Your teams worst all- time look?

UnclearInitial

What the Red Sox road uniform should look like is basically the 1990-2008 version but with the new Boston script (only a tweak, but a huge upgrade) and no name-plates.

I still believe that the word mark on the roads should be primarily navy, but maybe with a new Rockies road-style red outline and red piping. Then it'd be perfect.

spacer.png

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

110803-kevinwillis-300px.jpg

So you think that look is worse than the zig-zag pinstripes and chest logo?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

FCmrV.jpg

Vancouver Canucks: I actually don't hate this look, but I'm not going to lie: it's terrible.

It's so ugly that there is an odd fondness for it amongst Canuck fans. It's hard to explain.

I'm not a Canucks fan, but the old "V" uniform was a unique look which looks better than other NHL uniforms I've seen. I would guess the fondness for that uni among Canuck fans is related to the fact it was worn by the first Canuck team to reach a Stanley Cup Final. Wouldn't mind seeing Vancouver return to that style for the occasional throwback.

No, I think the fondness is more closely related to "I love my team so much I'll even support them in this hideous jersey". It's still the least popular uniform they've worn, and they should never change from Blue, Green and White again. I think the attitude also comes from "It may be a hideous uniform, but it's OUR hideous uniform."

That and it's vintage. The '94 uniform however, does get it's fondness from being the jersey they wore to game 7 of the cup final.

Those were the uniforms the Canucks wore when I started becoming a Canucks/hockey fan. I bled those those colours. The colours were my favourite element of those uniforms. The home yellow was a great unique look and it complimented the road black. The Flying V was THE problem and it took away the uniqueness of the colour scheme. I always imagine how cool it would have looked if the Canucks had kept the Stick 'n Rink logo and the original '70-'72 design or had Johnny Canuck and the original stripes in the '82 colours. Furthermore, add some better '70s draft choices to the likes of Smyl, Gradin, Williams, and Snepsts, then you got a winning look.

However, I'm glad the Canucks are back in the original blue, green, and white. Just get rid of the orca.

Striping on the roads, logo on the homes, single black stripe on super dark pants, logo on hip, etc. These were awful. Fortunately the stripes only lasted one season. The tweaks made in 2003 improved this look 100x.

In live action, their road set looked like the team stopped by walmart and picked up some low-level replicas.

1996philadelphiab2.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Trent+Edwards+Miami+Dolphins+v+Buffalo+Bills+48wanfIi4B4l.jpg

YES!

Wrong QB, Wrong Uni, Here's to trying to forget those ever happened!

Never realized how awesome those pants are, though.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

A return to these would be much welcomed:

Mike%20Greenwell.png

Yeah...no. Those uniforms were outdated by '06. Though a return to the stirrups...one can only dream.

I don't understand what makes these outdated. The current roads are effectively black and grey. i know its blue, but I've tried for 3 yrs to see it as blue and it still looks black to me. They have no color, piping, or anything that adds anything to what is the most bland and boring uniform in the league. I love the so but i can't stand these.

IMO, the look just got tiring after fifteen years. The jerseys aren't that great, and they were kept a few years too long. They looked great in the 90s and early 2000s, but around 05 and 06, I just got tired of them. They don't have the classic "feel" of the new (can we still call jerseys adopted in 2009 "new"?) jerseys do, and they're not as iconic as the home uniform which has been unchanged since the days of Bobby Doerr. It was just time to hit reset on the roadies, and the redesign hit the ball out of the park, and remains one of my favorite Red Sox jerseys to date.

I honestly think that the 1990-2008 roadies wouldn't be nearly as beloved as they are had the Sox not broken the curse in them.

And, nameplates. God, how I despise nameplates.

Don't get me wrong, the current roadies could use red piping, perhaps red outline on the navy letters, and then maybe more people would see them like I do. But even as they stand now, I still like them more than the 1990-2008 roads.

i actually remember when they switched to the red road lettering. I was so happy because i always hated the black and grey road uniforms from the 80's. I was horrified when we switched back with just a little fancier font a few years ago. For me It had nothing to do with the world series connection. They are just nicer looking, much brighter in my opinion.

I agree the current ones would be fine with some red accent to letters and some piping. It could change the whole look, brighten them up and make the blue actually look blue.

I hate the road uniforms of the 1980s, and the 1990-2008 uniforms were a vast upgrade. Still, the 2009 upgrade still perfected it. IMO.

Trust me, I know this opinion is unpopular. I think I posted it in the unpopular opinions thread about nine thousand times.

For my 1/50th of a dollar, the RED Sox should be emphasizing their eponymous color wherever possible. Not simply because it's in the team name, but because emphasizing navy makes them look like their hated rivals.

With that in mind, I think this is the best the BoSox have ever looked on the road. The only way to improve them would be to top them off with this.

NEF1975bosredCP-rednvy.jpg

!BwMyd3wB2k~$(KGrHqUOKicEwRUSFuCqBMH4ubOQrw~~_1.JPG

looks like a uniform for a minor league softball team

That has to be a mistake - I remember those horrible jerseys, but they had the T on the left chest like a traditional uniform. The number was on the right, also on the traditional side, but down toward the bottom for some dumb reason. That looks like a one-off or Chinese counterfeit jersey.

I couldn't find another linakble image, so this is from ebay.

Either way you're right, terrible uniform. I'm so glad it's gone.

newsig.jpg

A return to these would be much welcomed:

Mike%20Greenwell.png

Yeah...no. Those uniforms were outdated by '06. Though a return to the stirrups...one can only dream.

I don't understand what makes these outdated. The current roads are effectively black and grey. i know its blue, but I've tried for 3 yrs to see it as blue and it still looks black to me. They have no color, piping, or anything that adds anything to what is the most bland and boring uniform in the league. I love the so but i can't stand these.

IMO, the look just got tiring after fifteen years. The jerseys aren't that great, and they were kept a few years too long. They looked great in the 90s and early 2000s, but around 05 and 06, I just got tired of them. They don't have the classic "feel" of the new (can we still call jerseys adopted in 2009 "new"?) jerseys do, and they're not as iconic as the home uniform which has been unchanged since the days of Bobby Doerr. It was just time to hit reset on the roadies, and the redesign hit the ball out of the park, and remains one of my favorite Red Sox jerseys to date.

I honestly think that the 1990-2008 roadies wouldn't be nearly as beloved as they are had the Sox not broken the curse in them.

And, nameplates. God, how I despise nameplates.

Don't get me wrong, the current roadies could use red piping, perhaps red outline on the navy letters, and then maybe more people would see them like I do. But even as they stand now, I still like them more than the 1990-2008 roads.

i actually remember when they switched to the red road lettering. I was so happy because i always hated the black and grey road uniforms from the 80's. I was horrified when we switched back with just a little fancier font a few years ago. For me It had nothing to do with the world series connection. They are just nicer looking, much brighter in my opinion.

I agree the current ones would be fine with some red accent to letters and some piping. It could change the whole look, brighten them up and make the blue actually look blue.

I hate the road uniforms of the 1980s, and the 1990-2008 uniforms were a vast upgrade. Still, the 2009 upgrade still perfected it. IMO.

Trust me, I know this opinion is unpopular. I think I posted it in the unpopular opinions thread about nine thousand times.

For my 1/50th of a dollar, the RED Sox should be emphasizing their eponymous color wherever possible. Not simply because it's in the team name, but because emphasizing navy makes them look like their hated rivals. As such, I think this is the best the BoSox have ever looked on the road. The only way to improve them would be to top them off with this.

NEF1975bosredCP-rednvy.jpg

Like I said, the new roadies being better than the old is an unpopular opinion. Yes, those hats are great and fun, but lack the professionalism and class of the hats they've always worn throughout their history. I say the only change I'd make to the hats is to add a red bill, and have them be "Sunday Special" caps.

spacer.png

The red cap would look fantastic with the home uniform, but with the 1990-2008 roads, it would bring up bad memories of the hideous 70's pullovers.

The navy cap already looks great at home, though. If it ain't broke...

spacer.png

The red cap would look fantastic with the home uniform, but with the 1990-2008 roads, it would bring up bad memories of the hideous 70's pullovers.

The navy cap already looks great at home, though. If it ain't broke...

Maybe not full time, but the red alternate desperately needs a red hat to go with it. If the Red Sox were to introduce a red cap for the red alt, I'd be more than OK with them wearing it with the home whites once a week, with the navy blue remaining the primary look.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Islanders:

Not at all because of the colors, I don't mind the black and grey at all. But that lazy arched wordmark and a number? Ugh, such a fail.

ny_g_islanders_cr_576.jpg

Lightning:

I hate everything about the new Bolts look minus keeping the old thirds. The new home and away jerseys, plus new logos, fail so hard. Just so :censored:ing hard. The 3 guys in suits? I hate those :censored:s too. Thanks for ruining my team morons.

tampabay3.jpg

Giants:

I don't mind these, and have liked most Giants looks. But the last 2 seasons with elimating the red triangle took a bland and plain jersey to even more plain and bland, which I didn't think was possible.

eli_manning_giants_13552827_620x350.jpg

Bucs:

Didn't think I had one for the Bucs, then I remembered their current throwbacks aren't even the right color. I find that quite stupid they went with the different shade.

PackBucs6_t607.jpg

Yankees:

Hard to point out an error with perfection, as that is all I've known with the Yankees. But their old New York jerseys were just plain and grey. I realize it was long ago, but if I had to pick.

lougehrig1930sgeorgebukepic.jpg

2ly2w09.jpg

Thats easy...

m550134tt.jpg

Also throw in the home and aways from this era. Seriously what were they thinking? The awful gradient adds yet another colour to the Canucks convoluted history, Purple!

Amen to that! Actually, if the Canucks had used the recoloured Stick 'n Rink shoulder patch as the primary on that jersey, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Actually, I'll tell you something that perhaps you may know already. In 2000, North Vancouver artist, Glen Green, designed a cool updated Johnny Canuck logo with the use of an orca-less 'C'. Vancouver Sun sports columnist, Greg Douglas showed the design in his column. Canucks then-President and GM Brian Burke, being the arrogant goofball that he is, was so enraged by Douglas'column that he scrapped the Johnny Canuck idea.

Archived