Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they had incorporated the Brooklyn Bridge somehow. Its so recognizable, I think they could have came up with a nice subtle way to include it in the logo... maybe they thought that would be too much like Golden State's logo though.

The Brooklyn Bridge is recognizable to people outside New York, but to people from Brooklyn, it's just that; a tourist attraction. Incorporating the bridge would have been terribly expected if you ask me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Not a fan of the arial narrow font; I was almost sure they would try something cursive...

The idea of using a script was almost immediately shot down by NBA legal because MLB vehemently defends its trademark on the Dodgers' script 'Brooklyn' and the NBA did not want to risk a legal tussle in any way.

The type they've been using on the billboards is of the Akzidenz Grotesk family, by the way, not Arial.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I wish they had incorporated the Brooklyn Bridge somehow. Its so recognizable, I think they could have came up with a nice subtle way to include it in the logo... maybe they thought that would be too much like Golden State's logo though.

The Brooklyn Bridge is recognizable to people outside New York, but to people from Brooklyn, it's just that; a tourist attraction. Incorporating the bridge would have been terribly expected if you ask me.

I don't know about that, but in any case, Brooklyn doesn't have all that many real icons. If only they were strong enough to use a mermaid...

I still wish they'd incorporate a net in their logo - a chain net.

Any net would be preferable, really. Is it so much to ask for the Nets to finally use a net?

They do use one in their current logo. What else do you think that is around the basketball? A hula hoop?

there is a slight difference between a rim and a net.

In fact that inclusion of the rim makes the absence of a net all the worse.

Any net would be preferable, really. Is it so much to ask for the Nets to finally use a net?

They do use one in their current logo. What else do you think that is around the basketball? A hula hoop?

there is a slight difference between a rim and a net.

In fact that inclusion of the rim makes the absence of a net all the worse.

Good point. Someone should try a concept of that idea.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Made a crappy edit in MS Paint...

sBw30.png

With added color, it's alot better. Either way, I figured we'd get something like this logo when we saw the shield preview. As stated somewhere in this thread, it only seems like a natural evolution of the previous logo.

I'm calling the return of a grey jersey, too.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just remembered what the New Jersey Nets logo reminded me of... the Kids WB logo!

yESRv.jpg

hvkhsaffs9x9zre7gku4vmnte.gif

I always figured there was something familiar about the Nets logo, but I just now put it together. Wow.

bSLCtu2.png

To be honest, I like the simplicity. The only thing that gets me is that the B needs to be able to stand on its own, and right now it isn't able to do so. I'm guessing that had to do with similar reasons regarding the script that Andrew discussed. Its different and is getting people talking, so it is doing its job.

With a few re-colors coming on, I figure I'd put in my $.02. Added Athletic Gold to the color scheme, quick 'n dirty, as this logo is that simple:

Gold Outline and Basketball:

6971847922_c98a7787fc_b.jpg

Gold Outline, White Basketball:

6971847934_2642babca2_b.jpg

Personally, I like the gold outline and basketball myself, but maybe a white stroke on the "B" in the first or a gold stroke on the second might help, as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived