Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late reaction since I'm not a big basketball fan, but here's my problems with the primary logo:

2zdn6ds.png

The secondary logo is uninspired garbage that anyone could make. However, the color scheme is awesome! It just fits Brooklyn for some reason. I think of cadillacs, newspaper print, and vintage. It's perfect. I really want to like it. It has some nostalgiac value already. I look at the logo and the font and I feel like I've seen it before. It's horrifically beautiful.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Interesting that no NFL or MLB team has immitated the Raiders and White Sox color schemes like our Nets have so boldy done.

If one were to compare the Nets' new color scheme to the Raiders and the White Sox, then one would need to acknowledge the Spurs.

Spurs-Nets games will look like an intrasquad game.

I'd say that at least the logo package is much more reminiscent of the White Sox than Raiders, since the Sox look is black and white with a little silver/gray, whereas the Raiders are just silver and black. Is silver an official color of the Nets appearing on the uniforms?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Late reaction since I'm not a big basketball fan, but here's my problems with the primary logo:

2zdn6ds.png

Is the arch *really* uneven? You can't use the left bottom corner of the "N" as a baseline, since the "S" is curved and doesn't have an analogous right corner that would dip that far on the other end of the arch.

Just by squinting at it, the middle of the bottom of the "N" appears to be on the same horizontal line as the middle of the bottom of the "S," but I could be wrong.

The secondary is a cut above the primary. I get that the shield is meant to represent the Jersey days, but they should really look into phasing it out and make the circle badge their primary going forward. It does wonders to the basketball/B combination and makes it fit-in a lot more than the shield does. Truth be told, I actually like it. Just a little.

1053_large5.jpg

The basketball version of the logo looks alot cleaner then the shield version.

I don't know why they just didn't replace the New York with Nets and make that the primary. If your going to do simplistic look, make it look clean at least. Not sure what they were going for with their primary.

2zdn6ds.png

Is the arch *really* uneven? You can't use the left bottom corner of the "N" as a baseline, since the "S" is curved and doesn't have an analogous right corner that would dip that far on the other end of the arch.

Just by squinting at it, the middle of the bottom of the "N" appears to be on the same horizontal line as the middle of the bottom of the "S," but I could be wrong.

You're correct. The curve of the S makes the arch appear off when it is actually not.

In addition, the basketball is not "3D", it's simply rotated. For it to be 3D there would need to be some shadowing and highlights to make it appear so. Also, the B looks to be the same font as "Nets". There's really no way to compare N-E-T-S to the B to prove otherwise, and it appears similar enough that one can assume it's the same font. And it looks thinner because it's a slightly smaller size than "Nets".

In otherwords, there's really no errors (other than the S itself, which isn't really an error since that is how it would appear with the arching, but they probably could've gone back and altered it to make it look better). Just a lack of creativity.

1083_large.jpg

I did that script, too. That one's more inspired by the Dodgers, though. You can see the hand drawn texture up close.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

In addition, the basketball is not "3D", it's simply rotated. For it to be 3D there would need to be some shadowing and highlights to make it appear so.

Yeah, I don't get that criticism at all.

It sticks out like a sore thumb to me, that's all. I also am not a fan of how the arch looks against the shield. It makes it look like it's trying to be curved away from you (the lettering and the sheild), but at the same time, it doesn't. It confuses your mind. It's just...wonky.

By the way, I love that shirt andrewharrington.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I really like this identity the more I see it, especially the color scheme. I can't wait to see what the uniforms look like, I hope they finish off this identity well. And I think the merchandise is the best part. If I were a Nets fan, I'd be all over that.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

1083_large.jpg

I did that script, too. That one's more inspired by the Dodgers, though. You can see the hand drawn texture up close.

See, now that's a nice "hand-drawn" script; it's smooth and has character.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1083_large.jpg

That would look excellent on a jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1083_large.jpg

That would look excellent on a jersey.

With a different brand, definitely. That's a beautiful script. However, I'm not a big fan of mixing script and block lettering within a brand. Given the logo set, I think they need to go with block lettering on the uni's.

I wonder if using the basketball on the center of the jersey as a backdrop for the player numbers would be too similar to Golden State? It would look nice though. Anyone able to make a mockup of how that would look?

The secondary is a cut above the primary. I get that the shield is meant to represent the Jersey days, but they should really look into phasing it out and make the circle badge their primary going forward. It does wonders to the basketball/B combination and makes it fit-in a lot more than the shield does. Truth be told, I actually like it. Just a little.

1053_large5.jpg

This is the best I've seen of the bunch. That being said, why must so many teams use a basketball in their logo. Honestly, it's been done to death. Even just a simple circle around the B would be preferred and more interesting.

Archived