Tennessee Titans Concepts

Jezus_Ghoti

I don't do concepts too often because I don't really consider myself an artist/designer (certainly not at the level most of the people around here are at), but I love the Tennessee Titans and it bothers me that their uniforms are so flawed. I decided to try to fix the problems and my ideas ended up branching in two different directions. This is what I came up with.

Neither concept is anything too radical, but I think both of them fix a lot of the issues with the current Titans look (specifically, the poor balance of colors and the awful helmet logo and stripes).

My primary goal in creating the concepts was to fix all the problems with the Titans uniforms while keeping the number of changes to a minimum, which I think is the way that most teams should handle updates. My philosophy is that the Titans have a uniform that is mostly very attractive, but flawed in a few key aspects. I aimed to fix only the most glaring problems and not mess with anything else. I was careful to avoid change for the sake of change, as I believe that this can lead to trendy uniforms that quickly go out of style.

Titans Uniform Concept #1

The helmet remains white, but the stupid pointy stripes have been removed and so has the "thumbtack" logo. The flame motif remains and it is used in a way that is very similar to the wings on the Eagles' helmet. I believe this would give the Titans one of the most unique and appealing helmets in all of football.

Navy blue is de-emphasized in an attempt to get a better color balance in the uniforms. White and light blue now appear in a roughly equal ratio on both the home and road uniforms. The shoulder yoke on the home uniforms has been changed to white, as I believe it looks far more attractive, and the numbers on the road uniforms have been changed to light blue outlined in navy. The white pants that the Titans used to wear have returned and the navy pants have been eliminated from the set.

bDVLX.png

Titans Uniform Concept #2

I was a little more radical with the changes in this concept, although it still should be apparent that my goal was still to create a timeless Titans uniform and avoid trendy uniform design elements (curvy stripes, piping, etc.).

The most notable change here is the helmet. It is now light blue, a color that the franchise has worn in the past (as the Oilers) and a color that is unique in the NFL. The logo has been modified to remove the flames, giving it a much more understated and traditional appearance. I can't take credit for thinking of this helmet design--I have seen something very similar posted in a few places in the past and I'm unsure of the idea's exact origins (please take credit if it was your idea!).

The number font has been changed. Gone is the robotic font the Titans have always used and in its place is the font once worn by the Houston Oilers. It is a beautiful, classic font that still looks very modern today (especially since many teams have switched from block numbers to rounded numbers recently). Only one color of pants with this set--no mixing and matching possible.

CncFd.png

The yoke could use just a slight bit of piping to match the stroke on the numbers. Other than that, fantastic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I really like both concepts, and I'm struggling to pick which is better. The white helmet certainly stands out more, but would it age well? I'm not so sure, but I imagine the same thing was said of the Eagles' helmets when they were introduced. The other one fits the mold better, but with helmets changing so much, and the center stripe really being an anachronism now, I don't think changing to something so static is a good idea.

How about doing a bit of a hybrid here?

I like the light blue/white jersey on the first one, but I don't know that it would qualify as dark enough for a home jersey in all instances. I think you should add the navy/light blue jersey into the mix in your first concept.

Bringing back the Oilers font is a great idea. I think it gets a little too wide sometimes (the 8s and 0s are terrible for that imo, look how unbalanced 10 looks up there), so I'd say you should stretch it a bit, but that's just a personal preference. You should use the Oilers font on your first concept, too.

Probably the biggest problem you have with your first concept (which I suppose, the more I go along, the more I realize that I like it better), is that there's no longer an iconic logo to use with merchandising and promotions. Perhaps instead of the wordmark under the collar, put the thumbtack logo on the chest a la the Steelers. There probably isn't room at the end of the sleeves for it (maybe wordmark there? idk) but it sure would look good right on the front. If you include the flames, I'd make sure they face away from the collar. Give that a shot, see what you think.

And definitely never lose your presentation style. Far too many concepts get "meh"s because they're flat and it's hard to imagine what they'd actually look like in action. This clearly solves that problem. It really does bring the whole thing to life, and that is awesome in and of itself.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

the 1st helmet looks better. try combing the unis here like hockey week said.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

You will make a valid point using coherent English.

You will make a valid point using coherent English.

Anyhow, the uniform needs more red. This is an issue with the unis that they wear now, as red is totally absent from everything except the logo. I would add a thin, red keyline inside the numbers and pants stripes in between the dark blue and white(i.e., the orange that the Buccaneers use on their numbers).

Founder and Commissioner, World Gridiron

Really like the white flame helmet, but the jerseys in that set contain no red. It seems... off. Just a bit of navy and red trim on a primarily powder and white set of uniforms could look great.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived