Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

So I went to Barclay's center the other day, and was surprised by how unfinished it was. It's going to look damn cool once it's done, but they have way more to do than I was expecting (of course I didn't do any research as to the progress, so I was perhaps unfairly expecting to see a near-completed arena.)

For what it's worth, I did not see a single piece of Brooklyn Nets gear in Brooklyn, Queens, or Manhattan. Granted, I wasn't in Manhatten for too long (and it's mostly tourists anyway), but I was all over Brooklyn and specifically looking for people wearing shirts or caps. None of this is to argue with anyone who claims that it's selling like hot cakes, just reporting my personal observation from my admittedly brief study.

They still have 25% of the work left. But that's typically how it is. Most of the work happen after the superstructure is completed and the building is enclosed.

As for Nets gear, they are definitely there. Nothing near the scale of Yankee hats though, but I've seen more Nets gear recently than Rangers or Devils gear even with those teams deep in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing will ever equal the amount of Yankee caps in this town. The Mets made a good run at it in the early 90s, but couldn't sustain it.

And that is partially fashion-based, but this is a baseball city first and foremost. I'd wager a guess that the Knicks fall around the fifth most popular team in town, behind both football teams and miles behind the baseball clubs. That's what the Nets will be aiming for, not Yankee-sized numbers.

Well that's like most cities, but 3rd instead of 5th. If the Nets can secure 6th, that'd be a success.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well that's like most cities, but 3rd instead of 5th. If the Nets can secure 6th, that'd be a success.

Definitely. It'd be much better than the 9th place they are in currently (which lands them just above the Red Bulls, and heck, even Red Bulls fans tend to be louder at the games)

Definitely. It'd be much better than the 9th place they are in currently (which lands them just above the Red Bulls, and heck, even Red Bulls fans tend to be louder at the games)

In New York, I would have put the New Jersey Nets as the city's maybe third or fourth favorite basketball team, behind the Knicks and a couple of teams from places new NYC residents previously lived. :P

Nothing will ever equal the amount of Yankee caps in this town. The Mets made a good run at it in the early 90s, but couldn't sustain it.

And that is partially fashion-based, but this is a baseball city first and foremost. I'd wager a guess that the Knicks fall around the fifth most popular team in town, behind both football teams and miles behind the baseball clubs. That's what the Nets will be aiming for, not Yankee-sized numbers.

Umm, no. The Knicks are the 2nd most popular team behind the Yankees, and New York is definetely a basketball town. Probably has the highest percentage of players in the NBA thn any other league

07Giants.pngnyy.png

And even though New York is not the prototypical football town (though the prototypical football town basically has an overwhelming love of football to the near neglect of any other sport), the NFL is still the most popular league in the country, and the Giants and Jets have TONS of fans. I'd venture to guess that they both have more fans than the Knicks, and am near 100% certain that the Giants have more fans than the Knicks.

The term "basketball town" has to be put in some perspective. Even in a basketball town, football is still likely to be more popular, or at least as popular, as basketball (that goes for major cities, not college towns with dominant college basketball teams), just because basketball is a less popular sport. New York is a tremendous basketball town... but the Giants still are more popular.

Also, one other thing comes into play with New York, and I'd say it does for Chicago as well (and perhaps LA, though you'd be hard-pressed to say LA is anything but a basketball town). Because the area is so gigantic, EVERY sport is going to be pretty popular. New York is well known as a baseball town, is a great basketball town, is a very good hockey town, and even is a good town for football (even if not ever seen as a "football town"). It's the nature of a city so large - it can support 4 different sports (and multiple teams in each) at extremely intense levels.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Umm, no. The Knicks are the 2nd most popular team behind the Yankees, and New York is definetely a basketball town. Probably has the highest percentage of players in the NBA thn any other league

Per percentage sell outs, they had less than the NYR. NY is an "everything" town. Yes most people define NY (sports wise) with the Yankee's, but the Mets, Knicks, and Rangers all do very well.

In New York, I would have put the New Jersey Nets as the city's maybe third or fourth favorite basketball team, behind the Knicks and a couple of teams from places new NYC residents previously lived. :P

Good point... If you put it that way I don't even think they were that high on the list, considering how every Nets home game where they played against the Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, Heat, etc. had the opposing fans dominating the arena.

I'd be tempted to make that bet, Admiral. Especially if I could think of a way in which we could possibly quantify the results.

Won-lost record

Playoff berths and series wins (1 point for making it, 1 for each series win)

Attendance / capacity

Average ticket price * attendance

Local television ratings

Trying to get a balance between on-court and off-court. What do you suggest? We could have something here.

Don't underestimate how badly the Dplans have run the Knicks.

The Dismemberment Plan is running the Knicks?

No wonder they're terrified.

msg-117798227822.jpg

Good point... If you put it that way I don't even think they were that high on the list, considering how every Nets home game where they played against the Bulls, Celtics, Lakers, Heat, etc. had the opposing fans dominating the arena.

Heck, they used to have stadium giveaways with the visiting team's logo on them. If it was ever a good market, it hasn't been one for over a decade.

Not my concept, but better or worse than what they came out with?

301978_VR3QIZIy0_L5IJVdmeLivPoOy.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived