Superleague USA

Whittier S

I've updated my team name list pretty extensively. I'm running into some stumpers and have included questions in the notes. Any help much appreciated, thank you.

rATMcmK.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York United FC

Los Angeles International AC (Internacional)

Chicago Workers SC*

Houston Apollos SC

Dallas Riders FC

Philadelphia Brothers United

Phoenix XI FC (eleven field playes)

San Diego (Frigates?--Both the bird and the ship) YES

Washington Federls SC

Atlética San Antonio

Detroit Ramblers FC (Substitute for Rovers)

San Jose Titans AFC

Miami Typhoon SC

Atlanta St George AFC

Boston Clovers FC

San Francisco (Beat?--Beat Generation

Indianapolis Crossroads FC (idea from illwauk) YES

Jacksonville (Juggernaut?--references both size and its development as playground for the wealthy) YES

Columbus Navy Blues FC

Austin (Academics?) YES

Minneapolis Majors SC

Memphis Blue Devils

Baltimore (FC Baltimore City--internet is unclear whether this is already a team--help, please?)

Charlotte Gems FC

Seattle Salish SC

FV Milwaukee Eagles YES

Nashville (Athenians?)

Denver 5280 (I got the idea from raysox) YES

Las Vegas (Silverbacks? Argentum Las Vegas FC?)

Portland Greens YES

Oklahoma City

US* Fontana del Kansas City (Fountains of Kansas City) or Giochi d'acqua del le Citta Kansas (Water Gardens of Kansas City)

New Orleans

Cleveland Royals FC

Sacramento Sycamores SC

Virginia Beach Neptunes

St. Louis Saints SC

Tampa Flame FC

Pittsburgh Triad FC

Orlando Olympic AFC

Cincinnati Flyers

Buffalo Electric SC

AFC Salt Lake City

Raleigh Reign AFC

Albuquerque Ramboulliet CF*

Omaha Pioneers SC

Ali'i Honolulu CSC

Wichita Aeros FC

Birmingham Magic FC

SC Soccer Club

SC* Sports Club

AFC Association Football Club

FC Football Club

US Unione Sportive

AC Athletic Club

CF Club de Futbol

CSC Community Sports Club

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Raymie--I like it, will think about for sure.

fumbler--thanks for your enthusiastic support of some of the names I already have! I will definitely be giving some of your offerings consideration.

rATMcmK.png

maz--It will make more sense with the logo, I'm bringing up a logo I drew a long time ago, involving a three-headed "river monster' laid out as a triskelion, very heraldry-looking. Also, I like how "triad" rhymes with "dryad", a Greek water spirit.

rATMcmK.png

Raymie--I like it, will think about for sure.

fumbler--thanks for your enthusiastic support of some of the names I already have! I will definitely be giving some of your offerings consideration.

No woies mate, that's why i posted.

fumbler: What's the connexion between Atlanta and St George? Perhaps I could have the Atlanta Dragons?

Just the Name Georgia, i was looking for something to do with Atalanta BC but wasn't sure if you wanted sister clubs?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

fumbler: I'm trying to draw off city identities, not state identities. So that means I'd do something specific to Atlanta. I'd want to do Firebirds, but I'm determined that should be a hockey team (Flames + Thrashers AND there's a phoenix in the city seal--a city that rose from the ashes after the Civil War.) And, no sister clubs, at least not directly.

rATMcmK.png

fumbler: I'm trying to draw off city identities, not state identities. So that means I'd do something specific to Atlanta. I'd want to do Firebirds, but I'm determined that should be a hockey team (Flames + Thrashers AND there's a phoenix in the city seal--a city that rose from the ashes after the Civil War.) And, no sister clubs, at least not directly.

For Atlanta I would consider some of the following names / identities.

The city of Atlanta was incorporated official as "Atlanta" in 1847, so something like Atlanta 1845 FC / SC would work. One of the more interesting names, which I would love, would be to play off the city's original name which was Terminus, founding in 1837. You could play off the city's railroad history. I think a name like Terminus FC / SC (whichever you prefer) would be unique and personally, I find it appealing. The city was burnt to the ground in 1864 and rebuilt, so you could also play off that date for an Atlanta 1864 FC or something. Having risen from the ashes after the town was burnt, the city has adopted the Phoenix in its official seal. So you could play off the Phoenix, although another bird-associated team name I am not a huge fan of. We already have/had the Hawks, Falcons, and Thrashers. I think there are so many other opportunities to be unique. The city is also known for its abundance of trees within the urban landscape, so a team name such as Forest FC / SC or Atlanta Forest FC / SC would be appropriate and unique. You could also play off of the city's past Olympic hosting duties, borrowing from European club names, with something like Olympic Atlanta.

In summary, I feel there are so many unique, interesting concepts that it would be a shame to do something generic with the city. My preferences lie with Terminus and the railroad motif, but a concept built around the city's founding dates or forest / tree reputation would be intriguing as well.

ATLJ: Atlanta has lots of options, having such a rich history. I just have been putting more focus on smaller cities at the moment, if you can tell from the pattern of what has names and what hasn't, simply because a smaller city makes it easier for me to focus on one defining characteristic. I find that the awkward thing with calling a professinal team Phoenix is because there is a city called Phoenix, so "Atlanta Phoenix" sounds like "City City". And in real life, the IOC controls the word "Olympic" with an iron fist, so it would be difficult to come up with something that could theoretically exist coming off that identity.

Oh, and one more thing, it looks like I'll most likely be able to replace my dying computer sometime around June. So I won't be cranking out many logos between now and then. As my computer degrades, Inkscape is getting harder and harder to work with. I'll be getting out my PuckDrawn submission for this weekend, then may not do much for a little while.

rATMcmK.png

• 3 weeks later...

I took a few weeks off from this project because school has been absolutely insane. The good news is that it looks like I will finish my first semester back in school with all A's.

It looks like I will be getting a replacement for my computer sometime in June, at which point I look forward to diving into creating logos. In the meantime, I want to finalise my team name list. I've just added some more final decisions and some more ideas to the list. Your input is appreciated on the ones that aren't finalised.

Thanks!

Peace

Whittier

rATMcmK.png

sohiosportsfreak: That's the exact direction I want to go, somehow tying flying pigs and aviation history together. The trick will be for me to pull it off without being tco cartoonish, which just isn't my aesthetic.

rATMcmK.png

I'm well over halfway done with my team name list. I think, by the time I have it finalised, I will have purchased my new computer and be able to created graphic identities. I've been doing a lot of pencil sketches, esp for Denver, Minneapolis, and Memphis, so I'm excited to see this develop.

rATMcmK.png

Cities I'm still clueless on and would appreciate suggestions:

Los Angeles

Chicago

Houston (Stars?-referring to space programme)

Dallas (Wildcats?)

Phoenix (Caballeros?)

Washington

Detroit (Ambassadors?)

Miami

Atlanta

Columbus

Seattle (Okay, home of both Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. It's gotta be something musical.)

Las Vegas (Silverbacks? Vaqueros? Lights?)

New Orleans (Crescents?)

Cleveland (Foresters?)

Sacramento (Rush?)

St. Louis (Archers? Showboats?)

Raleigh (Triangle FC? Oaks? Scholars?)

rATMcmK.png

Seattle (Okay, home of both Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. It's gotta be something musical.)

Seattle Six-Strings

Seattle Chords

Seattle Amps

Seattle Lefties (Jimi and Kurt were both left handed)

Seattle Six-Strings, it's really unique, and it goes along with the alliteration most Seattle teams have.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Atlanta Legion SC was the winner of a name contest on Big Soccer's Atlanta MLS Expansion board. That was the best one, in my opinion. (Georgia's military history plays into this one, and just sounds awesome.)

Other good ones that were suggested include Atlanta Empire (Georgia is called the Empire State of the South), Olympic Atlanta (1996 Summer Games were in Atlanta), and my personal entry, Inter Atlanta FC (like Italy's Inter Milan, recognizes Atlanta as a true international city).

Vancouver-Road.pngQPR-Home.pngVancouver-Home.pngQPR-Road.png

Archived