I present to you the tackiest baseball stadium

BadSeed84

My first impression is that it looks kind of minor-league, and yet I can't put my finger on why I get that impression. Maybe because--at least from these pictures--it looks really compact.

rATMcmK.png

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you expect the developers to not have it in the game?

In fairness to sportstar, it was jut finished what, a few weeks ago? The game just came out about a week ago.

Finished in real life, maybe. The concept of the home run art piece and plans of the stadium have been floating around for about a year. It's not like it was a secret that was just installed a few weeks ago.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

Video has finally surfaced with the Home Run feature in motion:

Marlins Home Run Feature

:therock:

Already hearing that it may cause problems for lefthanded hitters.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/05/2675578/sculpture-at-marlins-park-might.html

I don't care how it happens but that thing needs to go and if the MLB has to step in to have it removed which I feel like is the only way it will be removed because its Jeffrey Loria's pet project (it had to be because nobody else would even think to put something like that in) then so be it. Its just too damn ugly.

Marlins Home Run Feature

Already hearing that it may cause problems for lefthanded hitters.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/05/2675578/sculpture-at-marlins-park-might.html

I don't care how it happens but that thing needs to go and if the MLB has to step in to have it removed which I feel like is the only way it will be removed because its Jeffrey Loria's pet project (it had to be because nobody else would even think to put something like that in) then so be it. Its just too damn ugly.

Nobody has complained about it after several exhibition games.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Marlins Home Run Feature

I imagine home runs will be met with a similar silence. The audience will just sort of stand there transfixed on watching this stupid amalgamation of a Vegas sign and a car wash. Hopefully players will start a pool to see who can hit it with a home run ball and hopefully destroy a crucial element.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

After seeing it in motion, my feelings on it haven't changed. If you're going to go out and dress your team in the style that the Marlins are, you might as well go all out with it. I kind of like that thing.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Marlinnns new stadium! (not my page), also I know theres prob some 200 page marlins thread somewhere, but cmon the stadium is basically done!

http://www.stadiumpage.com/construction/MarlinsPark_201200302.html

Gotta love how they have a sign that says BULLPEN with a down arrow, guess miami fans aren't too bright in their eyes lmao. (editL its its just for fanfest, than I guess its not too bad)

I think it looks great. Totally Miami, totally Florida. Seems perfect for them. And the pics and variety of pics is spectacular

Thanks for posting!

I'm posting an article from Deadspin that was put up yesterday, I think it sums up my own feelings nicely. Although I am still undecided about the aquarium, I'll have to see it during a game before I can fairly judge.

http://deadspin.com/5896573/the-marlins-home-run-sculpture-is-the-whirling-flashing-spouting-heart-of-baseball-at-its-best

The Marlins' Home Run Sculpture Is The Whirling, Flashing, Spouting Heart Of Baseball At Its Best [Mlb]

Tom Scocca Mar 26, 2012 5:47 PM - Show original item

Tacky! Boy, is that new kinetic sculpture beyond the Marlins' outfield fence tacky. Tacky like their tacky new uniforms are tacky. Tacky like the Miami Marlins' tackily alliterative revised name, highlighting the tacky metropolis they call home.

Take it as a gift from the gods of baseball. Not the pinched Puritan baseball deities worshipped by the likes George Will and Ken Burns?those false, flinty idols, consecrated in Green Cathedrals where only organ music plays. No, the real gods, the gods of a game popularized by breweries to get people to sit around in the sunshine drinking beer and hollering. Gods of the exploding scoreboard, the bullpen car, the canned-trumpet "CHARGE!" cheer.

Why shouldn't America's Pastime be gaudy? What's offensively vulgar is Houston, with its sand-and-rust uniforms and fake-quirky angles. Or the glassy revenue-maximizing opulence of Yankee Stadium, where the moneychangers have become the temple. Those are baseball's monuments to cynicism and bad faith. This thing with the leaping fish and flapping flamingos?it's shameless and guileless. Back in the days of Bill Veeck, baseball used to do this better than anyone. Names on the uniforms! Fireworks for home runs! Short-term deals for superstars! Fan voting on in-game strategy! That "PHOOOSH" of flying water is the echo of our lost national greatness.

The aquarium in the backstop is just stupid, though.

Archived