New NFL hats (Forty Seven/New Era)

Proc

why cant we have these instead of 5950s in baseball??

The '47 hats are designed to look sloppy and faded. Clearly, people like them (I am not one of them) because they are comfortable or whatever. However, they look like the hat you have been wearing and leaving in you car's back windshield for five years. They don't look like caps that professional teams should be wearing on the field of play. Also, once the '47 caps get sweaty, they will look REALLY bad, far worse than NE caps looked before the switch to synthetic.

I wouldn't want a baseball team to wear this style of hat on the field of play because it doesn't fit the major league aesthetic.

That said, I love this style of hat. I have Reds fitted caps and 5950's, but my favorite Reds hat is a '47 brand cap. I own probably 10 different '47 brand hats and only a few of them are "sloppy and faded" and that's because I've been wearing them for over 5 years. My Hartford Whalers hat is a bright beautiful royal blue, for example. I like this style of hat because I think they look better on the street than a 5950 does, they're more casual, easier to wear every day, they're not that expensive, and they are really really comfortable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The '47 hats come pre-faded. That Whalers royal blue cap looked distressed when you bought it, certainly different from the royal blue cap New Era makes.

hvin-fra44gwf-ry79_front.png2672_HWLCAVK5A1T.JPG

They are sloppy because they often have wrinkles in them (depending on the head of the wearer) and there is no structure in the front of the cap. And that is the look they go for - the comfortable old cap.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived