Favorite College Basketball Uniforms

Lights Out

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90s as all getout, but man, I loved the Georgetown Iverson-era jerseys.

34s3xbt.jpg

tumblr_lnurgqd35T1qca0cn.jpg

I thought those were based of kenti cloth, not a 90s trend or anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kente_cloth&useformat=desktop

Not sure if the Texas A&M and Florida state football trim of the same era had the same inspiration.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0609/gallery.cfb1vs2/images/newdunn.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/TEXAS-A-M-Aggies-Nike-Football-Jersey-L-/00/$(KGrHqMOKj0E4CSwCqpWBOH,GUnqiw~~_3.JPG

I love the classics.

UCLA is No. 1. It's simple, great use of color, and you can't argue with something brought out during the John Wooden era.

Indiana is No. 2. Also simple, great use of the IU logo. It just says Hoosiers all over.

I wish North Carolina would have never gone away from the uniforms Michael Jordan wore. Those were classics. I'd like to see Carolina go back to them.

And for two programs that pride themselves in their basketball traditions, I'm amazed at how many styles of uniforms Kentucky and Kansas have gone through.

I love the classics.

UCLA is No. 1. It's simple, great use of color, and you can't argue with something brought out during the John Wooden era.

Indiana is No. 2. Also simple, great use of the IU logo. It just says Hoosiers all over.

I wish North Carolina would have never gone away from the uniforms Michael Jordan wore. Those were classics. I'd like to see Carolina go back to them.

And for two programs that pride themselves in their basketball traditions, I'm amazed at how many styles of uniforms Kentucky and Kansas have gone through.

I've always wondered about this too. Anyone got any theories as to why traditional basketball powers don't hold on to traditional uniforms the way football powers do?

KU has stayed pretty clean and traditional all these years. Kentucky has however had some doozys, especially under Pitino. The bleeding shorts during the Antonie Walker years come to mind.

I love the classics.

I've always wondered about this too. Anyone got any theories as to why traditional basketball powers don't hold on to traditional uniforms the way football powers do?

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

There's been a few doozies here and there, yes, but I've rather liked Oregon's unis over the years. This one especially is great:

64852_Oregon_BYU_Basketball.jpg

And I couldn't tell you why, but I've always really liked the Ainge-Era BYU duds:

a-ainge_danny-byu_display_image.jpg?1316178625

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

KU has stayed pretty clean and traditional all these years. Kentucky has however had some doozys, especially under Pitino. The bleeding shorts during the Antonie Walker years come to mind.

I agree that Kentucky has gone pretty wacky at times, but Kansas hasn't exactly been traditional in its styles. The Jayhawks have had a number of different fonts, a number of different looks -- a lot more than you'd expect from a traditional power. In comparison, UCLA and Indiana haven't changed looks in ages, while North Carolina will stay with a certain style for a long time. KU hasn't done that.

colbb.jpg">My favorite will always be DePaul from the Mark Aguirre era.

Marquette also had cool unis in the late Seventies, but I liked DePaul's better. I would guess that DePaul's were based on the Milwaukee Bucks side-striped uniform of that period.

re: UNC Growing up in the Seventies and Eighties, the Jordan uniform seemed eternal in my memory as the UNC uniform. Did they ever change it before Dean Smith retired? The Tar heel on the shorts is unforgettable. I must say, that I really like their current set with argyle.

I hate Duke's look whenever it has any black on the uniform. It always felt like BFBS.

I wish someone collected images of 1970s college basketball uniforms. It seems like many schools experimented with styles at the end of the decade.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Georgetown reminds me of current day Duke in that pic.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

colbb.jpg">My favorite will always be DePaul from the Mark Aguirre era.

Marquette also had cool unis in the late Seventies, but I liked DePaul's better. I would guess that DePaul's were based on the Milwaukee Bucks side-striped uniform of that period.

re: UNC Growing up in the Seventies and Eighties, the Jordan uniform seemed eternal in my memory as the UNC uniform. Did they ever change it before Dean Smith retired? The Tar heel on the shorts is unforgettable. I must say, that I really like their current set with argyle.

I hate Duke's look whenever it has any black on the uniform. It always felt like BFBS.

I wish someone collected images of 1970s college basketball uniforms. It seems like many schools experimented with styles at the end of the decade.

There was a lot of design experimentation throughout the 70s - look at all the different styles Marquette wore (primarily because Al McGuire was affiliated in some way with either Sand-Knit or MacGregor) throughout the decade, not just the "untucked" look.

That DePaul style with the alternating color blocks was really popular among colleges and high schools through a large part of the decade - even the Cleveland Cavaliers used that style from 1974-75 until say 1979-80. There were 3 variations - the Cavaliers used one where the shorts section widened out, DePaul put trim on the bottom of the jersey so they could be worn untucked, and the basic style (I first saw that style used by Bradley University) the shorts strips were the same width as the jersey stripes. The basic style was used by a lot of high schools as well.

The Bucks style was different - I would say that the Bucks uniforms were more of a mix of that style and the Astros tequila sunrise look.

Finally North Carolina did move to the original version of the argyle uniforms during Dean Smith's final years - they were wearing them in the 1993 Final Four. I don't remember if 1991-1992 or 1992-1993 was the first season for them - these were different than the current version in that the side panels on both the white and blue jerseys were white. In other words the white jersey just had the two-tone blue piping down the side to make it look like a side panel; the blue ones did have a white side panel.

0412_large.jpg

oh you are right, compared to IU and UCLA, KU has changed alot over the years. I really was comparing them to Kentucky and others esp in the wacky 1990s.

I agree that Kentucky has gone pretty wacky at times, but Kansas hasn't exactly been traditional in its styles. The Jayhawks have had a number of different fonts, a number of different looks -- a lot more than you'd expect from a traditional power. In comparison, UCLA and Indiana haven't changed looks in ages, while North Carolina will stay with a certain style for a long time. KU hasn't done that.

Any chance Kansas wears Red unis Monday night to contrast all the Kentucky Blue in the Superdome?

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Thanks for filling the queries on my post. I really liked that untucked look for some reason. I see that Marquette put their name at the bottom of their jersey. I thought I remembered a power school doing that back then. I couldn't find any more of these All-America team shots online. They would be great for us to follow the evolution of some uniform styles.

CBnvUQEGkKGrHqJhgE0fnpVpE0BNIdv-rrr_3.jpg Another "spread" from that era.

Here is one with what I believe is DePaul playing Marquette. I might be wrong. They played a lot of odd/small schools back then.

mark_Aguirre.jpg

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I was rather fond of Louisville's unis in the early 00s. I believe they had to get rid of these due to the NCAA adopting a rule that the first letter of a teams name had to be the same size as the last.

011401logan.jpg

Here is one with what I believe is DePaul playing Marquette. I might be wrong. They played a lot of odd/small schools back then.

mark_Aguirre.jpg

That's absolutely Marquette from the early 80s. They had a lot of looks that were very ahead of their time.

1983.jpg

There was a lot of design experimentation throughout the 70s - look at all the different styles Marquette wore (primarily because Al McGuire was affiliated in some way with either Sand-Knit or MacGregor) throughout the decade, not just the "untucked" look.

I'm not aware of any connections McGuire had with those companies, though that could very well be the case. But both of them were based in Wisconsin not too far from Milwaukee, so I have to believe geography was a primary factor... especially since MU wasn't the only school in Southeast Wisconsin to get experimental during that era:

mke_bb_jersey_1982.png

Archived