse and still have a great view of the field. I literally walked around on Tuesday and did not have a terrible view. I almost would prefer to hang out at the bar in CF/OF then in my seats (Row 6, 3B).

The only place you can't see a good view of the field is directly behind the CF structure, but who would be standing in CF. I can see about 1,000 to 1500 standing room only tickets sold easily.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*didn't ead the other 6 pages*

It's nice to see the stadium before it's overrun with corporate sponsorhips ads.

Each sponsor has to fit into a color profile. Coke Red Logos in the red area, Pepsi Blue in the blue, and so on. It has me thinking it's going to be M&M park after the naming right deal, but I can see Pepsi Park, with Mountain Dew (Green), Pepsi (Blue), Dr. Pepper or Gatorade(Red) and Sierra Mist (Yellow) being incorporated to each color.

Will PETA go crazy and complain about the aquarium, saying that it's wrong for the fish to be out in a loud ballpark like that?

Loud? Miami? beatingadeadhorse.gif

But seriously, don't give them any ideas?

"Expect a PETA protest on Opening Day 2012"

"An aquarium filled with fish behind home plate isn't the smartest idea in the world, but PETA thinks the Marlins' plan for ambiance is inhumane."

Of course it's inhumane, their fish for christ's sake. STFU PETA, go back to standing infront of my local KFC telling me I'm a sinner for eating abused chicken. I'll keep smiling while taking a early bite of my chicken leg from the bucket.

Will PETA go crazy and complain about the aquarium, saying that it's wrong for the fish to be out in a loud ballpark like that?

Loud? Miami? beatingadeadhorse.gif

But seriously, don't give them any ideas?

"Expect a PETA protest on Opening Day 2012"

"An aquarium filled with fish behind home plate isn't the smartest idea in the world, but PETA thinks the Marlins' plan for ambiance is inhumane."

Of course it's inhumane, their fish for christ's sake. STFU PETA, go back to standing infront of my local KFC telling me I'm a sinner for eating abused chicken. I'll keep smiling while taking a early bite of my chicken leg from the bucket.

The thing is...the fish in the tank don't have feelings. They don't know what "inhumane" is. They're not sitting there thinking about great the ocean would be. All they think about is the next meal. I'd think, if anything, they'd rather be in the fish tank than constantly avoiding predators.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's only PETA. I'd be worried if Namor stepped in and called for the fish's freedom. Aquaman...well, I'd probably let the fish go but not before I get a ride on his giant seahorse.

Yes, fictional characters are scarier than PETA. Hell, pitas are scarier than PETA.

I'm sorry, but this ballpark is what Miami needs.

Would I want it replacing any parks in the Midwest? No. But this isn't New York, or Boston, or Chicago...THIS IS MIAMI! It's not some uber-traditional sports city which needs a cathedral for its park, it's a place which is known for lavish living...the ballpark (and the identity) is a reflection of that!

Not to mention, the place is MUCH smaller than Joe Robbie Pro Player Dolphins Dolphin LandShark Sun Life, and BUILT for baseball. Expect it to at least be more appealing and get more fans to come out, so at least it won't be the eyesore most Marlins games for the last decade have been.

Not only that, but considering I'll be able to go to a game and KNOW there WILL be a game I'll be more likely to buy a ticket. So many times at SunLife I'll buy a ticket the day of or at the ballpark just to make sure I avoid the rain or heat and even then I'd get stuck in one of the two.

I eventually got tired of it, and started getting tickets in section 456 at the last row underneath one of the jumbotrons. It provided a overhang to prevent gettign wet, and enough to be able to sit in the shade, until the jumbotron was renovated and closed the last row. I still climbed seats to get into them.

Picture a 21st birthday party with the birthday boy so drunk he didn't want to leave his seat because he'd be walked over by the cops. Yup, that was me, and I couldn't even walk afterwards.

Surprised no one's brought this up yet: 15-year-old Brent Diaz, a player in the high school game, was the first hitter to activate the HR tower. After the game Diaz also put to shame any MLB hitters who might complain about the tower as a distraction:

In a radio interview on Tuesday, Diaz was asked if the giant pop art tower was a distraction at the plate, as many Marlins players predicted it may be.

“I don’t know about all that,” Diaz said. “I didn’t notice that, I just saw the ball and hit it.”

Which is probably a good piece of advice for the Marlins.

CCSLC signature.png

Surprised no one's brought this up yet: 15-year-old Brent Diaz, a player in the high school game, was the first hitter to activate the HR tower. After the game Diaz also put to shame any MLB hitters who might complain about the tower as a distraction:

In a radio interview on Tuesday, Diaz was asked if the giant pop art tower was a distraction at the plate, as many Marlins players predicted it may be.

?I don?t know about all that,? Diaz said. ?I didn?t notice that, I just saw the ball and hit it.?

Easy to say that when you're facing a high school pitcher...

IUe6Hvh.png

Best part about the ballpark? You can walk all around the field on the concourse and still have a great view of the field. I literally walked around on Tuesday and did not have a terrible view. I almost would prefer to hang out at the bar in CF/OF then in my seats (Row 6, 3B).

The only place you can't see a good view of the field is directly behind the CF structure, but who would be standing in CF. I can see about 1,000 to 1500 standing room only tickets sold easily.

Not tryin to be an ass, but that's kind of old news in stadiums nowadays. I'd say that's been a given in stadiums built in the 2000's. The best part of the park in my opinion is definitely its originality and little quirks... and no more damn rain delays.

90758391980.gif

?I don?t know about all that,? Diaz said. ?I didn?t notice that, I just saw the ball and hit it.?

Easy to say that when you're in the major leagues too...

Not "I just saw the ball and hit it"

IUe6Hvh.png

So MLB hitters are just swinging at the wind and get lucky sometimes?

I was at the game and the HR feature did not go off. It's still under construction and won't be operational until the Yankees exhibition series.

But that kid was gliding around the bases. It was pure joy. Also got a standing O from the Belen side, which is amazing considering how bitter the rivalry is.

1997 | 2003

You don't think it's just a tad bit easier hitting a High School Junior or Senior than it is to hitting a guy who's skilled enough to make a Major League roster? You're arguing just to be argumentative. You know damn well what I meant. If the Marlins hitters think that that giant structure in center field might be a bit distracting while they're at the plate, facing the best pitchers in the world, you're not qualified to argue with them. Neither is a high school sophomore.

IUe6Hvh.png

Their uniforms are still infinitely more tacky than their Stadium. That being said, the Stadium isn't that bad.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Not tryin to be an ass, but that's kind of old news in stadiums nowadays. I'd say that's been a given in stadiums built in the 2000's. The best part of the park in my opinion is definitely its originality and little quirks... and no more damn rain delays.

Trust me, you felt like you were still sitting in the stands. It's a start contrast to sunlife.

Their uniforms are still infinitely more tacky than their Stadium. That being said, the Stadium isn't that bad.

Don't worry, the blue collar uniforms of Cleveland got old quick to me too.

I dont know about all that, Diaz said. I didnt notice that, I just saw the ball and hit it.

You don't think it's just a tad bit easier hitting a High School Junior or Senior than it is to hitting a guy who's skilled enough to make a Major League roster? You're arguing just to be argumentative. You know damn well what I meant. If the Marlins hitters think that that giant structure in center field might be a bit distracting while they're at the plate, facing the best pitchers in the world, you're not qualified to argue with them. Neither is a high school sophomore.

I think 95% of MLB hitters are suited for MLB pitching, and most high schoolers are suited for high school pitching. If high school hitters thought high school pitching was easy, they'd all have .900 averages and every kid in high school would be on the team. I'm really not arguing to be argumentative...in fact, it's a pretty reasonable argument. Your brain, coordination, and reaction time are far different at age 16 than they are at 25; auto-insurance companies make tons of money off of this information. And tennis is the same way. Most 15 year old tennis players can't handle a 140 MPH serve. But most pro tennis players in their 20's can. Equate that to baseball. The players have matured, they've seen a million more tennis balls or baseballs or whatever, and their body reacts differently.

I don't think Jose Bautista hits 80 billion home runs because he luckily guesses right 80 billion times. He can see the pitch and the rotation because his mind has become accustomed to seeing it. You ask any MLB hitter what pitches were thrown in an at bat, and they can tell you because they know what they just saw. Those players that have trouble picking up pitches get stuck in the minor leagues. That's why the minor league system exists.

Additionally, you don't become a MLB hitter by being the same hitter you were in high school. MLB players shouldn't have the same problems that high schoolers likely have when facing MLB pitchers.

And for the record, no Marlins player has been distracted. They thought they might be distracted...but turns out, they aren't.

That's pretty much how I look at it to.

The only thing I really don't like is that awful thing they have out in left-center. The other thing I'm not a fan of is the all blue seats. The rest of the stadium has alot of color to it and I think they missed out by just making the seats all blue. I see that with alot of teams though. I don't want to see colors for the sake of colors (ala Riverfront/Veterans Stadium) but I think you can do it in a very tasteful way (Fenway Park comes to mind) and I don't think many teams have taken advantage of it.

Otherwise I think its a very nice stadium. Its not the best looking park in baseball, but it is distinctly Miami.

That's pretty much how I look at it to.

The only thing I really don't like is that awful thing they have out in left-center. The other thing I'm not a fan of is the all blue seats. The rest of the stadium has alot of color to it and I think they missed out by just making the seats all blue. I see that with alot of teams though. I don't want to see colors for the sake of colors (ala Riverfront/Veterans Stadium) but I think you can do it in a very tasteful way (Fenway Park comes to mind) and I don't think many teams have taken advantage of it.

Otherwise I think its a very nice stadium. Its not the best looking park in baseball, but it is distinctly Miami.

Marlins could have done blue, green and yellow seats (maybe pink?), but it might have looked like a ripoff of the Dodgers.

Archived