Buffalo Sabres Early Conceptual Work

kpbl_design

Question: why the red eye? Looking through the progression of the design, it seems all the eyes were yellow and white. Why the switch to red eye?

Also, there are extremely sharp points on the hump, chin, and horn... but the back corner is chopped off and squared... any reason for that?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: why the red eye? Looking through the progression of the design, it seems all the eyes were yellow and white. Why the switch to red eye?

Also, there are extremely sharp points on the hump, chin, and horn... but the back corner is chopped off and squared... any reason for that?

Probably ties back to the "Angry Goat Head"... The current logo has carried over the red eye as well.

I never understood why the logo came to that abrupt stop... that one was out of my hands. I agree, if it were up to me, the back would've come to a point, for consistency purposes.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Probably ties back to the "Angry Goat Head"... The current logo has carried over the red eye as well.

I never understood why the logo came to that abrupt stop... that one was out of my hands. I agree, if it were up to me, the back would've come to a point, for consistency purposes.

Ok, those were just a few things I've always wondered.

I can't say I really care too much for any of the designs you posted in that first graphic, but that first sketch you posted with the motion buffalo and the crossed swords was money... It's a shame that wasn't pushed further.

Having done a couple concepts involving bison, I've come to the realization that bison are tricky animals to draw, especially in "sports-style." The creature is very unorthodox: a huge head but with very small eyes and mouth.

I can't say I really care too much for any of the designs you posted in that first graphic, but that first sketch you posted with the motion buffalo and the crossed swords was money... It's a shame that wasn't pushed further.

Having done a couple concepts involving bison, I've come to the realization that bison are tricky animals to draw, especially in "sports-style." The creature is very unorthodox: a huge head but with very small eyes and mouth.

The sketches weren't mine... can't take credit for those.

I agree with ya, they're definitely not the most"logo-friendly"! Bison may be tricky, but nothing's impossible... I think it's a matter of finding the right approach.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

For all its flaws, the Buffaslug has actually grown on me... but weirdly, only on the sweaters. I think the logo just worked with that swooshy, modern design. Did you have a hand in that or just the logo?

I was only involved on the logo design on this particular project.

As far as the logo growing on people, I guess it's a little different for me. I mean c'mon... have you ever heard a parent say they've got an ugly kid?

Don't get me wrong, they mighta THOUGHT it...

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Thanks for sharing. I often wonder when logos are introduced who from this board might have had a hand in it. I think I was fairly easy on the Buffaslug, as I like abstract logos, plus the colors were an upgrade. But even I thought that thing had legs (the chin). Seeing your early version with the legs below was a surprise.

I agree with ya, they're definitely not the most"logo-friendly"! Bison may be tricky, but nothing's impossible... I think it's a matter of finding the right approach.

Haha, oh well...

What would you say the biggest thing your learned through this whole process was?

Haha, oh well...

What would you say the biggest thing your learned through this whole process was?

Ya know, there were a few things I learned throughout the entire process.

One thing I learned was that you can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try. This may come as a surprise to some people, but I actually tried to do a good job on this project! For real, though...I didn't set out to S#!+ the bed, ya know?

It also made me think about how there needs to be a balance in design, at least for me. I think as artists, we have a tendency to think we know what's best for the client, and in a lot of ways, we do... I think we can also get caught up in designing for other designers, and alienate clients and normal, everyday fans in the process! I learned to think bigger than myself, to keep the people that were passionate about a franchise in mind throughout the creative process, because they have to live with that mark. I want them to be proud when they wear my marks, ya know?

Also, there is no formula, no recipe, no sure-fire way to know that what you'll create will be the end all, be all identity that pleases everyone, so just be the best "you" you can be. Be inspired by your peers, forge your own path, and have fun with it. I firmly believe that we can create great work if we work together, be constructive in our criticisms, and push each other positively for the love of the game.

It may sound a little gushy, but that's what I believe.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Seriously. Nash, who did that one? I want to ask them if I can Yzermanize the Sabres using that logo. It's too sleek to not have anything done.

But I really liked seeing all of these, and I think you made the right choice in the end

Seriously. Nash, who did that one? I want to ask them if I can Yzermanize the Sabres using that logo. It's too sleek to not have anything done.

But I really liked seeing all of these, and I think you made the right choice in the end

Here's where I got the graphic from:

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/2/22/a-look-back-at-the-infamous-slug.html

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

lol why so many concepts with this logo? Who was the person so committed to it? The designer, the franchise? Technically speaking, it is not terrible, but I do not buy it for a sports logo.

When I do a project, I usually do a lot of concepts as well, but few of them look really similar. But, Really who am I to question someones creative process, it's subjective to each person.

On your concept sheet, the versions near the top-right with legs makes the whole thing make more sense. I always had trouble visualizing the buffalo but seeing it like that makes me realize the slug design isn't so bad (gasp!) haha

Seriously though nice work thanks for posting!

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

nice to see some of the process. looks like you explored every option for the direction you were going. i guess im the only one that actually likes the final logo?

i have 1 question: how much was the client involved in this? did you present them a few concepts/sketches to pick from or just the 1 and say "here it is"?. did they request any revisions to it?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

nice to see some of the process. looks like you explored every option for the direction you were going. i guess im the only one that actually likes the final logo?

i have 1 question: how much was the client involved in this? did you present them a few concepts/sketches to pick from or just the 1 and say "here it is"?. did they request any revisions to it?

From what I recall, there was a lot of back and forth, from sketches, to progression of concepts, as you can obviously see. We constantly evolved marks, and I wish I could remember how the work actually progressed... I definitely think that would be able to paint a better picture of the actual process.

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Those circular logos on the bottom right are the best Sabres logos I have ever seen, BTW. Wish they would have switched to those instead of bringing back the horrifically dated classic logo.

Thanks!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

On your concept sheet, the versions near the top-right with legs makes the whole thing make more sense. I always had trouble visualizing the buffalo but seeing it like that makes me realize the slug design isn't so bad (gasp!) haha

Seriously though nice work thanks for posting!

Agreed, the logos with the legs are great (especially the top one) and would have been so much better in the long run.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Those circular logos on the bottom right are the best Sabres logos I have ever seen, BTW. Wish they would have switched to those instead of bringing back the horrifically dated classic logo.

Thanks!

I think if their final choice hadn't been such a departure, and had they used one of those circular designs, then they wouldn't have been forced to bring back the original.

Archived