New Texas Football practice Jerseys

gdu

Maybe being critical of PRACTICE jerseys is a bit much, but I don't get why the little triangular piece (near the arm pit) isn't orange on the orange jersey. Both of the other jerseys have the triangle as the same color as the main color. The upper stripe seems like it's just hanging out. I suppose the bottom part of the cuff will be covered by an arm so it will look like two stripes. Also it's really funny to me that the template shown doesn't even replicate the sleeves. The triangular piece (in the template) doesn't even touch the cuff.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HATE the Texas outline with the star locating Austin since it is so cliche and totally unnecessary for UT. Esp. with the burnt orange state flag. Now, that logo, for a logo that needs to spell out Texas for a team with called Texas, is the one to so with.

They pack a huge park pretty much nightly. I don't know what the numbers are, but I'd imagine (living in another town where baseball's more important to the fanbase than basketball) that baseball actually does get significant donations. And yeah, I can see a program with 12 CWS appearances not being a significant flagship program. 34 trips, which is what UT actually has, is a pretty important program, at least on campus and to the alumni.

Baseball does use black trim, and while college baseball isn't a big deal everywhere, it's a huge deal at UT. Hard to argue that a program with six national titles and twelve College World Series appearances isn't a centerpiece program.

Easy to argue that it's not a centrepiece program. Six national titles and twelve College World Series appearances is all well and good, but it doesn't suddenly make the baseball program a flagship if it's not what brings in the viewers and donations. You can certainly have a tremendously well run and successful NCAA baseball program. That doesn't change the fact that baseball isn't a big deal at the NCAA level

Texas basketball has also worn black uniforms before:

Spiffy. They don't wear it now though. Plenty of teams experiment, but Longhorns basketball seems to have gone back to what's worked.

Sorry, all of this comes off as stretching to try and justify the Longhorns' use of black in game uniforms as seen in these pretty terrible practice uniforms. Sometimes modernists fail to recognize that not EVERY team needs tricked out uniforms, multiple uniform combinations, and black and/or grey inserted everywhere.

Maybe that works for some schools, like Boise or Oregon. Not every school is Boise or Oregon though. Schools like Notre Dame and Texas? They're traditional. What you call "boring" works for them, and they shouldn't mess with it.

1. Dead on. Baseball at UT is a centerpiece program in the same way women's soccer is a centerpiece program at UNC. Yes, they are a big deal at the campus, but in the realm of college athletics, only football & basketball matter. That is why they are called "revenue sports".

2. The basketball team went BFBS and got rolled by Duke. After that, they weren't real eager to wear them again. And remember that the football team already told Vince Young they weren't gonna wear black when he was there when he pushed for it. Mack Brown & Darrell K. Royal are staunch traditionalists. They turned down the PC treatment (like Alabama did), and it was a huge deal that Nike got them to wear throwbacks a few years ago. There is a miniscule chance that UT will be changing their traditional gameday look anytime soon.

Start the countdown until someone posts about how awesome these are and says they should be worn in a game...

Wow these are awesome and should be worn in a game :P

I'm waiting for someone to say that this is actually the new NFL template being rolled out for Texas as a way of getting feedback on it.

CORRECTION: Someone in the NFL thread already has. They said this is the template for the Titans.

Correction I said I FIGURE thats how the titans design will translate to the Speed Machine Unis not that it is for sure.

Apologies for the confusion. Didn't mean to start any disinformation.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Its purely a recruiting tool. That's the only purpose they serve.

But because they are a recruiting tool get used to seeing these alot more of these things because every college in the country is soon to follow. Within three years I will guarantee you at least 3/4 of the schools in D1A football will have uniform designs simply for their practice jerseys, rather then just a plain colored or white jersey. So hurray football jerkoff money.

Maybe being critical of PRACTICE jerseys is a bit much, but I don't get why the little triangular piece (near the arm pit) isn't orange on the orange jersey. Both of the other jerseys have the triangle as the same color as the main color. The upper stripe seems like it's just hanging out. I suppose the bottom part of the cuff will be covered by an arm so it will look like two stripes. Also it's really funny to me that the template shown doesn't even replicate the sleeves. The triangular piece (in the template) doesn't even touch the cuff.

The thing is their old practice jerseys were perfect, too. Nike and the school went out of their way to make terrible new ones. It's not like it is a template practice jersey like all adidas schools use. This was designed specifically for Texas.

old practice uniforms:

mikedcatch_1375394c.jpg

The thing is their old practice jerseys were perfect, too. Nike and the school went out of their way to make terrible new ones. It's not like it is a template practice jersey like all adidas schools use. This was designed specifically for Texas.

old practice uniforms:

mikedcatch_1375394c.jpg

I would imagine that's what most teams look like.

Why get creative with practice jerseys? Just plain colors with the school's name on it. Done. No need to go beyond that.

But again I think these new jerseys are being done purely for recruiting.

Just a little note about Texas basball that I find interesting. Texas' women's basketball coach made more than Texas' baseball coach last season.

That's the case at most schools. Women's basketball coaches at BCS schools average $600K, baseball's average is closer to $400k. Obviously, you have your outliers like Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, Gail Goestenkors, Kim Mulkey and Nikki Caldwell that each made over $1.5 million last year, with Summitt and Auriemma each making over $2 million. There are a couple of baseball coaches that are in that $800-900k range.

old practice uniforms:

mikedcatch_1375394c.jpg

I would imagine that's what most teams look like.

Why get creative with practice jerseys? Just plain colors with the school's name on it. Done. No need to go beyond that.

But again I think these new jerseys are being done purely for recruiting.

Most teams were cheap mesh jerseys with screen printed numbers. Texas' are the same cut/material as game uniforms with sewn-on tackle twill numbers and school name.

Here are some other schools for comparison:

4e3c9f7327f93.image.jpg

TCU_football_5.standalone.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

FB-Scrimmage_MH-04.02.11_0206-FTW.jpg

Just a little note about Texas basball that I find interesting. Texas' women's basketball coach made more than Texas' baseball coach last season.

That's the case at most schools. Women's basketball coaches at BCS schools average $600K, baseball's average is closer to $400k. Obviously, you have your outliers like Pat Summitt, Geno Auriemma, Gail Goestenkors, Kim Mulkey and Nikki Caldwell that each made over $1.5 million last year, with Summitt and Auriemma each making over $2 million. There are a couple of baseball coaches that are in that $800-900k range.

The (now former) UT women's b-ball coach also didn't blow out any of her star players' elbows from overuse, so that merits a better salary.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

ApKQxMyCAAEMJ6-.jpg

ApKRUPqCEAADqzD.jpg

If Oregon State's old uniform was a sports bra, then this look is a whole cocktail dress.

7113_black_cat.jpg

Excellent. LOL'd at that.

I hope they do bring these to the field. Then they can lose to OU and look goofy doing it. Win-win for the Sooners! :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

ApKQti_CAAArqwE.jpg

I don't think the black numbers on orange would pop enough to be seen from a distance, like in the stands. I do not like the black jerseys, but the orange pops off it better.

Remember when practice jerseys were beat up old jerseys or cheap, generic, practically shirts? Good times :)

Also, while not a fan of BFBS, as far as Texas goes, I think navy blue would look good with our shade of orange.

Football: Mack Brown

2011-12 salary: $5.2 million

Men's basketball: Rick Barnes

2011-12 salary: $3.48 million

Women's basketball: Gail Goestenkors

2011-12 salary: $1.09 million

Baseball: Augie Garrido

2011-12 salary: $935,000

Further proof that, even at a school that excels at NCAA baseball, the program's not a flagship.

Why is that an issue? Tying back to Lights Out's point about black being applied consistently. He's argued that these practice uniforms should be worn during games because hey, other sports use black.

Which isn't all that convincing when you consider that the two sports that don't use black are football and basketball, the two true flagship programs. They only wear the simple burnt orange and white because that simple, traditional colour scheme and aesthetic is the centrepiece of the UT Longhorns brand. Sure baseball uses black. Doesn't matter though, because the UT teams that the public watches on a regular basis wear the traditional orange and white, and that should never change.

Archived