Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

God, the MLS needs to bring in the Cosmos ASAP. That is such a gorgeous logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably so.

I lived within walking distance of Madison Square Garden for eight years, and never once bothered to walk over to see the Knicks.

Maybe I'll go to a game if I score some very cheap tix Or I'll go if one of my kids gets into basketball when they get older, but I doubt I will be bying tickets for my own sake.

I see a lot of disdain for the NBA from people, some of the "only like college ball" variety, some for other reasons, and I never quite understood it. I have a lot of disdain for major league baseball due to its lack of a salary cap, and I don't follow hockey as closely as other leagues, or MLS or NASCAR at all, but as a sports fan I still like them.

What is your reason for active dislike? Bear in mind that any answer other than "it has been rigged for 20 years in favor of Jordan's Bulls and afterwards the Lakers" is not acceptable. :-) At times I've said I love big league American pro ball but hate the NBA...

I've never been into college basketball. I'm not into college sports in general, other than wanting my alma maters to do well.

I lost interest in basketball when the NBA moved into promoting players over teams and flash over fundamentals. I got bored of all the endless hype, stopped attending and realized after a couple years that I didn't miss it all that much. Now, who knows? If my kids are into basketball, then I'll start going again with them.

As for the Nets, I'm seeing their merchandise everywhere. Today alone, I saw people wearing various Brooklyn Net caps in Park Slope, Green-Wood and Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, as well as Chelsea and the Lower East Side, Manhattan. I also saw a black Nets track jacket at the Central Park Zoo today and last night I complimented a kid up at Columbia on his Nets t-shirt.

And this is less than one week on the shelves. That stuff is selling.

God, the MLS needs to bring in the Cosmos ASAP. That is such a gorgeous logo.

I'm a big fan of that one, too. It's very much of its time, but that's what makes it so cool. It'd be the best brand in MLS if they joined.

But back on topic, I can't get behind Nets B Brooklyn at all. I await their games with Thunder OKC.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

MLS has learned too much in recent years not to make the Cosmos the next franchise.

That one I can't wait for.

And fwiw, although I'm not in love with the crest, I really do like the recent tweaks. The new owners put "New York" back on the crest, absent since 1978, and they changed the font to a gorgeous sans-serif that has a similar feel as the Nets' new font.

hello_brooklyn_tee.jpeg

sm_ANTHEM-JACKET-BACK-FINAL.jpg

Man im so tired of people like that writer taking incredibly ignorant shots at urban and hip hop culture. Are there some knuckleheads that exist within it? Sure, but they dont represent the culture/genre as a whole. Say what you want about Jay-Z but you have to respect the longevity he has shown and his business sense. He is a smart guy. He has done an incredible feat in creating buzz and having input on a team that was on a short list of teams that you probably wouldn't see if they paid you. What do i know, im just a hip hop listening, gun toting, thug n**** of course.

Well, I don't know if I'd give Jay-Z that much credit. I mean, yeah, he probably had a hand in it, but he also owns only a small share of the team.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

MLS has learned too much in recent years not to make the Cosmos the next franchise.

That one I can't wait for.

And fwiw, although I'm not in love with the crest, I really do like the recent tweaks. The new owners put "New York" back on the crest, absent since 1978, and they changed the font to a gorgeous sans-serif that has a similar feel as the Nets' new font.

hello_brooklyn_tee.jpeg

sm_ANTHEM-JACKET-BACK-FINAL.jpg

So do the cosmos still play? Or do they just sell merch like the globetrotters? I know the trotters still "play" but its the only team that acts more as a nostalgia brand than a real team.

Well, I don't know if I'd give Jay-Z that much credit. I mean, yeah, he probably had a hand in it, but he also owns only a small share of the team.

I hear you. What i mean is all anyone ever heard out of Jay is brooklyn this, brooklyn that...nets this, nets that. I believe in order for this move to be successful it needed a face in the forefront that would garner attention. If that isnt Jay-Z i dont know who is.

So do the cosmos still play? Or do they just sell merch like the globetrotters? I know the trotters still "play" but its the only team that acts more as a nostalgia brand than a real team.

The Cosmos "play," kind of. For their inaugural game, they had a roster made up of retired European veterans like Dwight Yorke and Sol Campbell, no doubt because Eric Cantona is an executive with the club. It's more of an organization formed with the intent of securing the expansion spot in MLS.

The Cosmos "play," kind of. For their inaugural game, they had a roster made up of retired European veterans like Dwight Yorke and Sol Campbell, no doubt because Eric Cantona is an executive with the club. It's more of an organization formed with the intent of securing the expansion spot in MLS.

Exactly.

After the NASL folded, the Cosmos moved into youth camps. The organization was sold to new owners a year ago with an eye towards joining MLS. Everything they've done, including selling merchandise, has been towards that (if you'll forgive me) goal.

Exactly.

After the NASL folded, the Cosmos moved into youth camps. The organization was sold to new owners a year ago with an eye towards joining MLS. Everything they've done, including selling merchandise, has been towards that (if you'll forgive me) goal.

makes sense.

MLS looking for 2 teams in New York? I dont follow the league in depth so i dont know if the Red Bulls are really in new york a la the Angels.

They're next to Newark. The Cosmos would be in Queens or on Randalls Island, would be my guess. Does the stadium on Randalls still accommodate soccer?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

makes sense.

MLS looking for 2 teams in New York? I dont follow the league in depth so i dont know if the Red Bulls are really in new york a la the Angels.

Well, the Red Bulls play in New Jersey, but the Cosmos are looking to build a stadium actually in New York. If they're successful, they'll be more NY-centric than the NFL is.

I've never been one If those who say "dey play across da river, so dey ain't a New Yoik team". But as a huge soccer fan who's been back in New York as long as MLS has been playing, the MetroStars/Red Bulls have had almost no interest in New York City since Day One.

One of the many mid-steps of the league's earliest day (along with the misguided attempt to "Americanize" the sport) was a presumption that soccer is a suburban sport. I don't know what marketing they did to those suburbs, but they didn't do much in the city itself.

In the last year or so, the Cosmos have done more to support and grow our local soccer culture than that other team ever did. That's why I say New York doesn't have a team in MLS, and why I'm really looking forward to the first Cosmos game.

Well, I didn't mean it in the sense that the Red Bulls/Giants/Jets aren't true New York teams. I just meant that the MLS would have more teams that actually play in New York than the NFL. However, I do understand your reasoning.

I don't know why I can't find a pic of it, but that Brooklyn Nets shirt with the headphones on the logo apparently isn't just relegated to them. I saw someone wearing it in the crowd during Spurs/Jazz, the J note logo with headphones and it looked incredible.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived