Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's original about it? The tone of the stain?

I notice that it, like the Thunder court, dispenses with the side panels on the key. Not a fan of that. Either have those lines on every court or don't. Those little hashes outside the circle don't have any purpose, but those are there.

No. I thought about how to create something that would be instantly recognizable for Brooklyn. Color would have been good. That's the first thing I thought of, and I pitched it in design meetings, but in the back of my head I figured it would be a longshot for a team to do a dark stain. I pressed on thinking of ways to make Brooklyn's court unique, and it seems one of them stuck (though I can't tell for sure based on the quality of the photo). How well it works, visually, has yet to be seen.

I thought a unique wood grain had been mentioned - is that it? Not exactly a stain; and stains have been done to death (and I hated them from the start.) This looks like a great, clean, traditional court for a great, clean, traditional identity. Only problem is the Nets identity has always been garish, not clean or traditional - but, hey, it's a new start.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a different type of wood than what hardwood courts are typically constructed from.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It looks like vertical strips of lighter and darker wood to me too, but it's still hard to tell from that picture. Kind of like a grass in a baseball outfield. If it really is the vertical stripes I think it will look really good and is definitely unique.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It looks like vertical strips of lighter and darker wood to me too, but it's still hard to tell from that picture. Kind of like a grass in a baseball outfield. If it really is the vertical stripes I think it will look really good and is definitely unique.

11c95c10fad511e181d822000a1cdf77_7.jpg

Here's another look at it. In the upper left hand corner of the court you can see the clear definition of the striping.

Haven't chimed in here for a while, but I'm getting the impression the Nets are going to build an awesome FEELING brand and identity. I love everything about how it feels so far.

But I think I'll always be irked by the many poor design choices with their logos. It's like one of those things where they aren't offensive at all, and parts of them are great, but they just should have been done better.

'Bout time. I'd still like to see some clear photos of it without the Instagram filter, but there you have it. Like I said, I don't know if the wood itself is special or different. My role in it was just the idea of using the unique herringbone pattern to do something recognizable for Brooklyn, something in the vain of Boston's parquet. A signature element that links back to and eventually (hopefully) becomes an integral part of their brand. It would be great if this was a catalyst for more teams to do unique things with the construction (not just the decoration) of their courts.

The actual inspiration came when I was thinking of Brooklyn as a 'roots' sort of place for basketball. Thinking of the identity as being bare and tough, back in the early days basketball was played wherever it could be played, in ballrooms, dance halls, you name it. I thought it would be neat if the court felt like that in a way. I'm really glad that it seems to have come out nicely.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived