Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks

Lights Out

While I think the Nets concept is a bit aesthetically off, I think it makes total sense. My only confusion about having Brooklyn represented by a subway is that I think most people view Manhattan to be the borough most associated with the subway.

This was my first thought when I saw the concept, but isn't the arena being built where it is because of all the easy access to the other boroughs via subway?

By the way, the Nets concept is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I think it would sell merchandise too. It has been mentioned before that the numbers on the front of the jersey might be too small, and I wouldn't be opposed to making that a a little bigger. I don't think it would compromise the idea of what you are going for if they were, say, 25% bigger. Otherwise, awesome. Just awesome.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the baseline design, but All Black Everything doesn't seem logistically viable. It would make telecasts look like experimental theatre.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Whateverman, based on your comments, I assume you aren't too familiar with the NY identity. The subway is a (yes, dirty) object of pride for many city dwellers. No one is forced to take a subway. New Yorkers view having the subway as a great thing.

As a NY sports fan, I find that taking public transit is innately tied to going to professional sporting events. For one it avoids horrible traffic jams and having so many people going to one place makes the subway super efficient. Second, entering and exiting a sporting event by car makes you a rival to your fellow fan, competing for parking spots and lane space and feeling road rage at your compatriots. Taking the subway to a game means seeing more and more fans come on as you get closer to the arena/stadium (which always builds a cool sense of excitement) and a sense of community is built with occasional chants and hi-fives.

While I think the Nets concept is a bit aesthetically off, I think it makes total sense. My only confusion about having Brooklyn represented by a subway is that I think most people view Manhattan to be the borough most associated with the subway.

Are you familiar with the history behind the subway? This is one of the best, most marketable parts. In the turn of the century, New York was run by a corrupt politician named Boss Tweed. He controlled city transit. Basically, this guy decided enough, and lit out on a project under Tweed's very nose: the subway. When it was finished, he opened it up for the public, and Tweed was furious. THAT is the very definition of American sprit and the penultimate example of New York swagger. (And Jay-Z is all about some swag). This is not only brilliantly beautiful, it is endlessly marketable.

Interesting, thanks guys! Just my perspective I guess, I don't think mixing transportation into a sports identity works, the same way a team shouldn't base itself around say a restaurant, even if the restaurant is steeped in the city's history. These types of things are, what's the best word, mundane? Its bit too ordinary for a team named the Nets dressed up as subway maps to exist in a league that contains Warriors, Raptors, and Cavaliers.

I don't think mixing transportation into a sports identity works, the same way a team shouldn't base itself around say a restaurant, even if the restaurant is steeped in the city's history. These types of things are, what's the best word, mundane? Its bit too ordinary for a team named the Nets dressed up as subway maps to exist in a league that contains Warriors, Raptors, and Cavaliers.

Have you seen the Cavaliers' new uniforms? There's nothing in the league more mundane and ordinary than that. Also, the Warriors have an identity based around transportation, too, that being the Bay Bridge.

Realization: it's a network of transit! Deeeeep

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Your concept of the new Nets uniforms are interesting... but for myself, I would prefer the style of uniform they had when the Nets were merged into the NBA.

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

Have you seen the Cavaliers' new uniforms? There's nothing in the league more mundane and ordinary than that. Also, the Warriors have an identity based around transportation, too, that being the Bay Bridge.

Yeah you're completely right, I forgot about that! When I think of the Warriors I still think of that blue Warrior guy. WTH does a bridge have to do with Warriors? The Warriors and Cavaliers have totally awful identity packages to go with awesome names.

I like your court, but the trend right now for the look of the "key" is either one solid colour, and just the two side pannels that would have colour. To me is is a bit 90s(ish), not that there is anything wrong with that.

Love the center court logo.

The Knicks update is miles better. That Nets concept though, I can only echo what the majority have already said - absolutely fantastic. Classic, yet modern, and just daring enough without going overboard.

Archived