Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shield based logo would have worked well had they gone with Knights, which I still think is a missed opportunity.

See, I love all those. If only they had a unique, signature "B" these would be fantastic.

I don't think a lettermark has to be unique to become signature...

This "C" is definitely not unique.

hgfo3z55h3a2122gv8c280pj7.gif

Unique? No. Old? Yes. It takes time for something that's not unique to become iconic. I don't think it's likely that the new Nets B will still be in use 50 years from now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Reminds me of the OKC generic uniform logo they had before the "Thunder" nickname arrived.

My thing is...let's be honest, it doesn't take a lot of work to create the actual design presented here. A lot of brainstorming, options, and other behind the scenes marketing went on...I understand that...but how much does an organization really pay for something that, in the end, could be created in 5 minutes in Illustrator?

I'm not feeling ANY of this...

Thank God they're out of Jersey...

I hate all of this as well. But watch what you say about New Jersey...

You have an uncanny ability for misinterpreting posts..."Thank God they're out of Jersey" is actually a compliment to the state. Thank God we rid ourselves of these uncreative sacks of turd. Please try to take a moment to let the gist of the post sink in before commenting.

Unique? No. Old? Yes. It takes time for something that's not unique to become iconic. I don't think it's likely that the new Nets B will still be in use 50 years from now.

Except that's what they're trying to do. Build up a brand that has lasting power. Might not look like much now, but if they stick with this for 50 years, who knows?

ArgDjjWCIAAQMqK.jpg

ArgDIucCMAE165S.jpg

This highlights how Jay-Zzzz and his designer pal missed the boat on this rebrand. "Brooklyn" is what sells that shirt to me. Not some generic, block B layered on top of a clipart basketball. Why is "Nets" featured so prominently on the shield and "Brooklyn" is relegated to half-ass, implied status with some :censored:ty B that for all we know could mean anything but Brooklyn. Does adding that God-awful logo add anything of value to a shirt I could already buy at Brooklyn Industries with the word Brooklyn on it? It's forgetable.

See, I love all those. If only they had a unique, signature "B" these would be fantastic.

I should have said "distinctive", which that Cubs' C definitely is. The "B" just doesn't have the same feel to me as that "C", which is I think more a function of the balance, the way it forms almost a perfect circle.

Any net would be preferable, really. Is it so much to ask for the Nets to finally use a net?

Why do people want to see a net so much? Because really, New York teams and graphical representation of nicknames just don't mix. Case examples...

Not to mention that a net is an awfully difficult thing to work into a logo. Only the CaVs ever got it to work and it was kinda lame anyway - especially the 90's rebrand. Chain nets is a good idea but sounds even tougher to pull out - the amount of detail needed to make it look like a chain would be too much. The rim without a net was bad though.

This highlights how Jay-Zzzz and his designer pal missed the boat on this rebrand. "Brooklyn" is what sells that shirt to me. Not some generic, block B layered on top of a clipart basketball. Why is "Nets" featured so prominently on the shield and "Brooklyn" is relegated to half-ass, implied status with some :censored:ty B that for all we know could mean anything but Brooklyn. Does adding that God-awful logo add anything of value to a shirt I could already buy at Brooklyn Industries with the word Brooklyn on it? It's forgetable.

If that's the problem people have then its a non-issue. What they are trying to sell is the brand identity, not the primary logo. It's like in baseball where you can have a primary logo and a cap logo. In many cases the cap logo is more famous than the primary because its more associated with the brand, even if the primary logo is what appears in publications and such.

Case in point - the Yankees. Both their primary and cap logos are famous, but on 90% of merchandising, their primary doesn't appear at all.

My $0.02 on a fix to the logo (plus a partial logo). Seems like some consensus among people is that the "B" needs to be memorable, a 3rd color needs to be added, and the city name needs to be present. I also added a slight nod to the crenelation of the Bridge.

*original idea snipped*

Now that's what i call a logo. Primary is 10x better than the original, borough name is there, has some iconic element of Brooklyn in it and "B" has the potential to become a classic over time.

For the partial logo though i'll say just go with just letters BK or BKLYN in a shield, don't really need a basketball there.

Good call. Also, looking at the "B in shield" drew me to this revision:

BrooklynNetsFix2.png

If that's the problem people have then its a non-issue. What they are trying to sell is the brand identity, not the primary logo. It's like in baseball where you can have a primary logo and a cap logo. In many cases the cap logo is more famous than the primary because its more associated with the brand, even if the primary logo is what appears in publications and such.

Case in point - the Yankees. Both their primary and cap logos are famous, but on 90% of merchandising, their primary doesn't appear at all.

If the Yankees were a new team today, and all they had was an interlocking NY to show their fans, I'm sure they'd be met with the same level of WTF as the Nets are currently experiencing. Comparing a simple yet iconic image such as the Yankee NY with the Nets is apples to oranges. The Yankee NY has remained relatively unchanged for decades, all the while, hall of famers have worn it, championship pennants have adorned it, etc. THAT is why the NY is iconic. Not because it's simple.

Point 2: Brookyn, as a brand, will sell, but the Nets need to create their own brand. And that means having a logo to represent yourself, not just slapping "Brooklyn" to your name. What they came up with just doesn't cut it. You don't become iconic overnight. But you need something to catch people's attention while you get there. I'm still holding out hope that the uniforms will draw the attention off the logo because as it is, that logo is very forgetable.

The Nets will become internationally known as long as Jay Z is at the helm and pimping the brand through his empire.

"The Nets could go 0-for-82 and I'd still look at you like this :censored: gravy", and so on. Soon he'll be wearing the Nets logo and putting it on Rockawear gear, and it'll be a hit. Very lucrative.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I should have said "distinctive", which that Cubs' C definitely is. The "B" just doesn't have the same feel to me as that "C", which is I think more a function of the balance, the way it forms almost a perfect circle.

Couldn't agree more on this point. Despite the similar levels of simplicity, the Cubs' C is infinitely better than this because it has more of a "graphic" vibe. The C is beautifully symmetrical and has a heavier, almost image-like quality due to the fact that it is so close to being a perfect circle. It's simple, yet sublime, and it feels like a unique graphic representation, even if it's essentially a circle with a wedge removed.

The Nets' new logo--and, more specifically, the B itself--is just as simple as the Cubs C. But it doesn't have that geometry or balance or weight, and, consequently, looks more like someone just typed up "NETS" and "B" in the first sans face they thought looked nice. As others have said, I'm sure a lot more went into the process than meets the eye, but the end result lacks the gravitas that other simple logos can have. It's not horrible, but it is boring, and (what's worse) it has so little character. The decision to go with only black and white contribute to this.

If the Yankees were a new team today, and all they had was an interlocking NY to show their fans, I'm sure they'd be met with the same level of WTF as the Nets are currently experiencing. Comparing a simple yet iconic image such as the Yankee NY with the Nets is apples to oranges. The Yankee NY has remained relatively unchanged for decades, all the while, hall of famers have worn it, championship pennants have adorned it, etc. THAT is why the NY is iconic. Not because it's simple.

I have to disagree on the Yankees comment, and it has to do with what I said above. While there's no question that time and success help to create that iconic NY Yankees brand, I still believe that had it been released today, side-by-side with the new Nets' brand, most people would instantly gravitate toward the interlocking NY over the B.

It's simple, but but the NY has balance; heaviness of form; varying line weight; both curvilinear strokes and razor-sharp angles; and (most importantly) a unique character and style. All of those are completely lacking from the B.

On another note, it seems like we are starting to see a pendulum swing toward ultra-reserved, intentionally simple branding in major professional sports (this and the Lightning jump immediately to mind). I'm not sure if it hasn't swung too far on this one.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived