Hornets, state announce agreement to keep team in N.O. thru 2024

B-Rich

I don't see anything that's changed in the last year that would get enough votes to allow a move to Anaheim.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see anything that's changed in the last year that would get enough votes to allow a move to Anaheim.

Still a cause for concern for me since Seattle is not far from California and with a new building is a much better market than Memphis.

Do you all think they NBA would allow a team in San Jose with a team in Oakland and Sacramento already?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Is Sacramento part of the Bay Area market in any way?

My sense is no, but I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable.

The sense I've gathered is that the Kings are considered to be part of a Greater NorCal market and that both the Warriors and Kings would argue that a San Jose would represent an unsustainable 3rd team in that market.

The Warriors IIRC were one of the teams that fought the hardest to opposed the Kings' move last season because they felt that the Kings leaving would open up San Jose for another team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, Warriors fought it hard for that very reason.

Sacramento is separate from San Francisco for over-the-air TV market purposes, but both markets get the same RSNs (CSN Bay Area, CSN California). Kings games are blacked out in the Bay, Warriors games are blacked out in Sacramento, but both get Giants/A's/Sharks games, I think.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, Warriors fought it hard for that very reason.

Sacramento is separate from San Francisco for over-the-air TV market purposes, but both markets get the same RSNs (CSN Bay Area, CSN California). Kings games are blacked out in the Bay, Warriors games are blacked out in Sacramento, but both get Giants/A's/Sharks games, I think.

Yes, Sacramento gets the other Bay Area teams.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Is Sacramento part of the Bay Area market in any way?

My sense is no, but I'd love to hear from someone more knowledgeable.

No. Sac is a different MSA, CSA, TV Market, and culturally it has almost nothing in common with the Bay Area. The only obstacle to the Grizzlies moving to San Jose would be the Warriors. However the Warriors are also in the process of considering a move to San Francisco (where they'll make more money anyway) and the NBA really can't block Ellison thanks to the Al Davis effect if he really wants to go there. The only question would really be is Ellison willing to pony up to break the lease or will he just wait til 2017 when he can fudge the attendance numbers and leave without penalty.

I know this is probably the 4,326,750th time this has been asked, but why don't the Warriors just move to San Jose? They can keep their name, logo, and everything (as well as their market)...

bYhYmxh.png

Another question I'm sure has been asked...why does MLB have so much more control of territories and relocations than the NHL, NBA, and NFL?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The NFL has limited antitrust exemption as well, I think, but they lost a lot of their leverage over territorial rights in the Al Davis case. Their original exemption said no team at the time of the merger could relocate.

I know this is probably the 4,326,750th time this has been asked, but why don't the Warriors just move to San Jose? They can keep their name, logo, and everything (as well as their market)...

Because their arena in Oakland is basketball specific after the heavy remodel in 1996. The arena in San Jose is a nearly 20 year old primarily a hockey arena that would require approximately $100 million in modifications to be an NBA venue (ala Anaheim). And if anything the Warriors new owners want an even newer basketball specific arena in San Francisco, not San Jose.

In NOLA related news, the Bobcats have apparently been discussing a "monumental" announcement that has rumors floating up again of the Hornets name. Staffers have been given the hush-hush talks according to rumors. I'm all in with the name change bandwagon. Just throwing the wildcard out there, no intentions of derailing the thread.

Anybody think the new owner will possibly rename the team to reenergize the franchise with a fresh start?

I wouldn't put anything past them, but please, no Hornets/Jazz/Grizzlies/etc. swapping business.

In NOLA related news, the Bobcats have apparently been discussing a "monumental" announcement that has rumors floating up again of the Hornets name. Staffers have been given the hush-hush talks according to rumors. I'm all in with the name change bandwagon. Just throwing the wildcard out there, no intentions of derailing the thread.

Just wanted to add, there has been a LOT of talk down here about re-branding in association with the new lease, new ownership, etc. This has been coming not just from the fans, but also from the sports pundits, reporters and radio hosts....

I'm a little iffy on the whole notion. First of all, some of the names and concepts bandied about are a little lame when it comes to "local flavor": the "Krewe of New Orleans", for one, and several lame attempts at variations on "Jazz", which we'd never get back: New Orleans Blues; re-use of New Orleans Brass from the old ECHL franchise, etc.. Secondly, although I know that "Hornets" had special historical meaning to Charlotte, it IS a "generic" name that has been used by by other pro teams (Chicago Hornets of the AAFC, Pittsburgh Hornets of the AHL). Finally, over the past ten years, there has been some familiarity with the name acquired by locals. You do see a lot of Hornets merch being worn around town, and to me at least, the Fleur-de-Bee logo is golden. On the other hand, even this season, there are STILL sports announcers who slip up and call them the "Charlotte Hornets", or who call the Bobcats the "Charlotte Hornets". A clean break from the past with a re-branding and new name, to complement the certainty that the "New Orleans _______" will be around for the next 12 years, may be something that's needed.

Not sure that the timing is right for a "monumental" return to the Hornets nickname for Charlotte, however....

In other rumors floating around, it now appears that Raj Bhathal and Gary Schouest may be teaming up for ownership rather than competing, with Bathal being majority owner and Schouest once again having a minority interest as he did under George Shinn.

It is what it is.

Wait a minute, they signed this ironclad lease while the team was still in receivership? I thought this was done in conjunction with the Hornets having been bought!

Just wanted to add, there has been a LOT of talk down here about re-branding in association with the new lease, new ownership, etc. This has been coming not just from the fans, but also from the sports pundits, reporters and radio hosts....

I'm a little iffy on the whole notion. First of all, some of the names and concepts bandied about are a little lame when it comes to "local flavor": the "Krewe of New Orleans", for one, and several lame attempts at variations on "Jazz", which we'd never get back: New Orleans Blues; re-use of New Orleans Brass from the old ECHL franchise, etc.. Secondly, although I know that "Hornets" had special historical meaning to Charlotte, it IS a "generic" name that has been used by by other pro teams (Chicago Hornets of the AAFC, Pittsburgh Hornets of the AHL). Finally, over the past ten years, there has been some familiarity with the name acquired by locals. You do see a lot of Hornets merch being worn around town, and to me at least, the Fleur-de-Bee logo is golden. On the other hand, even this season, there are STILL sports announcers who slip up and call them the "Charlotte Hornets", or who call the Bobcats the "Charlotte Hornets". A clean break from the past with a re-branding and new name, to complement the certainty that the "New Orleans _______" will be around for the next 12 years, may be something that's needed.

Not sure that the timing is right for a "monumental" return to the Hornets nickname for Charlotte, however....

In other rumors floating around, it now appears that Raj Bhathal and Gary Schouest may be teaming up for ownership rather than competing, with Bathal being majority owner and Schouest once again having a minority interest as he did under George Shinn.

I dunno... I rather like New Orleans Brass. They could even keep the fleur-de-bee as a play off the teams' new initial and the fact that it'd be pretty hard to make a mascot costume in the shape of a horn.

Archived