Sean Payton suspended for 2012, Tebow a Jet

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul.png?t=1335979464

Leonard Little got 8 games for killing someone.

He didn't even miss a game for DWI #2.

No I don't miss Tags.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Uh... damn.

The NFL suspended four players for their roles in the New Orleans Saints' bounty system, including linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the entire 2012 season.

In addition to Vilma, defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) was suspended eight games, defensive Will Smith four games and linebacker Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) three games.

Honestly, this could've been MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. Our biggest loss is Vilma but two of our big pickups in the offseason was Curtis Loftin and David Hawthorne on the defensive side. I was thinking maybe a couple of players suspended for a game or two but this is much more manageable.

Considering how bad the years been for the Saints so far, I actually consider this a RELIEF.

GR30a5H.png

I was listening to fingernails on a chalk board driving home tonight (AKA Rob Dibble and whatever idiot lady is on with him) and they were going after Goodell. Complaining that all hits were legal and Vilma wasn't suspended at the time.

They completely missed the point of why Sean Peyton and Jon Vilma were suspended for a year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No problems with Goodell either. I'm not saying this as a Jets fan (okay, maybe I am) but I wish he had come down harder on Belichick for Spygate. In fact, I'm kinda stunned he got the "david Stern treatment" at the draft last week. I thought he was more 'over' with the fans.

6uXNWAo.png

My main problem with the punishments for all involved is 1) where's the evidence and 2) that they're probably double what they'd have been in the pre-lawsuit days. You know, now that player safety is such a priority. Let's face it, it hasn't been for most of the NFL's existence and still wouldn't be if not for the lawsuits.

Still, where were the denials from Will Smith and Vilma when this all started? That's the piece I don't get.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Nonsense.

Tagliabue negotiated a labor contract that the owners couldn't wait to get out of. Arrests are down dramatically since Goodell took over. His personal-conduct policies have worked. After years of pretending that brain injuries didn't exist, the NFL is now aggressively targeting player safety (over the silly objections of those same players, unfortunately). Killing the utterly-pointless Pro Bowl, even though it continues to make the NFL money, is the latest in a series of smart moves from this very good Commissioner.

Perfect? No. But very good, worlds better than the man who proceeded him.

Players like to whinge about him, but Goodell's been very good for his sport.

Goodell fancies himself judge, jury, and executioner, goes soft on certain teams and players while completely eviscerating others, and has tried to legislate defense out of the game completely. Sure, he's taken action on head trauma, but he refuses to acknowledge that most of it comes not from the big hits that he levies fines for, but from normal play at the line of scrimmage. The effect is of someone desperately trying to avoid lawsuits, rather than trying to figure out a smart, lasting solution. I'm obviously for player safety, but if basic facts are still being denied, then what's the point of the NFL's "solution"?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Honestly, in years to come, Goodell will be regarded as one of the best commissioners. Players rag on him for being heavy handed, but honestly, he's met every challenge to football head on, and pretty much done everything he needed to. He's protected player health, he's confronted those who challenge his authority, he's looked to expand the appeal of the game internationally, without challenging its Americanness. I think over the Saints, he's acted in a tough way without going overboard in a way that the NCAA probably would. In some ways its the kind of punishment that might straighten out a few miscreant franchises.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Goodell fancies himself judge, jury, and executioner, goes soft on certain teams and players while completely eviscerating others, and has tried to legislate defense out of the game completely. Sure, he's taken action on head trauma, but he refuses to acknowledge that most of it comes not from the big hits that he levies fines for, but from normal play at the line of scrimmage. The effect is of someone desperately trying to avoid lawsuits, rather than trying to figure out a smart, lasting solution. I'm obviously for player safety, but if basic facts are still being denied, then what's the point of the NFL's "solution"?

You kind of have to be if you are really serious about changing things and instilling your vision. You can't have one committee making rules, another determining punishments, because at the end of the day if you want something done a certain way, you have to do it yourself.

He has not legislated defense out of the game - he's legislating illegal / risky / unnecessary defense out of the game. While I agree that more needs to be done here (i.e. tell the refs not to just automatically throw a flag every time a qb gets brushed and they're not sure - let post-game replays determine fines / suspensions, but only call a penalty if you are 100% sure) I don't see any reason that a good football player can't still play defense within the constraints of the rules. I'd argue that any player who is complaining about the rules (not complaining about the referees - I totally get that) is really not a good player and needs to cheat in order to stay around.

I don't want to go as far as to say that he's a model, but he's accomplished an awful lot in a pretty short time in his position. When the thing that gets mentioned least is a 10-year deal with your biggest union, that's saying something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1) They have Vilma on tape offering bounties.

2) Who really cares? It's not particularly relevant if the League is highlighting player safety for their own selfish reasons, only that they are.

1) Really? Where is this tape? While we're at it, where's any mention of bounties in Gregg Williams' tirade prior to the 49ers game? I'm not excusing what he DID say, which was unforgivable, but aside from the "I've got the first one" comment while supposedly making a money gesture (apparently referring to a fine), how is it that this damning tape has no mention of bounties at all?

2) Anyone who finds hypocrisy distasteful cares.

Honestly, in years to come, Goodell will be regarded as one of the best commissioners.

Indeed. He's the first Commissioner to realize that head trauma does indeed exist, and his fines and punishments have actual teeth to them.

Like rams pointed out Leonard Little got a whopping 8 game suspension from Tagliabue for actually killing someone. That's disgraceful. Whine about Goodell being "judge, jury, and executioner" all you want, at least he's reigning dangerous, life threatening, and embarrassing player behaviour in, on and off the field.

Come on now. I don't care WHY Goodell is trying to make the game safer. Only that he IS making the game safer.

Nonsense.

Tagliabue negotiated a labor contract that the owners couldn't wait to get out of. Arrests are down dramatically since Goodell took over. His personal-conduct policies have worked. After years of pretending that brain injuries didn't exist, the NFL is now aggressively targeting player safety (over the silly objections of those same players, unfortunately). Killing the utterly-pointless Pro Bowl, even though it continues to make the NFL money, is the latest in a series of smart moves from this very good Commissioner.

Perfect? No. But very good, worlds better than the man who proceeded him.

Players like to whinge about him, but Goodell's been very good for his sport.

Goodell's been very good, but Tags was good in his primary objective - maximizing revenues for the owners.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Honestly, in years to come, Goodell will be regarded as one of the best commissioners.

Indeed. He's the first Commissioner to realize that head trauma does indeed exist, and his fines and punishments have actual teeth to them.

Like rams pointed out Leonard Little got a whopping 8 game suspension from Tagliabue for actually killing someone. That's disgraceful. Whine about Goodell being "judge, jury, and executioner" all you want, at least he's reigning dangerous, life threatening, and embarrassing player behaviour in, on and off the field.

Come on now. I don't care WHY Goodell is trying to make the game safer. Only that he IS making the game safer.

Pointing out that one person cannot possibly fairly administer appeals against punishment that person issued is not whining, it's a legitimate point. Any appeal fails before it's filed unless it's heard by an impartial third party. With that said, the players have no one to blame but themseleves because they agreed to Goodell's omnipotence in the bargaining agreement.

Archived