Racing Stripes on MLB Jerseys

rmackman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Racing stripes on baseball jerseys is a great and timeless look as evidenced by this Puerto Rican All Star team in 1995. Roberto Alomar, Carmelo Martinez, Edgar Martinez, Rey Sanchez, Ruben Sierra, Carlos Baerga, Bernie Williams, Juan Gonzalez and Carlos Delgado. Great lineup with a great look.

BYaqJE6CEAAY0LV.jpg

Timeless is the wrong word. Those definitely have a time and it was the 80's. Those are as dated as a look can look.

PvO6ZWJ.png

They arent coming back, neither are pull overs, stop posting about them

And you have proof of this?

Lack of any single full time pullover uniform since the last one was retired?

Didn't the Rays have a 1979 fake throwback pullover?

A one time alternate.

So yes, they did come back. Even if for one-time appearances.

It was a fauxback trying to match a very specific period. The idea was to mimic a ridiculous looking 70's uniforms ala the Pirates' mix and match or the Indians' bloodclot or the Padres' brown and yellows. If they had worn buttons it wouldn't have been true to how uniforms were at the time.

It was also a really f****** stupid one-off to begin with. Not really a shining endorsement for pullover jerseys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Agreed - pinstripes can work well with some colors, particularly black and navy for maximum contrast. But red ones just look pink against the white.

I think that partly because they're printed on instead of the woven "zig zag" style that the Yankees use. I don't know if they're literally printed, but it's definitely not like the Yankees.

I'm pretty sure all the pinstriped teams that have wide-spaced stripes and set-in sleeves are the same. Not sure if the cubs have the same style stripes as the Yankees.

Also, The red pinstripes looked more bold and less pink back in the flannel days.

All that being said, I'd welcome a return to the 40's look, or even the old-English p on the chest, like the tigers only red.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived