Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

I don't get why. Does the NBA fear teams are so little known that the public might not know they are a basketball team? Look at how many teams in the other leagues use their sport's ball in the logo. Even the MLS, as little known as their teams are, don't do this as much as the NBA.

NFL

1 out of 32

MLB

1 out of 30

MLS

6 out of 19

NBA

19 out of 30

Actually, MLB has 10 out of 30 teams use that ball in their primary logos (Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Rockies, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Giants).

Not to mention 3 teams use bats as well, though the Yankees use both a bat and ball.

If you include other baseball equipment (e.g., bases, baseball diamonds, etc.), you pull in the Rays - and arguably the Phillies (if you assume that the background is a baseball field). The Orioles' primary had green grass and base paths up until '08.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful. Just boring, basic, rote, and terrible. Is there any indication that these are Pilots-to-Brewers-type placeholders? Because if not, woe to the Republic is all I can say. there's B/W, there's stark, and there's awful. These are awful.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I don't get why. Does the NBA fear teams are so little known that the public might not know they are a basketball team? Look at how many teams in the other leagues use their sport's ball in the logo. Even the MLS, as little known as their teams are, don't do this as much as the NBA.

NFL

1 out of 32

MLB

1 out of 30

MLS

6 out of 19

NBA

19 out of 30

It's easier to incorporate any script into a basketball. You don't have to worry about whether it'll look good or not since you can pretty much rotate the ball any way to fit the script. Can't do that with an egg shaped ball and baseball has got it's cap logos which are most of the times more popular than the primary.

But i agree that they should ease up on it. Hawks, Kings, Thunder and Hornets don't really need a basketball in their logos and Clippers, Pistons and Knicks should be able to create a better primary logo which doesn't rely on a basketball at all (maybe even sixers).

bkn.png

paint greatness :)

Same mistake as the current Warriors! It's not a hockey crest, it's got to be white shield on white jersey, black shield on black jersey, so it winds up being only an outline. Those stupid Warriors jerseys look like some kind of medallion or token weirdly sewn on the jersey. The old ones integrated into the jersey much better.

Seriously though I wondered before if they'd use a shield outline like that; probably clashes too much with the simple look they're going for.

The whole identity is growing on me and I like it quite a bit now.

http://mobile.netsdaily.com/2012/4/30/2989236/the-origin-of-a-corporate-identity

A explaination of what the inspiration was for the Nets rebrand. I guess they did some homework and didnt just throw these logos together.

Interesting article; thanks for the link.

[T]he Nets note that the identity is based on New York city subway signage from the 1940's and 1950's. Specifically, the Nets note that the "identity incorporates a timeless black and white color palette of the old New York subway signage system, including its clean 'RollSign' typeface. The treatment celebrates the history and heritage of the city by drawing upon the familiar signage from when Brooklyn last had its own major professional team in 1957."

2cf8cc1d32a8ff40dda40a50aaa540d9.15299.png

So, here are some other old NYC subway signs, courtesy of Google:

il_570xN.262816489.jpg

title-indpage.jpg

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

Now that they mention it, I can definitely sense the nostalgia.

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

They really are doing a great job with marketing this. I guess my expectations were low with how the marketing went when the team was in NJ.
Let's be fair... What was there to market in NJ?

Sadly, not a lot could have been marketed in NJ. However, I see that a lot of you have grown on this logo, but I still have not. It is way too boring and not exciting. Now the only saving grace is the jerseys, which I have a feeling are going to incorporate a script font.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

I agree. Much better after seeing this. BUT modern basketball rendering ruins it. If they were going old style, make the rendering old style too. Would have made for a much better look.

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

I agree. Much better after seeing this. BUT modern basketball rendering ruins it. If they were going old style, make the rendering old style too. Would have made for a much better look.

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

Vertical line down the middle is needed. And the rotated ball gives it at least some creativity.

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

Vertical line down the middle is needed. And the rotated ball gives it at least some creativity.

I'd argue that the rotated ball isn't creative at all since that version is seen in countless basketball logos in the NBA, NCAA, etc.

The point is if it's to look old style, then make it look old style. Be consistent. Otherwise you get a design that simply doesn't work.

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

Id center the ball, but make the lines look like the word mark on a

Spallding ball, with Brooklyn instead of spalding.

Hate typing while drivng

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

i think the idea is retro with a modern twist, not just retro. Acknowledge the past but also ushering in a new era

why must so many teams use a basketball in their logo. Honestly, it's been done to death.

That's a league directive, IIRC.

It's probably encouraged, not directed.

The Spurs and Blazers don't use basketballs at all, and the Bobcats, Bulls, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Grizzlies, Bucks, and Timberwolves don't use a basketball in their primary logos

NFL

1 out of 32

MLB

1 out of 30

MLS

6 out of 19

NBA

19 out of 30

NFL is 2/32 ( Jets and Bucs).

http://mobile.netsdaily.com/2012/4/30/2989236/the-origin-of-a-corporate-identity

A explaination of what the inspiration was for the Nets rebrand. I guess they did some homework and didnt just throw these logos together.

Interesting article; thanks for the link.

[T]he Nets note that the identity is based on New York city subway signage from the 1940's and 1950's. Specifically, the Nets note that the "identity incorporates a timeless black and white color palette of the old New York subway signage system, including its clean 'RollSign' typeface. The treatment celebrates the history and heritage of the city by drawing upon the familiar signage from when Brooklyn last had its own major professional team in 1957."

2cf8cc1d32a8ff40dda40a50aaa540d9.15299.png

So, here are some other old NYC subway signs, courtesy of Google:

il_570xN.262816489.jpg

title-indpage.jpg

no problem. Im glad i came across that honestly. Im a fan of the rebrand but i have to admit it does come off as uninspired so its good they had some genuine inspiration and direction

Archived