Peyton Manning Sweepstakes

Cujo

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titans offered him a "contract for life", which would give him a job in the front office upon retiring. For this, he would have to sign two contracts, and the one for the front office gig would have to be "market value" or else the Titans would be penalized draft picks or cap space. This would also have to be approved by Goodell and voted on by the owners. At least this is my understanding of it.

Comes across as being kind of desperate, in my clearly biased opinion.

IUe6Hvh.png

Exactly. If Peyton was to take one of those lifetime contacts, it'd be back up in Indy.

I'm not even close to buying the Titans chances in this. They've got Locker and they just had a season with Hasselbeck. Let them continue on their course of building. Peyton isn't making the Titans a contender, and I doubt he'd really want to play the Colts twice. The Titans have the "hometown" factor of Tennessee and the AFC going for them, otherwise, they're still behind the Broncos and Cardinals in my mind.

And if Peyton is going to be a Cardinal, it's either going to be today or tomorrow with a slight possibility of Saturday, as the Cards have to decide on Kolb's roster bonus by then.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It is desperate but its also a classic "only an owner would ever make this kind of move" A. because only an owner would have the resources to approve of it and B. only an owner who has never been involved in football operations would be dumb enough to give a player that type of decision making power.

Personally I don't get why the Titans are going after Peyton Manning. If I'm starting a team and you give me either Jake Locker or Peyton Manning, I would probably rather have Locker by a very slim margin. No question at this point Manning if healthy is the better QB, but Locker should alot of potential last year and may in fact be a Pro Bowler in the making. There's also only two starting QB's younger then Locker. (Gabbert and Newton) I don't know if I would throw that away for a two or three year rent a player unless my team was already a playoff team and I saw this as a way to make a legit run at the Super Bowl. The Titans are not there.

Arizona I get because I don't think they are sold at all on either Skelton or Kolb. Don't think either has the potential to be an NFL starter. The Dolphins I get because while they won with Matt Moore he is anything but a sure thing as being a future NFL starting QB. Not really sure why the Broncos are so down on Tebow but I do get the argument. Tennessee is the only team I don't understand but then again this seems to be more Bud Adams then anyone involved in the day to day decision making for the Titans.

It is desperate but its also a classic "only an owner would ever make this kind of move" A. because only an owner would have the resources to approve of it and B. only an owner who has never been involved in football operations would be dumb enough to give a player that type of decision making power.

Personally I don't get why the Titans are going after Peyton Manning. If I'm starting a team and you give me either Jake Locker or Peyton Manning, I would probably rather have Locker by a very slim margin. No question at this point Manning if healthy is the better QB, but Locker should alot of potential last year and may in fact be a Pro Bowler in the making. There's also only two starting QB's younger then Locker. (Gabbert and Newton) I don't know if I would throw that away for a two or three year rent a player unless my team was already a playoff team and I saw this as a way to make a legit run at the Super Bowl. The Titans are not there.

Arizona I get because I don't think they are sold at all on either Skelton or Kolb. Don't think either has the potential to be an NFL starter. The Dolphins I get because while they won with Matt Moore he is anything but a sure thing as being a future NFL starting QB. Not really sure why the Broncos are so down on Tebow but I do get the argument. Tennessee is the only team I don't understand but then again this seems to be more Bud Adams then anyone involved in the day to day decision making for the Titans.

I agree. If I have a QB who I could look at as a franchise QB based on how he played last year, like Jake Locker, I'd much rather have him at his price tag than Peyton as his. The appeal to Peyton Manning is when you don't have a good QB, like Tim Tebow. He may eventually be good, but right now he's so far away that you can't say for certain what he'll become. The Broncos are so down on Tebow because he was atrocious for 3.5 quarters of every game. It's a gimmick offense, and those don't have much lifespan in the NFL.

I think Bud Adams is the only one in that Titans organization that wants Manning. Manning is a very smart guy -- he has to see that.

According to Adam Schefter just now on Sportscenter, Arizona is a bit of a long shot, and Miami's all but out of it. I really like Denver's chances, but why hasn't he pulled the trigger? I'd like to think this is just Peyton Manning taking the same approach to free agency as he does to just about every aspect of his life and just being studious, and make sure he knows everything he can about the organizations and their directions before announcing. I imagine he's dissecting every detail about every organization involved.

According to people in the know Pat Bowlen is on the move. Yesterday it was a story when his jet was moved out of it's hangar and onto the ramp -- well, apparently it's heading to Raleigh, NC, where Manning is expected to be. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/OPT978/history/20120316/1427Z/KAPA/KRDU

Somebody mentioned this is the same jet that went from Miami, to Stillwater, OK, to Denver with Manning last week. I find it a little disturbing that this can be so easily tracked by anybody, but whatever.

edit: ...

Jeff Darlington ‏ @JeffDarlington

Peyton Manning personally contacted Dolphins on Thursday to advise them he wouldn't be signing with Miami, multiple sources have told me.

IUe6Hvh.png

Peyton Manning personally contacted Dolphins on Thursday to advise them he wouldn't be signing with Miami, multiple sources have told me.

And fair enough; the Dolphins now have to move quickly before Seattle snaps up Matt Flynn. If they sit around waiting for Manning, they'll end the offseason without a quarterback altogether.

As a diehard Colts fan, it's sad to see him go, but I think that no-one gives Montana guff for having finished his career in Kansas City. The grace with which Peyton has left, and the grace with which the diehards have said good-bye, is really marvellous.

rATMcmK.png

And fair enough; the Dolphins now have to move quickly before Seattle snaps up Matt Flynn. If they sit around waiting for Manning, they'll end the offseason without a quarterback altogether.

I'm a Packers fan living all the way in Boston (my pops grew up out there) so I admittedly don't get the type of coverage you do. What do you think of Flynn? Is he the real deal or a product of that blazing offense? He played increasingly well each time he got a chance but why do I get a Matt Cassel vibe from him?

Somebody mentioned this is the same jet that went from Miami, to Stillwater, OK, to Denver with Manning last week. I find it a little disturbing that this can be so easily tracked by anybody, but whatever.

This is commonplace in college football, where every move of an athletic director is monitored stalker-like on FlightAware during any and all coaching searches for immediate analysis and condemnation.

/"There's a flight from Starkville to Kansas City"

//"OH GOD WE'RE HIRING CHARLIE WEIS"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I really think that in the right offense and with the right coaching, Kevin Kolb can be a legit starting qb that you can win with. I didn't see him at all last season so I don't know what went wrong in Phoenix, but it seems like they may not have the infrastructure in place for anyone other than a borderline HOFer like Kurt Warner to thrive in. If they were to get Manning, I think that any team in need of a QB that doesn't have a "down field" game should look at Kolb. Given some stability and the right system I really think he can thrive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm a Packers fan living all the way in Boston (my pops grew up out there) so I admittedly don't get the type of coverage you do. What do you think of Flynn? Is he the real deal or a product of that blazing offense? He played increasingly well each time he got a chance but why do I get a Matt Cassel vibe from him?

From what I see of him. Yeah he's played extremely well in the two games he's played, against some worthy opponents but nothing too daunting from the defensive aspect. As you know the Packers have an arsenal of weapons at their disposal, so it's not like he's playing with nothing and has a great teacher in Aaron, and a tremendous offensive coaching staff.

I get why you're getting a Cassel vibe, both played on tremendous teams, and both we're helped dramatically by it, Cassel having much more time to get the feel of the pro game playing an entire season. I think he's more of a Matt Schaub, both played in College quite well, good arm strength, only difference Schaub sat behind Vick, and Flynn behind Rodgers. I'd rather learn from Rodgers for obvious reason.

The team he goes to needs a good offensive line, decent running game and some receivers to work with, get that and he should be fine. Leading to why I think Seattle is the destination, Cleveland second, Miami third. If Philbin was so set on Flynn he would have signed by now, yes I know Manning just notified the Dolphins yesterday, but they probably knew they weren't getting him in the first place.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

You have Alex Smith. Why!?

Technically, they don't have Alex Smith. He's a free agent.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, I'm no QB expert, but my guess the 49ers are interested in Manning because Alex Smith isn't very good.

Technically, they don't have Alex Smith. He's a free agent.

That too.

BB52Big.jpg

According to Schefter, the Cardinals have been advised to carry on as they would if they were not going to land Manning and they are keeping Kevin Kolb. He also says the 49ers are a bit of a long shot, but a player in all of this. It just never ends. Kind of funny that the 49ers give Alex Smith chance after chance after chance and even after being a huge bust for the entirety of his career, provide him a chance to start football games -- which they may even been the only team in the league willing to do -- and all of a sudden he's this difficult to sign. He should, at least, show that he's somewhat grateful for the opportunities the organization gave him.

Manning is going to get expensive... <_<

... aaaaand I think the Broncos are leaving. Damn.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived