capn89's NHL (03/27/2015 - Flames Stuffffff)

capn89

A word or two on the Sharks.

I really dig the fin like stripes on the arms, though not as much on the back. I'd have to see a more 3-D model to get a better sense of how they'd look, but I like the subtleness in that design. As for the away jerseys, the only thing I'd change is have the names in teal instead of black. Teal is a unique color in professional sports and teal hockey is always going to make people think of the Sharks. San Jose should embrace the teal and that would be a small touch to rectify that.

The alternate though is something I'm not feeling much at all. It reminds me too much of the Isles black jerseys, which were just too weird, since it didn't seem like they knew what they were doing with it, with the text and introduction of black. If San Jose is going to have a text based 3rd, I'd much rather see it on a grey alternate, like Worcester does, since everyone loves the silver so much more than the orange. I have a soft spot for the more modern "98-07" design since it's what I grew up with and I really like how you brought it back since San Jose isn't a classic team and doesn't have to have the more traditional arm stripes that many older teams do.

Overall on every team, I think you're in B+ territory and look forward to the future works. Great job.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couples new ones. Columbus is from a while ago just never posted it here and the Islanders I finished up last night.

Home & Away: Going through my past designs for the Blue Jackets I found little desire to try to modernize the one basic look I ever had for them. It was dated, weak and not really a direction I wanted to go. I decided, instead, to build on a touch of the Blue Jackets' past as well as big chunk of their current look. I basically took the design of their current home and away jerseys and added a hem stripe that plays off of the design of the shoulder striping to give the jersey a more complete feel. As well I took their inaugural "CBJ" logo, recolored it and put it on the shoulders. The logo also acts as the primary crest on the alternate jersey. To pay homage to Columbus', albeit limited, past, the shoulder and hem stripes (the blue, particularly) use a faint pattern of two different shades of blue stripes running throughout them. The original Blue Jackets jerseys (both the home and away) featured this effect. I also eliminated the red hockey pants. I've never liked the look in any of the iterations of the franchise's uniforms and I tried it with mine and felt blue was more aesthetically pleasing. Finally, the Blue Jackets NOB font stays the same but the numerals have been switched. The current Blue Jackets number font is one of the more loathed fonts in the NHL.

Alternate: For the alternate, I REALLY wanted to present the jersey you see in the final set as a primarily red uniform, but for a team called the BLUE Jackets I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have, however, mocked it up in my own files and will, in the future, share it.

8429797005_f8855da54c_b.jpg

I would buy every one of these jerseys.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Far as logos that were victims of either horrendous teams or poorly-thought out jerseys, the Isles lighthouse ranks up there with the angry King and the Germanic Brewers. The main design for the Isles has a nice flow to it, something that sadly seems lacking in their current blues, at least. Might just be me, but the striping seems to give off at least a hint or two of Fishsticks inspiration. Far as the orange goes, I've seen recolored throwbacks as a base design for alts, in both concept and real life form, and this is one of the better ones. The alt crest is damn good.

Far as the Blue Jackets go, I'd never liked the old CBJ crest, I'd long felt there was way too much going on with it, but what a difference a recolor makes. Maybe you could've worked in the two-tone blue stripes into the alt's body, but that's just a tiny nitpick.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I love the modern design of NYI. I'm not sure it fits such a classic franchise, but it's a good modern look that's not overdone like so many other concepts.

I have no problems with the Islanders current look so much, but I wanted to take it in a direction that was modern but, as you said, not overdone. As Discrimihater mentioned, there is a slight homage to the fisherman logo jerseys in the style. Thanks for the reply.

If the Isles were to modernize their look, this would be the right route to go. Love the anchor logo too.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the comments.

A word or two on the Sharks.

I really dig the fin like stripes on the arms, though not as much on the back. I'd have to see a more 3-D model to get a better sense of how they'd look, but I like the subtleness in that design. As for the away jerseys, the only thing I'd change is have the names in teal instead of black. Teal is a unique color in professional sports and teal hockey is always going to make people think of the Sharks. San Jose should embrace the teal and that would be a small touch to rectify that.

The alternate though is something I'm not feeling much at all. It reminds me too much of the Isles black jerseys, which were just too weird, since it didn't seem like they knew what they were doing with it, with the text and introduction of black. If San Jose is going to have a text based 3rd, I'd much rather see it on a grey alternate, like Worcester does, since everyone loves the silver so much more than the orange. I have a soft spot for the more modern "98-07" design since it's what I grew up with and I really like how you brought it back since San Jose isn't a classic team and doesn't have to have the more traditional arm stripes that many older teams do.

Overall on every team, I think you're in B+ territory and look forward to the future works. Great job.

Thanks a lot for the long reply. Any of these jerseys (not just the Sharks) would be great to see on a 3D model, I'd love to be able to do that at some point. As for the alternate, it's something I will give a whirl in silver and, perhaps, readdress completely either at some point or the next go around when I touch up or change things that weren't a big hit. I'm with you on the 98-07 Sharks jerseys, they were one of absolute favorite sets not just of the era, but all time. Such a great modern look.

As much as I like the modernized Islanders logo, it still feels quite unbalanced. You may want to work the letters a bit and see what works. Really enjoying this series!

I actually went through several iterations of the "NY" lettering in the alternate logo before settling on what you see. At one point I tried a backwards slated "Y" which just looked ridiculous. That's something I'll play around with more. Thanks for your thoughts.

(Columbus Blue Jackets image removed)

I would buy every one of these jerseys.

So would I... and I am actually working on it. Keep your fingers crossed for me. ;)

Far as logos that were victims of either horrendous teams or poorly-thought out jerseys, the Isles lighthouse ranks up there with the angry King and the Germanic Brewers. The main design for the Isles has a nice flow to it, something that sadly seems lacking in their current blues, at least. Might just be me, but the striping seems to give off at least a hint or two of Fishsticks inspiration. Far as the orange goes, I've seen recolored throwbacks as a base design for alts, in both concept and real life form, and this is one of the better ones. The alt crest is damn good.

Far as the Blue Jackets go, I'd never liked the old CBJ crest, I'd long felt there was way too much going on with it, but what a difference a recolor makes. Maybe you could've worked in the two-tone blue stripes into the alt's body, but that's just a tiny nitpick.

You're not kidding, the Islanders lighthouse logo is something they really should still be using, but since it was part of such a dastardly color and stripe-**** it will probably forever remain as a distant memory of a sparkling diamond in a mountain of poopie doo. You are not alone in your sense of the primary jerseys having a "fishstick feel" to them, there was intent there. Thanks for the thought out and detailed reply. :)

Home & Away: Since the Hurricanes recently revealed their new uniforms to less-than-spectacular fanfare, I decided to try to stick with elements of their latest threads and put, what I feel, is a better spin on it. To start, I actually liked the look of the white away jersey, but it does leave something a little "Hurricane-esque" to be desired. I made a home uniform based off of the white and both jerseys feature the warning flag logo on the shoulders as well as what I like to call a "subtle homage" to the warning flag stripe that used to adorn Carolina's jerseys. The pattern also appears on the socks. The subtlety of it keeps the Hurricanes both more traditional yet unique. Also, other tweaks involve the removal of silver and an adjustment to the primary logo. Anyone who's ever taken a look at the Hurricane's logo would notice that the eye/puck in the middle seemed to be upside down. That is rectified by simply rotating the logo 180 degrees and swapping the black and red.

Alternate: For this jersey I wanted to use the warning flag logo's angle as inspiration for the jersey's striping. The hem stripe follows the line of the primary logo while the sleeves and pants feature angular designs.

9109512673_426c09461c_o.png

Home & Away: For this set I decided to go with a full-on "eff you traditional NHL" Carolina Hurricane's-esque look. Like the last set, silver is still dropped, but black plays a more prominent role in all three uniforms.

Alternate: The alternate jersey in this set is very similar to the alternate in the first set, save for the stripes being altered a bit, as well as the entire uniform being primarily black.

9109357181_5a29a4f79c_o.png

• 3 weeks later...

That Canes logo doesnt need to be flipped ok?

I do like the two tone warning flag stripe. If they had just made it more subtle that would have been nice. Instead they got rid of it completely which is quite the bummer.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• 1 month later...

Minnesota Wild.

These are posted on my blog a while ago but what better time to post here since Minnesota recently revealed a brand new away jersey.

Home & Away: I've always been a big fan of the Minnesota Wild's inaugural jerseys. The green on green, the unique (at the time) striping and the overall aesthetic of those two uniforms was great. However, since the point of this series is to not repeat what has been done before but to create something new, I wanted to take that look and create something more cohesive while paying homage to that design. The Wild had such unique striping leading into their collar that I wanted to bring that back in the use of a traditional yoke rather than full-length sleeve stripes.

Alternate: This uniform features the "Minnesota" script (slightly altered) on a primarily red jersey as opposed to the green jersey it is currently used on. The pants remain the same from the base set, but the alternate is accompanied by a different set of gloves to tie into the overall uniformity.

9183824725_02057e90c7_o.png

Phoenix Coyotes

Home & Away: When the Coyotes switched from their unique uniform design several years ago I initially did not like the look, but it's grown on me to the point where it is now one of my favorites. Unfortunately when Reebok took over producing the jerseys they completely eliminated stripes from the bottom of the jerseys and created something slightly boring. While I could have just reproduced those uniforms, I wanted to change things completely. The design is something entirely new and never seen before for the Coyotes. The brink-on-white palette remains, but the pattern is completely different. Usually I don't like using two different logos on the shoulders but I wanted to use the "PHX" flag logo on one shoulder while placing the moon logo on the other so that it appears as if the primary coyote logo is howling up toward it. It is subtle, but there was intent.

Alternate: With this uniform I allowed myself to be inspired by Phoenix's original jerseys and come up with a motif that aimed to pay homage to the American southwest. This uniform eliminates white completely while introducing both black and sand into the color-scheme.

9186044796_c6408b7682_o.png

Toronto Maple Leafs

Home & Away: The primary uniforms in this set are basically a mash-up of different styles the Maple Leafs have worn over their history. First seen in 1927 (only on the blue jersey), the striping pattern on the sleeves and hem have been cut in half from 4 and 2, respectively, down to 2 sets of stripes on the sleeves and 1 set on the hem. Back in that era the Leafs wore white socks and tan/leather hockey pants. For the sake of keeping with a more modernly cohesive look, each jersey has matching socks and blue pants with white stripes on either side as well as a small leaf logo on the right leg.

Alternate: This uniform was a lot of fun to put together. It throws back to the 1919 Toronto St. Pats. The original uniforms were green and white, but these have been updated to match the Leafs' blue. Also, the original jerseys featured a "TORONTO ST. PATS" script on the front which I have replaced with an alternate Leafs' logo. The numbers on the back, while smaller than what today's jerseys generally use, are meant to fit within the white stripe and stick with the tradition of the St. Pats' jersey. The original also did not include names on the back or sleeve numbers which I have, in my rendition, included.

9246880535_87984dc5b7_o.png

Loving both sets, but personally I'm a bigger fan of the set with more black. There's really just too much of a Red Wings vibe without it.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

This is one of the better Canes concepts I've seen here. Really solid all around. What I'd like to see is if you could place more of an emphasis on grey and relegate black to accents.

I will give the grey/silver idea a shot on the next go around. It might look good, but I am not sure if I can think of a time when red and silver worked well as two primary colors. Doesn't mean it's not worth a shot, though. Thanks a lot for the feedback. :)

That Canes logo doesnt need to be flipped ok?

I do like the two tone warning flag stripe. If they had just made it more subtle that would have been nice. Instead they got rid of it completely which is quite the bummer.

Yeah, I always loved the warning flag design and it is a bit of a loss that it is gone. Similarly I miss how unique the Coyotes used to be with their primary jerseys. With some cleaning up they could have had a classy, yet unique, look. Thanks for your thoughts.

Canes top set! Love the subdued squares... and the fact that arms and belly match.

Uniformity; such an interesting thing to have in... a uniform. :P Some of the designers that have done work on NHL teams could learn a lot by simply picking up a dictionary. Thank you for your thoughts.

The 'Yotes' and Leafs' alts are fantastic.

I don't know if numbers are required to be a certain size, but if the back numbers HAD TO BE bigger on the Leafs' alts, you could throw a real thick, white keyline around them and run 'em down into the blue.

Nice job as always, capn.

The 'Yotes' and Leafs' alts are fantastic.

I don't know if numbers are required to be a certain size, but if the back numbers HAD TO BE bigger on the Leafs' alts, you could throw a real thick, white keyline around them and run 'em down into the blue.

Nice job as always, capn.

You know, I never really took into consideration whether the numbers on the back of the Leafs alt would need to be a certain size. I would wonder if there was a rule if they would bypass it since it is an alternate. Nevertheless, thank you very much for the comments. :)

Leafs: looks too much like the Lightning :P in all seriousness though, the Leafs set is probably my favorite of these three, seeing as the blue is basically a modernized version of one of my personal favorites, and the whites are basically the blues with the old throwback's yoke. Honestly, I hadn't ever considered using any of the St. Pats' sweaters as a base for a Leafs third, but it works here, even the smaller numbers. Even though I can't remember how tall numbers have to be nowadays (IIRC 10 or 12"), I'll use the Habs as an example (using the Rangers wouldn't be noticeable enough, and the only other good comparison is the mid 30s/Winter Classic Blackhawks sweater)...courtesy of nhluniforms.com, first is the mid 20s, second is current.

Canadiens06.png

Canadiens60.png

Wild: Simply an overall solid set, the main thing I know is I like it. Not completely sold on the third's lettering font, but I'm nitpicking there.

Coyotes: I'm still not a huge fan of the current set, but that said, this set as a whole is basically overshadowed by the Leafs and Wild each simply being more awesome here. First time in a while I've said this about somebody else's work, but these things happenTM. :D As long as the alt's making me think of the Roenick-era set, maybe it would've been cool to see the old coyote make an appearance somewhere. I'm not a fan of the number font, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I love that Yotes alternate!

Thank you very much. :)

Leafs: looks too much like the Lightning :P in all seriousness though, the Leafs set is probably my favorite of these three, seeing as the blue is basically a modernized version of one of my personal favorites, and the whites are basically the blues with the old throwback's yoke. Honestly, I hadn't ever considered using any of the St. Pats' sweaters as a base for a Leafs third, but it works here, even the smaller numbers. Even though I can't remember how tall numbers have to be nowadays (IIRC 10 or 12"), I'll use the Habs as an example (using the Rangers wouldn't be noticeable enough, and the only other good comparison is the mid 30s/Winter Classic Blackhawks sweater)...courtesy of nhluniforms.com, first is the mid 20s, second is current.

Wild: Simply an overall solid set, the main thing I know is I like it. Not completely sold on the third's lettering font, but I'm nitpicking there.

Coyotes: I'm still not a huge fan of the current set, but that said, this set as a whole is basically overshadowed by the Leafs and Wild each simply being more awesome here. First time in a while I've said this about somebody else's work, but these things happenTM. :D As long as the alt's making me think of the Roenick-era set, maybe it would've been cool to see the old coyote make an appearance somewhere. I'm not a fan of the number font, though.

I too was quite pleased with how the Leafs entire set turned out. They'r easily the best Leafs jerseys I have ever done, and you remember a lot of my older work from back in the Depot days I am sure. The alternate is something I think would be incredible for them to have in their real set. It is different enough that it's can't be mistaken for their home (or away) jersey like alternates they have had in the past.

You know, for the Wild I had gone with a block font to begin with but I felt like I wanted to have somenthing curvy to play off of the style of the yoke. I may go back and give the numbers another whirl at some point.

It's funny how much the alternate for the Coyotes has made people think of the older Roenick-era jerseys because the original version of this jersey (back in the Depot days) was based about those jerseys. In fact this jersey orginally featured that unique motif they donned on their original home/away jerseys but I removed it as I wanted something more simplified.

As always, that's a lot for the long, detailed reply. :D

Archived