Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

Haha, "Nets B." It even says right there "this is my second choice."

I'd like to challenge the notion that this is a brilliant callback to old-time subway signage once you do the research.

1) If you have to do that much research, it's not brilliant.

2) The lettering on the signage is straight across. When Lights Out and I did our parallel MTA-era-transit-inspired Nets packages, I'm pretty sure both of us always had our Helvetica running across with no arching. To have compromised it in such a fashion would've taken it away from its antecedent and just made it a bunch of letters. Which this is. And it's not even the same font, anyway. And on the arch note, it's vertical in the logo, radial on the uniforms, and neither on the original signage. So I'm not really that impressed.

As for the notion that this will lead to classy apparel that you can wear anywhere, I'd say that I've never worn a sports logo on my clothing anywhere that I've wanted to be taken seriously and I would submit that it's not because any intrinsic qualities of a Cubs logo or a Blackhawks logo so much as the fact that I'm wearing something related to sports.

Finally, who'd have ever guessed that the relocated Montreal Juniors would kick-start a new trend of just black/just white in sports?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who thinks the logo looks clean in black and white but becomes MORE boring with color? I wouldn't change much.

Nope - it's sharp in BW, but adding other colors throws the whole thing off.

The only thing of change is the "B". Other than that, this scheme is beautiful. It's almost enough to overcome my extreme and active disinterest in the NBA.

You've mentioned your disinterest in the NBA a couple of times now, and you're Mr. Brooklyn here -- are you really not going to see some games? I'd think your apparent civic pride would put you in a seat at least once. Didn't you say it's within walking distance? You can't possibly be suggesting you'll ignore your new neighbors?

Probably so.

I lived within walking distance of Madison Square Garden for eight years, and never once bothered to walk over to see the Knicks.

Maybe I'll go to a game if I score some very cheap tix Or I'll go if one of my kids gets into basketball when they get older, but I doubt I will be bying tickets for my own sake.

I wish the Nets well, and I love this logo set, but I won't be buying any merchandise. Personally, I'm not one to wear team gear as a fashion statement, no matter how much I lie the look.

Just one Brooklynite's perspective, and probably a minority one at that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

HAHA oh wow. I don't get how he jumped off from black/white color scheme to that though. So, it's black and white... does that mean the White Sox are trying to be overtly urban too? I don't get it.

Wow. I really don't know what to say. I mean, I already said that I think some of the interest in the new brand is because of Jay-Z, but that's not because he's black, it's because he's an American cultural icon. Even people who don't listen to rap know who Jay-Z is.

His piece is especially ridiculous since Jay-Z owns a grand total of 2% of the team! Yes, he clearly controls the team's direction! What a moron. I wish Jay-Z owned a bigger portion of the team just to piss this racist prick off for real. It's that new-fangled rap music with their hipping and their hopping. Damn kids...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Can't forget that an editor let that one slide.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Isn't Mushnik's schtick all about decrying sensationalism, coarseness and hype in sports media?

Yup, Yup, Correct

In fact Mushnik has basically insisted that Vince McMahon should be thrown in jail for life for the WWE and how it cheapens culture.

In fact if another writer did this Mushnik would be the first to demand his head.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The first time I ever heard of Phil Mushnick was about 20 years ago, when he foamed at the mouth about the gratuitously violent depiction of the refined gentleman's game that was "John Madden Football" for Sega Genesis. At one point in his published screed, he told the game's makers to "go straight to hell".

I can't believe that someone who's been that much of an old crank for this long is still alive. He needs to join Murray Chass in the field of "retired New York hacks who still write columns exclusively on the internet in something that is most decidedly not a blog, because 'blogger' is an epithet I still enjoy throwing around at those who are younger and better at this than I am."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Probably so.

I lived within walking distance of Madison Square Garden for eight years, and never once bothered to walk over to see the Knicks.

Maybe I'll go to a game if I score some very cheap tix Or I'll go if one of my kids gets into basketball when they get older, but I doubt I will be bying tickets for my own sake.

I wish the Nets well, and I love this logo set, but I won't be buying any merchandise. Personally, I'm not one to wear team gear as a fashion statement, no matter how much I lie the look.

Just one Brooklynite's perspective, and probably a minority one at that.

Fair enough. I'm more of the type to check out a sporting event if it's even remotely in my neighborhood, and by that I mean "Chicagoland" (far-flung examples of teams I had little interest in: Northwestern football in Evanston and Chicago Fire soccer in Bridgeview). Just figured curiosity might get you to check out a game or two when it's that close.

And now, by all means everyone, please continue shredding Phil Mushnick.

The first time I ever heard of Phil Mushnick was about 20 years ago, when he foamed at the mouth about the gratuitously violent depiction of the refined gentleman's game that was "John Madden Football" for Sega Genesis. At one point in his published screed, he told the game's makers to "go straight to hell".

I can't believe that someone who's been that much of an old crank for this long is still alive. He needs to join Murray Chass in the field of "retired New York hacks who still write columns exclusively on the internet in something that is most decidedly not a blog, because 'blogger' is an epithet I still enjoy throwing around at those who are younger and better at this than I am."

Mine was about 15 years ago, when Jim Cornette did editorials on Monday Night Raw and railed on Mushnick for hating wrestling. In retrospect, if his stance was that young children shouldn't have been watching Raw, he was probably right. All my friends and I who liked wrestling in 1997 are irreparably damaged people, most likely as a result of having liked the WWF. He's still an idiot, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Nets "BROOKLYN" font slightly reminds me of the font the NY Cosmos use in much of their marketing pieces. However, I think if they used something like this, it would look much better. I hate the way "NETS" looks in the shield.

200px-Brooklyn_Nets_Logo.png

vs.

changing_room_500x400-10019-cropped.jpg

Archived