Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

'Bout time. I'd still like to see some clear photos of it without the Instagram filter, but there you have it. Like I said, I don't know if the wood itself is special or different. My role in it was just the idea of using the unique herringbone pattern to do something recognizable for Brooklyn, something in the vain of Boston's parquet. A signature element that links back to and eventually (hopefully) becomes an integral part of their brand. It would be great if this was a catalyst for more teams to do unique things with the construction (not just the decoration) of their courts.

You must've JUST updated your post, because it said "the NBA's first herringbone," but I thought the Raptors had herringbone at the SkyDome.

Either way, good idea, I'm glad you suggested it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Bout time. I'd still like to see some clear photos of it without the Instagram filter, but there you have it. Like I said, I don't know if the wood itself is special or different. My role in it was just the idea of using the unique herringbone pattern to do something recognizable for Brooklyn, something in the vain of Boston's parquet. A signature element that links back to and eventually (hopefully) becomes an integral part of their brand. It would be great if this was a catalyst for more teams to do unique things with the construction (not just the decoration) of their courts.

You must've JUST updated your post, because it said "the NBA's first herringbone," but I thought the Raptors had herringbone at the SkyDome.

I haven't found a great image yet, but it looks like you might be right. Either way, didn't want to be caught in a fib. :grin: Sucks that it's not the first one. Crushing my dreams. I feel like it's less original now, but at least it's unique in the current landscape of the league.

EDIT: Here's an image of it. Looks like it was a bit lighter in color, and maybe wider columns as well?

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I haven't found a great image yet, but it looks like you might be right. Either way, didn't want to be caught in a fib. :grin: Sucks that it's not the first one. Crushing my dreams. I feel like it's less original now, but at least it's unique in the current landscape of the league.

EDIT: Here's an image of it. Looks like it was a bit lighter in color, and maybe wider columns as well?

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

That Raptors court doesn't count because it is ruined by the paint inside the 3 line! I had almost forgotten how awful the 90s were for the NBA (pastel colors replacing tradition, pajamas with hockey crests, gaudy painted courts, and jordon jocking NBaC.)

All jokes aside - the paint job makes the Toronto version a forgettable, jumbled mess. Whereas the same concept (so far as we can see at this point) appears to work beautifully in a more traditional overall design. Great job!

565920479_f8f31faed9.jpg

My goodness...the footprints crossing the court...seriously, those court designs were just embarrassing. And the herringbone looks AWFUL in the Toronto lane. Like it's a corduroy cutout.

I always said that paint job between the 3 and the key would only be interesting if University of Miami did it to approximate their "U" logo in green/orange.

The pattern is in such a different, more appropriate, context in Brooklyn that it seems like an entirely different concept.

Here's an article on the court from the NY Post

Gimme a B!

Nets officials yesterday gave The Post an exclusive first look at the team?s new basketball court at Barclays Center, boasting it includes a ?one-of-a-kind? herringbone pattern of wood panels that stands out above anything hoop fans have ever seen.

?We wanted a court that was identifiable and different, so that when fans turn on the TV at home they?ll realize they are in Brooklyn,? crowed Nets/Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark. ?This court does exactly that.?

Yormark also said there?s a ?bold, dark, gritty feeling? to the court that ?blends nicely with the entire motif? of the 18,200-seat arena.

?It?s is our version of the [boston Celtics] parquet floors,? he said.

At center court is the Nets? circular, black-and-white logo with the iconic ?B? inside, surrounded by the words ?Brooklyn New York.? The logo is flanked on two sides by the ?Barclays Center? name in powder-blue lettering.

The court, which was laid out over a four-hour period Sunday night, consists of 240, four-foot by seven-foot Hardwood Maple panels weighing 185 pounds each. The panels create V-shaped patterns through a herringbone design.

The design, fashioned by Yormark and the club?s marketing team, had to pass strict NBA testing to ensure it doesn?t look blurry on television.

Both baselines are black with ?Brooklyn Nets? boldly spelled out in white lettering. To further promote the team?s new brand, the @BROOKLYNNETS Twitter name is spread along a black-colored out-of-bounds area by the visitor?s bench while the team?s web address is spelled in the same white lettering by the home club?s bench.

The Nets get to take their first shots at Barclays Center Oct. 15 in an exhibition game against the Wizards. Their first regular-season test at the new digs comes Nov. 1 against the Knicks.

The court, produced by Connor Sports Flooring Manufacturing Mill in Amasa, Mich., also is the NBA?s first with black-colored keys (free throw lines), Yormark said.

Below the court and currently out of site is an ice hockey rink installed last week. The Islanders and Devils on Oct. 2 are scheduled to play an exhibition game at Barclays Center ? provided there is no NHL lockout.

Area officials are trying to convince the Islanders to move to Brooklyn when the team?s lease with Nassau Coliseum ends in 2015.

The Nets? previous basketball court at Prudential Center in Newark has been removed. It will be repainted ? the old New Jersey Nets logo wiped away ? and re-used for college games at Barclays Center.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets/new_court_shines_in_klyn_u0wkfOhYmrKNkTsh4altgO#ixzz26A8iICqW

lolwutpear, seinfeldleaving, other various images of incredulity

You'd be surprised how many people in NYC already know what the 'B' by itself stands for. Not to mention the sheer volume of people wearing the logo and serving as mobile billboards.

I would say its cultural proliferation has been a success, even with all the lolgenericlogo comments on here.

lolwutpear, seinfeldleaving, other various images of incredulity

You'd be surprised how many people in NYC already know what the 'B' by itself stands for. Not to mention the sheer volume of people wearing the logo and serving as mobile billboards.

I would say its cultural proliferation has been a success, even with all the lolgenericlogo comments on here.

yea, i guess if you give something mundane-looking enough exposure, people eventually understand it as "iconic". sad, but true.

as for the herringbone, i enjoy it. it does have a nice "ballroom floor" feel to it, which is a nice tie-in to the era which the logotype was inspired by (too bad it wasn't executed correctly!).

The Nets have a gallery on their site.

court-photo-008.jpg

Brett Yormark Debuts Brooklyn Nets' Home Court

By Ben Couch

Monday afternoon, Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark took a basketball, stepped underneath a strip of yellow caution tape and laid down a dribble upon the herringbone-patterned court at Barclays Center. Moments later, he was sinking a layup and -- egged on by arena construction workers -- shedding his jacket and swishing jumpers.

After eight years of envisioning the moment, Yormark had finally stepped foot on the Barclays Center hardwood.

"It's surreal to think that the court's down, that the building's almost completed," Yormark said. "It's been a long journey, but I think you can fairly say it's well worth the wait. I think Brooklynites, all our key stakeholders, owners, management, all of our employees are really going to be pleased when they see the court and the finished product here. It's spectacular."

Designed by the Brooklyn Nets' creative team and produced at Connor Sports Flooring Manufacturing Mill in Amasa, Mich., the court will officially debut November 1, when the Nets open the season against the Knicks. It consists of 240 panels each measuring 4-feet wide, 7-feet long and 185 pounds; they took two weeks to construct, utilizing specialized milled lumber. The court takes four hours to assemble.

The team's performance logo, a basketball emblazoned with a 'B' and encircled by "Brooklyn, New York" appears at center court, and the area in front of the home bench is stamped with "BROOKLYNNETS.COM" to direct viewers to the team Web site; on the away side, it reads "@BROOKLYNNETS", a reference to the official Twitter account.

"The vision all along was to have something that was truly identifiable and unique and when people turned on their TVs at home, know they were in Brooklyn," Yormark said. "When you turn on the TV and you turn on a Celtics game and you look at that court, it's a parquet that has become very recognizable. We want this to be the same -- it's our version of the parquet. I think it truly delivered against all of our expectations."

That looks AWESOME.

Kudos Andrew for bringing that idea to the table. Truly brilliant idea and the execution came out fantastically. I love it.

They've done almost everything correct with the rebrand, I can't help but think Steve Jobs would've been a big fan of it. Simplicity, consistency and detail.

Now that we do have clear pictures, it does look much better. I just wish that the "pinstriping effect" wasn't so heavy near the top, and pretty non-existant in the bottom. Even that out, and wow, it becomes one of the better courts in the league.

I will add, it does have that "old gym, pretty much a barn with goals" feel to it.

Isn't that the shadow from the jumbotron?

I love the herringbone, but hate the color scheme, the "Brooklynettes" name, the "Brooklyn New York" de facto primary, and the "iconic B" that someone made by typing the letter B. 5/10

Also, good to see both Yormarks look like they'd silently kill you in your sleep.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Now that we do have clear pictures, it does look much better. I just wish that the "pinstriping effect" wasn't so heavy near the top, and pretty non-existant in the bottom. Even that out, and wow, it becomes one of the better courts in the league.

I will add, it does have that "old gym, pretty much a barn with goals" feel to it.

I see that, too. Due to the irregularity of wood, the relative color of certain columns compared to others is probably one of those things that you can't really see until it's already put together and you take a look at it from the cheap seats.

Funny coincidence reading these articles, this last paragraph is almost word for word how I pitched the idea to our design team when I first thought of it:

"The vision all along was to have something that was truly identifiable and unique and when people turned on their TVs at home, know they were in Brooklyn," Yormark said. "When you turn on the TV and you turn on a Celtics game and you look at that court, it's a parquet that has become very recognizable. We want this to be the same -- it's our version of the parquet..."

I wish at least some of the credit was going to adidas instead of all the articles saying, "Designed by Yormark and the Nets' creative/marketing team." Technically, they produced the specifications for the contractor as to what it should look like, so they did design it, but it's sort of misleading. The original idea still came from the body of work done at adidas, and I wish it was publicized as such. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I see that, too. Due to the irregularity of wood, the relative color of certain columns compared to others is probably one of those things that you can't really see until it's already put together and you take a look at it from the cheap seats.

I wish at least some of the credit was going to the right place (adidas) instead of all the articles saying, "Designed by Yormark and the Nets' creative/marketing team." Technically, I guess that means they produced the specifications for the contractor as to what it should look like, so they did design it, but it's sort of misleading. The original idea still came from the body of work done at adidas, and I wish it was publicized as such. Oh well. You can't win 'em all.

That does kind of suck.

I can also see it from the media/PR people's point of view though, where I guess it would sound a little weird to people if they wrote Adidas designed the court?

Archived