Peyton Manning Sweepstakes

Cujo

Denver sports reporter @VicLombardi:

"Just heard from my peoples. Broncos now 95% confident he'll sign with Denver. Their number, not mine." Lombardi then states "Broncos were contacted by manning TONIGHT".

I'll admit I laughed when this first came up but this now seems to be like a very real possibility.

I don't know what the Broncos and Elway said to him but whatever it is, its looking more and more like that was enough.

Now the question could be what is going to happen to Tebow. Does he wind up going to Miami?

Better sources say the Broncos didn't talk to Peyton Manning today at all, or tonight. Giving him space. Vic's number is reported to be "way off".

Link to those better sources?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Just heard from my peoples. Broncos now 95% confident he'll sign with Denver. Their number, not mine." Lombardi then states "Broncos were contacted by manning TONIGHT".

I'll admit I laughed when this first came up but this now seems to be like a very real possibility.

I don't know what the Broncos and Elway said to him but whatever it is, its looking more and more like that was enough.

Now the question could be what is going to happen to Tebow. Does he wind up going to Miami?

Better sources say the Broncos didn't talk to Peyton Manning today at all, or tonight. Giving him space. Vic's number is reported to be "way off".

There's several of them that went right after Vic's and I agree with the thought that it's just damage control, that they don't want the information out yet.

Lindsay Jones of Denver Post (@postbroncos), Michell Beisner of NFL Network (@michellebeisner), and Darren McKee of local radio (@dmac1043) have all "talked" to "Broncos source" claiming Broncos did not talk to Manning.

Could be real. Could be damage control.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

From Gary Miller.

@thegarymiller: Vic reported what he was told from very reliable source. He didn't say it was done deal. He simply reported Broncos confidence has grown.

@thegarymiller: Broncos don't want to appear cocky or presumptuous. They don't have a deal yet but they feel very good about their chances.

I have almost no doubt Manning's agent and the Broncos are talking contract numbers.

May not necesairly mean he'll go there, but the Cardinals only have until the end of the week before they have to make a decision on Kevin Kolb. He doesn't seem to be interested in anybody outside of those two teams at this point. Not really sure why he doesn't want to go to Miami but that seems to be the case. So if that holds up then Saturday is the defacto Manning deadline unless there's another team interested we don't know about.

Unless I'm missing something there's no reason why these two sides can't or shouldn't be talking in those terms. Worst case scenairo the Broncos draw up a contract Peyton Manning never signs. Big deal. Been alot of contracts drawn up by teams that were never signed. Cardinals will probably be drawing up a contract tomorrow as well unless Manning signs with the Broncos before tomorrow afternoon.

Like WSU said, Vic could be right and it's damage control or Vic could've been wrong. I don't know about Lombardi enough to have much of an opinion on which is the case. Ultimately, unless the name behind the reported news is Adam Schefter, I take it with a grain of salt.

Lombardi has stood by it, though. When somebody asked if he "tweeted a boo boo" he responded...

Vic Lombardi ‏ @VicLombardi

@MAXFLI10 Nah. All good. Give it a couple days. You'll see

I would think that the longer Manning takes to make a decision the more it favors the Cardinals since they'll need the time to restructure contracts and cut guys to create the cap room. But I really hope he has a decision by the start of free agency.

I think the Broncos seem like the obvious choice, but I'm biased and don't know where his priorities lay.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ultimately, unless the name behind the reported news is Adam Schefter, I take it with a grain of salt.

Bah... all guys like Schefter do is wait for a guy like Lombardi to do his job, spend a day shooting it down, then report the same news the next day so Hannah Storm can say, "We bring in ESPN Insider Adam Schefter, who broke this story. Great job, Adam..." and then pat him and themselves on the back some more throughout the day. It's like Mad Libs. Insert any player or team or story you like, ESPN follows the same script with its breaking news every time.

Ultimately, unless the name behind the reported news is Adam Schefter, I take it with a grain of salt.

Bah... all guys like Schefter do is wait for a guy like Lombardi to do his job, spend a day shooting it down, then report the same news the next day so Hannah Storm can say, "We bring in ESPN Insider Adam Schefter, who broke this story. Great job, Adam..." and then pat him and themselves on the back some more throughout the day. It's like Mad Libs. Insert any player or team or story you like, ESPN follows the same script with its breaking news every time.

Adam Schefter has a pretty long history of being one of the first (if not just plain ol' first) to break stories, even before his days on ESPN. I'm with See Red on this one.

Schefter doesn't seem to just jump on every little thing like a lot of these other guys do and he's right a majority of the time.

Manning will be talking with both the Dolphins and Titans head coaches, according to Chris Mortensen.

I don't see either of these teams as a threat since he won't even give them full meetings as he did with Denver and Arizona. Apparently he requested that the Dolphins owner not be present at the meetings. As far as Tennessee, I don't think anybody that matters in the organization even wants Peyton Manning aside from Bud Adams. Granted, I guess he matters the most, but why go somewhere where you're not completely wanted?

What concerns me is the Texans getting involved. They're in the AFC, play in a dome, are a Super Bowl contender, good offensive line, stud WR, good defense... :/

IUe6Hvh.png

Adam Schefter is almost always first to break bit NFL news, and I truly cannot recall him EVER being wrong.

When Glazer wants to, he breaks news first. Jay just has other things in his life unrelated to the NFL. Even when looking at Adam's Twitter, look at how he phrases information and other news sources. It is in a way which they (he and ESPN) give information in which they would give on air or at .com. Glazer had the Redskins/Rams trade 15 minutes prior and it was acknowledged inside Schefter's Friday night.

Reggie Wayne re-signed with the Colts, so any hopes of a Msnning/Wayne combo are extinguished.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Reggie Wayne re-signed with the Colts, so any hopes of a Msnning/Wayne combo are extinguished.

Yeah, I saw that when I was at work. Crappy because that was something the Broncos offered that other teams might not have been able to, the ability to get Manning and Reggie Wayne back together. I just got off a 12 hour shift, and given how quickly everything twists and turns, I feel like I've been out of the loop for days. What I can tell, Bud Adams is an idiot and really is willing to give anything to get Manning, which means the Broncos or any team will have to pay out of their asses to sign him. Did it ever come out that he would give Archie Manning ownership shares if Peyton signed with them? I thought I read that somewhere. If so, how can that possibly be legal?

IUe6Hvh.png

Why should it be illegal? Private companies can give stock or stock options to whomever they want. I'd suspect that they'd let Archie buy in at pennies on the dollar rather than give him stock options, if that was ever really a consideration.

As for Adams raising the price, I really don't see more money as being all that important a consideration for Manning. I don't doubt that he'd take as much as he can get, but I can't see him turning down a more competitive team over a couple extra dollars from a weaker one.

47 Brand, with their NFL merchandise contract about to start, posted these new caps on their Facebook page. They presented these particular caps as his potential landing places, but I'd also read it left to right as the most likely to the least.

FortySevenBrandNFL.jpg

Adam Schefter is almost always first to break bit NFL news, and I truly cannot recall him EVER being wrong.

When Glazer wants to, he breaks news first. Jay just has other things in his life unrelated to the NFL. Even when looking at Adam's Twitter, look at how he phrases information and other news sources. It is in a way which they (he and ESPN) give information in which they would give on air or at .com. Glazer had the Redskins/Rams trade 15 minutes prior and it was acknowledged inside Schefter's Friday night.

I disagree. For each story Glazer breaks, Schefter breaks 4 or 5. It's not even close. Plus, Glazer clutters his Twitter feed with MMA news and stories.Schefter is strictly business, ALL NFL. I can't recall either guy getting a story wrong, but Schefter just brings it harder. And to touch on your point on how Schefter acknowledged Glazer's story, Glazer has "borrowed" from Schefter without giving him credit. Glazer will also brag when he breaks a story first and RT people who slam Schefter, which comes acorss as incredibly classless.

6uXNWAo.png

Why should it be illegal? Private companies can give stock or stock options to whomever they want. I'd suspect that they'd let Archie buy in at pennies on the dollar rather than give him stock options, if that was ever really a consideration.

As for Adams raising the price, I really don't see more money as being all that important a consideration for Manning. I don't doubt that he'd take as much as he can get, but I can't see him turning down a more competitive team over a couple extra dollars from a weaker one.

47 Brand, with their NFL merchandise contract about to start, posted these new caps on their Facebook page. They presented these particular caps as his potential landing places, but I'd also read it left to right as the most likely to the least.

FortySevenBrandNFL.jpg

Two other ways to read it: The order in which he talked to the teams, and alphabetical by team name.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, I saw that when I was at work. Crappy because that was something the Broncos offered that other teams might not have been able to, the ability to get Manning and Reggie Wayne back together. I just got off a 12 hour shift, and given how quickly everything twists and turns, I feel like I've been out of the loop for days. What I can tell, Bud Adams is an idiot and really is willing to give anything to get Manning, which means the Broncos or any team will have to pay out of their asses to sign him. Did it ever come out that he would give Archie Manning ownership shares if Peyton signed with them? I thought I read that somewhere. If so, how can that possibly be legal?

Well it's certainly legal from... well, a "legal" perspective, but it may not be in accordance with the NFL's CBA with the players' union. At the very least, you'd have teams protesting the move due to the precedent that it would set, and also claiming that it's a way of circumventing the cap (even though Archie isn't Peyton, I'd wager that an arbitrator would rule that it's at the very least "against the spirit" of the agreement.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True, unless the value of those shares were somehow prorated and held against his cap number. As I said, I don't think he's too hung up on the money as a prime motivator.

There has to be some way of counting non-financial compensation, like private locker rooms and other special amenities, right? I never really thought about that before.

FortySevenBrandNFL.jpg

Two other ways to read it: The order in which he talked to the teams, and alphabetical by team name.

Also true.

Archived