Your teams worst all- time look?

UnclearInitial

That's a pretty clever jersey. The shoulder yoke represents the Golden Triangle. It would be kind of neat if all three Pittsburgh teams found a way to incorporate it, but the Steelers' look is too crystallized at this point.

That's what I figured. It's not the jersey that's flawed, per se. It's just the current look trumps it in terms of success. That's a shame too, because the uniform is excellent. I'm not saying that the Steelers should go back to it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered a good look.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty clever jersey. The shoulder yoke represents the Golden Triangle. It would be kind of neat if all three Pittsburgh teams found a way to incorporate it, but the Steelers' look is too crystallized at this point.

That's what I figured. It's not the jersey that's flawed, per se. It's just the current look trumps it in terms of success. That's a shame too, because the uniform is excellent. I'm not saying that the Steelers should go back to it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered a good look.

it's also a shame because the uniform the steelers currently wear is a sloppy load of horse :censored:.

PvO6ZWJ.png

North Carolina's worst look:

unc-19992000.jpg

It looked pretty good on Mya ^_^

mya-jay-z3.jpg

It's bad that the 1st thing I can think of whenever I see that video isn't "dat ass" but "That is an UGLY jersey."

I'm the same way. My 2nd thought is "dat ass".

I guess North Carolina thought, "We're North Carolina. We wear carolina blue. We shouldn't have to spell our name out on our uniforms." But, yeah you kinda do. A logo just looks goofy on the front of a baskeball uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

it's also a shame because the uniform the steelers currently wear is a sloppy load of horse :censored:.

This. If the Cowboys' "road" uniforms are the worst in the league, the Steelers' mess is a close second. Ugly number font, gigantic sleeve stripes, waaay too much white. Their throwbacks are not an improvement, either - same old horrid sleeve stripes. And don't even get me started on that helmet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

110803-kevinwillis-300px.jpg

So you think that look is worse than the zig-zag pinstripes and chest logo?

Correct.

I'll back that up. The purple on the front, black on the back look was stupid.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

That's a pretty clever jersey. The shoulder yoke represents

the Golden Triangle. It would be kind of neat if all three Pittsburgh teams found a way to incorporate it, but the Steelers' look is too crystallized at this point.

That's what I figured. It's not the jersey that's flawed, per se. It's just the current look trumps it in terms of success. That's a shame too, because the uniform is excellent. I'm

not saying that the Steelers should go back to it, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered a good look.

This. If the Cowboys' "road" uniforms are the worst in the league, the Steelers' mess is a close second. Ugly number font, gigantic sleeve stripes, waaay too much white. Their throwbacks are not an improvement, either - same old horrid sleeve stripes. And don't even get me started on that helmet.

The only thing I'd change is the number font. The stripes and the helmet really aren't a problem for me.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You're right on about the Padres. Give me the full mustards over any uni they've worn since dropping the brown/gold color scheme...

Here's my "second teams"...

San Diego Padres: hoo boy. I could put pretty much any uniform they've worn since dropping the brown-and-gold color scheme here, but I think I'll go with the 2001-2003 home jerseys (which were also used as alternates from 1998-2000. Not only did they rip off the Royals and Tigers in one fell swoop, they did a :censored:ty job at it. The script looked horrible in one color, and they completely removed orange, even on the caps. These bland, forgettable jerseys were tolerable as an occasional alternate, but there was no good reason to replace the pinstriped version with this as the full-time home uniform.

4ec48a64f0300.image.jpg

Second-worst goes to the new uniform set making its debut this season. Every single jersey is hideous, generic crap. They don't even try to have an identity anymore.

padres-new-unis.jpg

I owned the #6 jersey in this pic ages ago, in a moment of sheer lunacy I sold all my NHL and WHA game worn jerseys...seals_display_image.jpg?1275632566

When I saw the Seals come to the Nassau Coliseum, as they were coming onto the ice, one of the security guards says, "here come the Miami Dolphins"...

03-68team1966_97387.jpg

I've never understood the hate for this jersey. Could someone please explain it to me? If it's just that it's not the Steelers' iconic look, then that's a really weak argument as I think the design itself is fairly solid. Lots of bold, unbroken, uncluttered color. Hell, change the black to navy or green and you've got the Packers' look that many people agree should be their alt (if not their full-time uniforms).

Agreed, but that jersey had the fate of being worn by a losing Steelers team after the moderate success of 1958-63, and before the 1972-present run. Also, there were issues dry cleaning that type of jersey back in those days, with the sharp contrast in colors. I believe the Steelers will be bringing that jersey back as a throwback starting this NFL season.

There has also been some hate for the 1997-present jersey font numbers, which I disagree with. Before 1997, the Steelers had the inconsistent style of numbers on their uniform sets. The block numbers of the jersey didn't match the helmet numbers, and it was more noticeable since the Steelers wear their helmet numbers on the front as well as in the back. Having the same style of numbers on both jersey and helmet just made sense.

03-68team1966_97387.jpg

I've never understood the hate for this jersey. Could someone please explain it to me? If it's just that it's not the Steelers' iconic look, then that's a really weak argument as I think the design itself is fairly solid. Lots of bold, unbroken, uncluttered color. Hell, change the black to navy or green and you've got the Packers' look that many people agree should be their alt (if not their full-time uniforms).

Agreed, but that jersey had the fate of being worn by a losing Steelers team after the moderate success of 1958-63, and before the 1972-present run. Also, there were issues dry cleaning that type of jersey back in those days, with the sharp contrast in colors. I believe the Steelers will be bringing that jersey back as a throwback starting this NFL season.

There has also been some hate for the 1997-present jersey font numbers, which I disagree with. Before 1997, the Steelers had the inconsistent style of numbers on their uniform sets. The block numbers of the jersey didn't match the helmet numbers, and it was more noticeable since the Steelers wear their helmet numbers on the front as well as in the back. Having the same style of numbers on both jersey and helmet just made sense.

I've always had a soft spot for this jersey, too. I've never seen it in anything other than pictures, but it seems kind of bold and interesting. If the Steelers really are doing a throwback version, I'd be very happy. I'd bet this'll translate pretty well to a modern template.

I posted it because it is my least favorite. I just don't like it. The gold triangle is a nice thought but it doesn't do it for me. The current throwback is much much better in my opinion and that jersey didn't have a winning history behind it so it's not the history. The tv numbers on the arms wouldn't work today. You'd have the same issues as the stripes today with making them fit. I think there is good reason as to why they didn't last long.

I posted it because it is my least favorite. I just don't like it. The gold triangle is a nice thought but it doesn't do it for me. The current throwback is much much better in my opinion and that jersey didn't have a winning history behind it so it's not the history. The tv numbers on the arms wouldn't work today. You'd have the same issues as the stripes today with making them fit. I think there is good reason as to why they didn't last long.

I understand that sports jerseys are representative of the teams that played in them. But I've always regarded the "this jersey sucks because the team sucked when they wore them" argument as incongruent with the discussion of the merits of the uniform or identity itself. If the Steelers had won three NFL titles and the first two Super Bowls in these uniforms, the team would probably still be wearing them today. Then would people be saying "Oh these uniforms suck," etc.? I doubt it. This forum is for the discussion of the aesthetics of sports. Identities, wordmarks, logo packages, and uniforms have to an extent be regarded in a vacuum from history when the discussion is about how good or bad a team looks. While I can understand why Steelers fans may not be crazy about this uniform for historical reasons, that doesn't make it a bad uniform.

(That's not meant to be directed at you, SoxSteeler. It's just general commentary. I understand that you just don't like that particular uniform. Though I will say that using no sleeves as a reason why the current throwback is preferable to the Golden Triangle doesn't really work given the current throwback's use of the same sized northwestern stripes as what's on the current uniforms. Talk about trying to cram something onto a non-existent sleeve. Numbers would work better on that small space than stripes, anyway.)

Bruins40.png

Easy Choice

zezk7ayhkdhl9sjapyfeq0tup.gif

Obvious

zr10w7rf4wzfc5domn7ewslfg.gif

To me, the sox are Navy and Red, not Red and Navy. They should wear mostly blue on the road (and no red caps... ever)

TOM-BRADY-thumb-590x394-62544.jpg

This is obviously very unpopular, but I think that these are by far the worst uniforms in the Patriots history (though Pat Patriot is one of the best logos in NFL history). I think the biggest thing for me is that a team named after Revolutionary War patriots should not be wearing red... That was what the red coats wore, and it just feels wrong that the patriots would wear the same colors as their opponents from that war.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Second-worst goes to the new uniform set making its debut this season. Every single jersey is hideous, generic crap. They don't even try to have an identity anymore.

padres-new-unis.jpg

I'm not disagreeing exactly, but I do really like the new navy alt. It'd be far better in brown and yellow.

Not to toot my own horn, but I thought it turned out nicely in the concept I did a while back:

Padres_Alt2.png

110803-kevinwillis-300px.jpg

So you think that look is worse than the zig-zag pinstripes and chest logo?

Correct.

I'll back that up. The purple on the front, black on the back look was stupid.

The black back was indeed horrible. And yet that uniform looks so good when you just see it from the front.

North Carolina's worst look:

unc-19992000.jpg

Ugh, I had done such a good job of blocking those out of my memory. :puke:

I understand that sports jerseys are representative of the teams that played in them. But I've always regarded the "this jersey sucks because the team sucked when they wore them" argument as incongruent with the discussion of the merits of the uniform or identity itself. If the Steelers had won three NFL titles and the first two Super Bowls in these uniforms, the team would probably still be wearing them today. Then would people be saying "Oh these uniforms suck," etc.? I doubt it. This forum is for the discussion of the aesthetics of sports. Identities, wordmarks, logo packages, and uniforms have to an extent be regarded in a vacuum from history when the discussion is about how good or bad a team looks. While I can understand why Steelers fans may not be crazy about this uniform for historical reasons, that doesn't make it a bad uniform.

(That's not meant to be directed at you, SoxSteeler. It's just general commentary. I understand that you just don't like that particular uniform. Though I will say that using no sleeves as a reason why the current throwback is preferable to the Golden Triangle doesn't really work given the current throwback's use of the same sized northwestern stripes as what's on the current uniforms. Talk about trying to cram something onto a non-existent sleeve. Numbers would work better on that small space than stripes, anyway.)

This is an opinion thread, why are you trying to make it not one? I get that you want to take the history out of the "argument" and examine things in a vacuum, even though you really can't. You can't separate fans from that. If the team were to have won championships wearing them I'm sure they would have some more supporters, maybe. The point i was trying to make is that had they looked good or if enough people actually liked them they would have lasted more seasons. If they lasted more seasons they would have been worn during a championship season. Maybe, just maybe most fans and players didn't like them so they got rid of them rather quickly. We'll never know what people would have thought had they won a championship in them and it's pointless to pontificate that. The thing i can tell you is that the kentucky jersey that i posted is during their hay day in the 90s. The 1996 kentucky team won with the denim jerseys. I think those are up there with the worst they have ever worn and 99% of fans i've talked to agree with me. You'd think us(i'm an alum) winning #6 in that jersey would make people remember them more fondly, it was the first championship in 18 years after all. It doesn't. It was a hell of a year but a nightmarish jersey we never want to see again. I see no traction with your thought process. Back to what i was saying earlier. The current throwbacks were worn during a dismal time in pittsburgh's football history. The gold triangles as well. Historically i think that makes them equal and should show that history has nothing to do with my preference. My opinion is that the current throwbacks are much better aesthetically, it doesn't have to be your opinion. Why try and scold people for forming opinions in a opinion based thread. You think it's not a bad uniform, i think it's my teams worst all time look. i brought up the sleeve numbers being an issue because if they were or are going to modernize the jersey there will be major issues with sleeve numbers. I really do believe sleeve numbers on an update of that jersey would look horrendous. You'd have to move them to the top of the yoke and that would change all the aesthetics of the uni, not sure if it would be good or bad but it would change the look drastically. A pure gold(yellow) yoke would look different with numbers stitched into it. The old sleeve numbers were white, would you keep them white?, thats kind of unreadable. Make them black?, then they don't match the front and back numbers. Agree to disagree about which looks worse cut off numbers vs. cut off stripes on the modern nfl sleeve.

This is an opinion thread, why are you trying to make it not one? I get that you want to take the history out of the "argument" and examine things in a vacuum, even though you really can't. You can't separate fans from that. If the team were to have won championships wearing them I'm sure they would have some more supporters, maybe. The point i was trying to make is that had they looked good or if enough people actually liked them they would have lasted more seasons. If they lasted more seasons they would have been worn during a championship season. Maybe, just maybe most fans and players didn't like them so they got rid of them rather quickly. We'll never know what people would have thought had they won a championship in them and it's pointless to pontificate that. The thing i can tell you is that the kentucky jersey that i posted is during their hay day in the 90s. The 1996 kentucky team won with the denim jerseys. I think those are up there with the worst they have ever worn and 99% of fans i've talked to agree with me. You'd think us(i'm an alum) winning #6 in that jersey would make people remember them more fondly, it was the first championship in 18 years after all. It doesn't. It was a hell of a year but a nightmarish jersey we never want to see again. I see no traction with your thought process. Back to what i was saying earlier. The current throwbacks were worn during a dismal time in pittsburgh's football history. The gold triangles as well. Historically i think that makes them equal and should show that history has nothing to do with my preference. My opinion is that the current throwbacks are much better aesthetically, it doesn't have to be your opinion. Why try and scold people for forming opinions in a opinion based thread. You think it's not a bad uniform, i think it's my teams worst all time look. i brought up the sleeve numbers being an issue because if they were or are going to modernize the jersey there will be major issues with sleeve numbers. I really do believe sleeve numbers on an update of that jersey would look horrendous. You'd have to move them to the top of the yoke and that would change all the aesthetics of the uni, not sure if it would be good or bad but it would change the look drastically. A pure gold(yellow) yoke would look different with numbers stitched into it. The old sleeve numbers were white, would you keep them white?, thats kind of unreadable. Make them black?, then they don't match the front and back numbers. Agree to disagree about which looks worse cut off numbers vs. cut off stripes on the modern nfl sleeve.

Yikes... that's a lot of talking. Honestly, I couldn't make it all the way through, but I have to disagree with at least part of what you say here. There are still a lot of football jerseys with the TV numbers comfortably placed on the sleeve. Off the top of my head... the Redskins, Jets, Colts, Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, and Bears in the NFL alone. That doesn't even get us into the NCAA (Michigan, Notre Dame, LSU, USC... I'll stop now).

Archived