capn89's NHL (03/27/2015 - Flames Stuffffff)

capn89

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnesota Wild.

These are posted on my blog a while ago but what better time to post here since Minnesota recently revealed a brand new away jersey.

Home & Away: I've always been a big fan of the Minnesota Wild's inaugural jerseys. The green on green, the unique (at the time) striping and the overall aesthetic of those two uniforms was great. However, since the point of this series is to not repeat what has been done before but to create something new, I wanted to take that look and create something more cohesive while paying homage to that design. The Wild had such unique striping leading into their collar that I wanted to bring that back in the use of a traditional yoke rather than full-length sleeve stripes.

Alternate: This uniform features the "Minnesota" script (slightly altered) on a primarily red jersey as opposed to the green jersey it is currently used on. The pants remain the same from the base set, but the alternate is accompanied by a different set of gloves to tie into the overall uniformity.

9183824725_02057e90c7_o.png

Phoenix Coyotes

Home & Away: When the Coyotes switched from their unique uniform design several years ago I initially did not like the look, but it's grown on me to the point where it is now one of my favorites. Unfortunately when Reebok took over producing the jerseys they completely eliminated stripes from the bottom of the jerseys and created something slightly boring. While I could have just reproduced those uniforms, I wanted to change things completely. The design is something entirely new and never seen before for the Coyotes. The brink-on-white palette remains, but the pattern is completely different. Usually I don't like using two different logos on the shoulders but I wanted to use the "PHX" flag logo on one shoulder while placing the moon logo on the other so that it appears as if the primary coyote logo is howling up toward it. It is subtle, but there was intent.

Alternate: With this uniform I allowed myself to be inspired by Phoenix's original jerseys and come up with a motif that aimed to pay homage to the American southwest. This uniform eliminates white completely while introducing both black and sand into the color-scheme.

9186044796_c6408b7682_o.png

Toronto Maple Leafs

Home & Away: The primary uniforms in this set are basically a mash-up of different styles the Maple Leafs have worn over their history. First seen in 1927 (only on the blue jersey), the striping pattern on the sleeves and hem have been cut in half from 4 and 2, respectively, down to 2 sets of stripes on the sleeves and 1 set on the hem. Back in that era the Leafs wore white socks and tan/leather hockey pants. For the sake of keeping with a more modernly cohesive look, each jersey has matching socks and blue pants with white stripes on either side as well as a small leaf logo on the right leg.

Alternate: This uniform was a lot of fun to put together. It throws back to the 1919 Toronto St. Pats. The original uniforms were green and white, but these have been updated to match the Leafs' blue. Also, the original jerseys featured a "TORONTO ST. PATS" script on the front which I have replaced with an alternate Leafs' logo. The numbers on the back, while smaller than what today's jerseys generally use, are meant to fit within the white stripe and stick with the tradition of the St. Pats' jersey. The original also did not include names on the back or sleeve numbers which I have, in my rendition, included.

9246880535_87984dc5b7_o.png

Digging the Leafs 3rd. Nice Job!

I'm working on two sets for the Edmonton Oilers but I cannot decide what color numbers to use for the road white jersey. Thoughts?

11980302465_7f735082ff_o.png

I think the blue looks better.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Digging the Leafs 3rd. Nice Job!

Thanks a lot. I have a white or inverted version of the uniform I will post eventually. For now I am working to post full sets for all 30 teams, the fun one-offs and such will come after this is complete.

I think the blue looks better.

Ok, thank you. :)

The first one is definitely better, glad to see you're back to posting concepts, capn!

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've got three sets for the Ottawa Senators and one for the Edmonton Oilers. As always, if you check out my blog you get access to designs and concepts before I post them here. You can also rate them. I have the NY Rangers up as my most recent post, but over the weekend and halfway through next week I will be posting the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary Flames.

Senators set 1:

Home, Away & Alternate: Since these uniforms are all the same template I won't bother giving the alternate jersey it's own area of discussion. These are simply an old design of mine that I transferred onto my newer template. I have always been a fan of the old-school, original Ottawa Senators (from 1917-31) barber pole jerseys and I wanted to bring that back to life in a modern, more feasible style. So, on each jersey the arm numbers are actually placed on different areas of the arm as to avoid the white numerals overlapping onto a white stripe. Each jersey features the "O" on stripes logo as a primary crest with the Peace Tower w/red maple leaf on the shoulders. The pants feature a custom "O" logo where the stripes are actually within the "O" itself.

9693256222_461215124e_o.png

Senators set 2:

Home & Away: The primary jerseys carry over the barber pole style from the previous uniforms I posted, but in a style that cleans up the issues with the arm numerals; they now rest between two sets of stripes as opposed to actually on top of them. As well, the primary logo is no longer the rectangular crest with the "O" on top of stripes, but the stripes have, in fact, been freed and now wrap all the way around the torso. The shoulder and pant logos remain the same.

Alternate: The alternate jersey with this set strays away from simply recoloring the primary jerseys and brings the 2D centurion logo into the mix, as well as adding gold to the color scheme. The gold striping features a laurel design to match that within the primary crest. The shoulder logo is the "S" within a winged-circle. Each shoulder is unique as to keep the wings pointing toward the back of the jersey. The pants change from black with a red stripe to black with a gold stripe and now feature the Peace Tower & red maple leaf logo seen on the shoulders of the primary jerseys.

9693256190_071f8de576_o.png

Senators set 3:

Home & Away: The primary uniforms are the most streamlined in these three uniform sets. They carry over the design from part 2 while removing the wraparound chest stripe, returning to the "O" over stripes logo, and thinning out all of the remaining striping. The shoulder and pant logos still remain the same.

Alternate: Probably my favorite uniform of the nine in these three sets, the alternate jersey pays homage to several eras of the modern Ottawa Senators history. The jersey itself is a modernization of their inaugural (1992-93) jerseys only with the primary color being switched to red, which, in ways, harkens to their 1997 alternate jersey. If you look closely at the sleeve striping (and socks) the jerseys also feature a subtle laurel design to pay tribute to their 2000 alternate jersey. I used the Peace Tower w/red maple leaf logo as the primary crest while moving the "O" over stripes logo to the shoulders. The pants, a completely unique design to the series, still feature the custom "O" with the stripes inside logo.

9690018841_153c634c96_o.png

Edmonton Oilers:

Home & Away: As has been the case with this series, I am trying to make every jersey for each team different from what they actually wear. Perhaps in the future I will do a little game of what I like best mixed with my own thoughts, but for now the goal is to design uniforms that are different from what the team currently uses, while still looking good. For the home and away jerseys in this set I really wanted to have big, bold stripes of orange to contrast with the oppression of the dark blue. I feel these two uniforms give a great balance of blue and orange as opposed to one color being overly dominant. I debated using orange numbers on the white jersey but ultimately I felt the blue looked best.

Alternate: With this jersey I used a custom logo as the primary crest that is a mix of the Oilers normal logo and the sprocket logo seen on their blue alternate jersey used between 2001-07. The sprocket logo from that jersey can be found, recolored, on the shoulders of this jersey as well as on the pants for the home and away.

12135578835_a3107967f6_o.png

Sens: set 2's my favorite of the Senators sets, though I like set 3 as well. It's not that set 1 sucks, just that the other two outshine it.

Oilers: I can't lie, I'd have been tempted to go with orange numbers on the white, if only to differentiate them from the Islanders, though I figure the contrasting yoke does the job already. The third crest...you don't work for George Jetson's boss, do you? :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Sens: set 2's my favorite of the Senators sets, though I like set 3 as well. It's not that set 1 sucks, just that the other two outshine it.

Oilers: I can't lie, I'd have been tempted to go with orange numbers on the white, if only to differentiate them from the Islanders, though I figure the contrasting yoke does the job already. The third crest...you don't work for George Jetson's boss, do you? :D

Thanks for your thoughts, Scrim, as always I appreciate the longer, more detailed comentary you bring. I still think I personally like the orange numbers on the Islanders better, but the blue doesn't look bad. I decided to go with popular opinion rather than my own on this one, which usually isn't the case. And no, I'm not working for Mr. Sprocket. ;) BTW, you and I have been living in the same state for the last few months.

I think it has to be set 3 for Ottawa. While I like set 2, I don't think the O by itself works as a logo. At least in the other sets it is, and still has the stripe effect.

I like all of the thirds, but set 3 is he best again.

Overall set three does a good job keeping the senators identity while moving away from the spartan (and gold).

• 1 month later...

I'm nearing the end of this redesign project. In fact, all the jerseys are now complete, just not posted yet. I keep my blog ahead of what I post here just as a way to draw people in to have a look, comment and rate them. Nevertheless, here are three more teams I have yet to post here.

Home & Away: For these uniforms I wanted to keep a traditional feel to the overall look, all the while addressing some issues I personally have with the Rangers uniforms. For starters, I have never been a huge fan of the slanted "RANGERS" script on the front of the jerseys, though I do respect the history it has with the team. Nevertheless, gone is the script and in is a recolored version of the Winter Classic logo the team wore in the 2011-12 season against the Philadelphia Flyers. Logos, to me, are much more striking and I feel it is a change the Rangers could use. A recolored Lady Liberty patch, featuring an updated NYC font to match the primary crest, can be found on the shoulders. Also gone are the drop shadow numbers and the name plates now use a font that matches the primary logo. The striping on the jerseys is also virtually identical, with the red stripe being the same width and in the same location on both jerseys. The "extra" striping on the away jersey is simply blue carried over from the home jersey.

Alternate: The alternate's color scheme is taken, again, from the 2011-12 Rangers Winter Classic jersey, featuring a darker blue, red and off-white/wheat color. The primary uniforms' logo is now on the shoulders while the NYC Lady Liberty logo, recolored, adorns the front of the jersey.

12336545415_26835a5d96_o.png

Home & Away: When it comes to hockey, most fans think it's sacrilegious to mess with the original six, and of those six teams the Montreal Canadiens are probably right there at the top of the list. However, I feel even they aren't perfect. Specifically speaking, their lack of continuity between their home and away jerseys has always irked me. Though I do like their home red jersey, for the sake of this project as well as for sticking closer cohesiveness, I have altered the home jersey. The bold blue stripes contrasted by white still remain, but the large torso stripe has been removed and replaced with striping on the jersey hem to match the sleeves. The away jersey has been altered drastically as I felt it needed red to dominate the color scheme as opposed to almost equal amounts of red and blue. The shoulders feature a stylized "M" logo in a similar look to the primary logo. A recolored logo that the Canadiens used on their 2009-10 throwback jerseys adorns the pants.

Alternate: For the alternate I wanted to pay somewhat of an homage to the Canadiens actual red jerseys, but blue, by creating a jersey that uses a logo over top a horizontal stripe that stretches across the chest. The stripe is much smaller than that of the actual Canadiens red jersey but I mirror it in all the other aspects of the uniforms striping. The "M" logo from the shoulders of the home and away is now front and center, and the throwback logo is now presented on both sides of the pants as opposed to neaer to the front.

12336707813_4d1efab7a2_o.png

Home & Away: For my overall set for the Calgary Flames I wanted to completely remove black and throwback to the original Atlanta/Calgary flames color scheme, all the while both creating a modern look with references to different Flames eras. While the sleeve and hem stripes' angles harken back to the 2000 Flames jerseys, the pattern itself is meant to loosely reference the Theo Fleury era uniforms from 1995-2000. As for the shoulder logo, it is simply something I found on Google and recolored as I thought it would be a perfect fit for the Flames. Since the 2007 season, Calgary has featured shoulder patches of the Canadian and Alberta flags, so with that in mind I thought a maple leaf with curves that bring to mind dancing flames would be a much better replacement. Used simply as an alternate patch, I like the way it works.

12337391695_6570d7493a_o.png

Alternate: With this uniform I wanted to do something along the lines of Calgary's 2010-11 Heritage Classic uniform which was almost completely red and gold. I created a distinctly unique striping pattern and adorned the front of the jersey with a "CALGARY" slanted script that features the flaming "C" logo as the first letter. The "C" can also be found on the shoulders as the leaf has been moved to the pants.

12337008344_5c9a331125_o.png

The alternate for your second Senators set blows every other jersey you did for that team clear out the water. I'll even go as far to say that it's one of the best Sens jerseys I've seen on these boards.

Thanks a lot, Morgo, I really appreciate the compliments. :)

Number 3 for Sens.

Same for me. Set #3 for the Senators as well.

Thanks for your input.

I think it has to be set 3 for Ottawa. While I like set 2, I don't think the O by itself works as a logo. At least in the other sets it is, and still has the stripe effect.

I like all of the thirds, but set 3 is he best again.

Overall set three does a good job keeping the senators identity while moving away from the spartan (and gold).

I appreciate the thoughts and comments, B-mer. Thank you.

Wish the Jackets use your look for them. They REALLY need a better look.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Can't change the diagonal Rangers. Looking forward to your Stars concept.

And yet I did, how weird. ;) Kidding of course, but my main goal was to try an be different from what currently exists which means getting over the idea that certain elements, due to age, are the greatest things ever. Oddly enough, however, one of my Stars jerseys features a diagonal script. ;) Thanks for commenting. :)

I like your concepts! The only one that might be concerning is the Flames 3rd jersey, it has a bit of a Soviet Union feel to it which might not fly in a place like Calgary :)

Thanks a lot MuzikMachine. I see what you're saying about the Flames 3rd jersey. I'll eventually toy around with some of these in the future and readdress that jersey in particular. I sort of handcuffed myself by making one of my primary points being the elimination of as much black as possible with a lot of the teams. Anything I tried with that jersey involving white just didn't look good at all to me. I appreciate your thoughts.

Archived