Possible Brooklyn Nets leak

NJTank

Is this real? Haven't seen these discussed yet. Maybe the company isn't even real, I can't tell. Interesting concepts to say the least.

edit: Yes, I know these don't look like finished NBA logos, but if this company was giving some ideas to adidas and the NBA, maybe we'll see some things based on these ideas.

Just from looking at all of the concepts on that site, I'm not sure I would ever call on KDU to design me a plain-white paper plate, let alone a professional sports team identity.

The thing is, most of their work is really nice, but what they put together for the Nets project is very lackluster for some reason. I think designing a sports team identity is a pretty specialized skill that not all designers evidently possess, even if they are otherwise good designers.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the net/crown idea is brilliant. It just doesn't finish as well as it could. I agree, the work is pretty great, but poor execution on the Nets marks. Unwieldy arching and interlocking messes are rookie sports design mistakes. I still think the primary could work out in the rights hands.

1334467061' post='1790458']
1334461559' post='1790389']
1334461116' post='1790383']

Is this real? Haven't seen these discussed yet. Maybe the company isn't even real, I can't tell. Interesting concepts to say the least.

edit: Yes, I know these don't look like finished NBA logos, but if this company was giving some ideas to adidas and the NBA, maybe we'll see some things based on these ideas.

Just from looking at all of the concepts on that site, I'm not sure I would ever call on KDU to design me a plain-white paper plate, let alone a professional sports team identity.

The thing is, most of their work is really nice, but what they put together for the Nets project is very lackluster for some reason. I think designing a sports team identity is a pretty specialized skill that not all designers evidently possess, even if they are otherwise good designers.

Did they actually do the final Nets identity?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This very small voice in the back of my head thought, "Wonder if their uniforms will stay the same..." after reading that tweet from Lukas. I think that's the only way I'll be really surprised.

They are doing something to it there is to much with the rebranding not to !!

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I'm scared.

I feel like its either going to go down as one of the coolest jerseys in the league or come close to topping those gradient road jerseys in terms of being god awful.

They really haven't tipped their hand in terms of what direction they are going to go in. Is it going to be a Brooklyn Dodgers themed type of look? An old school Nets look? Something like the Harlem Globetrotters? A look similar to CSKA Moscow with Soviet Union colors?

Something like this?

jayz-nets-jersey.jpg

No idea what's coming.

I'm scared.

I feel like its either going to go down as one of the coolest jerseys in the league or come close to topping those gradient road jerseys in terms of being god awful.

They really haven't tipped their hand in terms of what direction they are going to go in. Is it going to be a Brooklyn Dodgers themed type of look? An old school Nets look? Something like the Harlem Globetrotters? A look similar to CSKA Moscow with Soviet Union colors?

Something like this?

jayz-nets-jersey.jpg

No idea what's coming.

Change the font outline from Red to Bright Neon Pink and you have a winner...

...or not. ^_^

1334467061' post='1790458']
1334461559' post='1790389']
1334461116' post='1790383']

Did they actually do the final Nets identity?

No. As far as I know, the logos, lettering and color scheme were done by Rocawear, while some of the details of the uniform were carried over from the designs presented by adidas. The KDU work was all done in the early stages of adidas' involvement, and none of it went very far in the process.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Actually, the net/crown idea is brilliant. It just doesn't finish as well as it could. I agree, the work is pretty great, but poor execution on the Nets marks. Unwieldy arching and interlocking messes are rookie sports design mistakes. I still think the primary could work out in the rights hands.

A guy I work with actually came up with the idea for the net/crown. We quickly recognized the potential of it, refined it and had a great identity built around it, but our vision of it never quite matched up with the art direction's vision of it, and it never went anywhere. The KDU version of the net/crown is a bit too busy and cartoony for me.

On one hand, I'm happy to hear that the net/crown idea is being used, because we'll finally get a Nets logo that uses a net. On the other hand, it'll seem strange to see the Brooklyn Nets use a net/crown logo in the same league as a team that uses the name "Kings."

On one hand, I'm happy to hear that the net/crown idea is being used, because we'll finally get a Nets logo that uses a net. On the other hand, it'll seem strange to see the Brooklyn Nets use a net/crown logo in the same league as a team that uses the name "Kings."

I think what Andrew said was that the net/crown idea is NOT being used - ie it was discarded.

I think they should be known as new york nets stead of brooklyn nets it does not sound right in my head

Darn tootin'! This is a wasted opportunity for the team to reclaim its historic name.

Also, as I've mentioned before, while the name "Brooklyn" may sell jerseys around the country, within New York City that name has very little "cool" factor outside the borough itself. This clashes with the club's obvious intent to take on the Knicks, as shown by the ad billboards which they have had right next to Madison Square Garden. The team may well convert some current Knick fans who are Brooklyn residents; but it sure won't attract any converts from Manhattan.

The "Brooklyn" name grates on me; but I suppose I should just be thankful that they've kept the nickname "Nets". It could have been much, much worse.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'm scared.

Something like this?

jayz-nets-jersey.jpg

No idea what's coming.

Change the font outline from Red to Bright Neon Pink and you have a winner...

...or not. ^_^

Here's some eye bleach.

golden-retriever-puppy-supplements.jpg

Tf9TG.jpg

I think they should be known as new york nets stead of brooklyn nets it does not sound right in my head

Darn tootin'! This is a wasted opportunity for the team to reclaim its historic name.

Also, as I've mentioned before, while the name "Brooklyn" may sell jerseys around the country, within New York City that name has very little "cool" factor outside the borough itself. This clashes with the club's obvious intent to take on the Knicks, as shown by the ad billboards which they have had right next to Madison Square Garden. The team may well convert some current Knick fans who are Brooklyn residents; but it sure won't attract any converts from Manhattan.

The "Brooklyn" name grates on me; but I suppose I should just be thankful that they've kept the nickname "Nets". It could have been much, much worse.

Plus, and I can't speak for others that dont live in the city proper, I doubt I'd have as much affinity for a team so regionally defined {Brooklyn] versus a team that could technically incorporate more of the state, at least in name only [NEW YORK Knicks].

Plus, and I can't speak for others that dont live in the city proper, I doubt I'd have as much affinity for a team so regionally defined {Brooklyn] versus a team that could technically incorporate more of the state, at least in name only [NEW YORK Knicks].

They're counting on the Brooklyn hipster population to come through, the ones who find the Knicks to be too mainstream.

Tf9TG.jpg

I disagree - I'm from Queens and would have no trouble rooting for a team that calls itself Brooklyn and I'm sure I won't be the only one. NYC fans care more about the actual location of a team than a geographic name. The Nets will play in NYC so people from the city will go and watch them (if they're good). Teams like the Islanders and Red Bulls can call themselves New York all they like but people in the city still won't go out of the way to watch them. And I've never heard of anyone actively disliking the Yankees because they call themselves the "Bronx Bombers". The name just shows where in the city the team plays, and as long as people don't have a problem with the actual location itself, then they generally aren't concern about the names.

And the only borough where this isn't the case is Brooklyn, where there seems to be a ton of pride for the name. People are still openly wearing Brooklyn Dodgers gear and other Brooklyn-branded clothing/hats (you don't see that for any of the other 4 boroughs). That's where the Brooklyn name would actually matter and why its a good idea for the Nets to use that name. The name attracts people from Brooklyn and doesn't really hurt the team's chances at attracting fans in other boroughs.

I disagree - I'm from Queens and would have no trouble rooting for a team that calls itself Brooklyn and I'm sure I won't be the only one. NYC fans care more about the actual location of a team than a geographic name. The Nets will play in NYC so people from the city will go and watch them (if they're good). Teams like the Islanders and Red Bulls can call themselves New York all they like but people in the city still won't go out of the way to watch them. And I've never heard of anyone actively disliking the Yankees because they call themselves the "Bronx Bombers". The name just shows where in the city the team plays, and as long as people don't have a problem with the actual location itself, then they generally aren't concern about the names.

And the only borough where this isn't the case is Brooklyn, where there seems to be a ton of pride for the name. People are still openly wearing Brooklyn Dodgers gear and other Brooklyn-branded clothing/hats (you don't see that for any of the other 4 boroughs). That's where the Brooklyn name would actually matter and why its a good idea for the Nets to use that name. The name attracts people from Brooklyn and doesn't really hurt the team's chances at attracting fans in other boroughs.

Well said. I'm not from the area at all but I see it as a good move too. Another New York named team, to me, would be just another New York team. Brooklyn goes beyond that, reaches more than another New York could.

I disagree - I'm from Queens and would have no trouble rooting for a team that calls itself Brooklyn and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

I am also from Queens -- to be precise, Woodhaven, right on the Queens-Brooklyn border. I will root for the Nets because I have rooted for them since the Dr. J days; but, if I were coming to it anew, and had to choose between a team named for my City in its entirety, and a team named for one borough (in which I do not live and with which I do not identify), I'd choose the team named for the City as a whole.

NYC fans care more about the actual location of a team than a geographic name. The Nets will play in NYC so people from the city will go and watch them (if they're good). Teams like the Islanders and Red Bulls can call themselves New York all they like but people in the city still won't go out of the way to watch them.

It's certainly true that the name "New York" alone doesn't attract fans, if the team is not within the city. The Giants and Jets benefit from huge existing fanbases that cover not only the City but the entire region, and, in the Giants' case, well up into New England. So they can get away with being outside the City.

And I've never heard of anyone actively disliking the Yankees because they call themselves the "Bronx Bombers".

Well, that's not their official name. So it isn't really comparable to "Brooklyn Nets".

The name just shows where in the city the team plays, and as long as people don't have a problem with the actual location itself, then they generally aren't concern about the names.

And therein lies the problem: many people in Manhattan and the other boroughs do have a problem with the actual location itself, for various reasons. (Not the with the particular section of Brooklyn where the arena is; but with their impressions of "Brooklyn".) Manhattan people tend to consider Brooklyn extremely unsophisticated (not talking about hipsters, who are identified mainly with the Williamsburg section anyway, and not with Brooklyn as a whole); Bronx people consider it uncool, or, to use a term that is not yet outdated, "wack". While I cannot identify a similar generalisation on behalf of Queens people towards Brooklyn, I can only tell you that I, personally, sympathise strongly with the Manhattan-based generalisation. (No need to go into detail on that!)

And the only borough where this isn't the case is Brooklyn, where there seems to be a ton of pride for the name. People are still openly wearing Brooklyn Dodgers gear and other Brooklyn-branded clothing/hats (you don't see that for any of the other 4 boroughs). That's where the Brooklyn name would actually matter and why its a good idea for the Nets to use that name.

For one thing, I have a cool "Queens" hat that I bought in Jamaica; and I wear it often! Secondly, there no doubt exists within Brooklyn a lot of pride in the name; the question is whether this (the pride in the name "Brooklyn") exists elsewhere in the City. I don't believe that it does. And, finally, with regard to the Brooklyn Dodgers: consider that, while the people who loved the Dodgers were mainly Brooklynites, the people who hated the Dodgers most were other New Yorkers, who had their own teams.

The name attracts people from Brooklyn and doesn't really hurt the team's chances at attracting fans in other boroughs.

We shall see.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived