New Texas Football practice Jerseys

gdu

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Further proof that, even at a school that excels at NCAA baseball, the program's not a flagship.

Why is that an issue? Tying back to Lights Out's point about black being applied consistently. He's argued that these practice uniforms should be worn during games because hey, other sports use black.

Which isn't all that convincing when you consider that the two sports that don't use black are football and basketball, the two true flagship programs. They only wear the simple burnt orange and white because that simple, traditional colour scheme and aesthetic is the centrepiece of the UT Longhorns brand. Sure baseball uses black. Doesn't matter though, because the UT teams that the public watches on a regular basis wear the traditional orange and white, and that should never change.

basketball has worn gray alts for quite some time...would gray be acceptable for football then?

ApKSzqMCEAAfwKu.jpg

ApKS7AQCIAIFLZh.jpg

The 'Horns are going to substitute helemt numeral stickers exclusively for practice?

That's just dumb.

Huh? Texas has always had huge numbers there.

But they've used those giant round numbers, similar to what the beats use. Not this modern block style.

bluebonnet_decal_082707_300.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Lots of teams wear orange, too. I guess Texas shouldn't wear orange anymore then?

That's just silly. Come on now.

My whole point has been that the football team, as the centrepiece of the athletic department, should wear the iconic burnt orange and white, and nothing else. Simple, no?

It's very simple, once you get down to it. The uber-modern thing? Sure that works for some schools. Not all of them though. Plenty of programs actually embrace tradition, whether you like it or not. Texas is one them. That's why this new set has been relegated to practice status.

Modernists like to moan and grown about how not every team has to look traditional, that out there looks and colours work for some teams. Fair enough. It works the other way to though. Not every team has to look like Boise or Oregon. Traditional, simple looks just work of other teams ;)

My opinion is that, if it looks nice and suits the identity, then a team should wear it. I think that Texas' practice jerseys fit that criteria. I don't understand why you're essentially trying to argue against my taste.

Isn't that what you do with, well, anyone who doesn't comply with your "if it's traditional it's boring" mentality? Honestly, I'm not trying to be snarky, it honestly comes across that way.

Though if you think about it that's what everyone here does. Argue over tastes. If it's all subjective (which it is 99 times out of 100) then any discussion over whether or not this or that looks good is "arguing against [somneone's] taste."

My opinion is that these are ok-not-great uniforms that would work if Longhorns football didn't have the long, established tradition it does. It does have that tradition though, so I would rather not see these on gameday.

They're practice jerseys. It's not like they'll be playing OU in the Cotton Bowl in them. You guys wont even see them!

I go to practices all the time. I might honestly have to stop though, cause I don't think I could watch 2 hours of these.

Further proof that, even at a school that excels at NCAA baseball, the program's not a flagship.

Why is that an issue? Tying back to Lights Out's point about black being applied consistently. He's argued that these practice uniforms should be worn during games because hey, other sports use black.

Which isn't all that convincing when you consider that the two sports that don't use black are football and basketball, the two true flagship programs. They only wear the simple burnt orange and white because that simple, traditional colour scheme and aesthetic is the centrepiece of the UT Longhorns brand. Sure baseball uses black. Doesn't matter though, because the UT teams that the public watches on a regular basis wear the traditional orange and white, and that should never change.

basketball has worn gray alts for quite some time...would gray be acceptable for football then?

Not exactly true. Basektball used to wear silver for special games in the Runnin' Horns years, but hadn't for quite some time until the Temple game this season.

Nike gave the team grey uniforms, but Barnes didn't like them so the team never wore tehm. Kevin Durant gave the team all the NERF edition of his shoes and the team decided they looked best with the grey uniforms so they wore them. They played well in them so they wore them once more (at home vs. Baylor).

ApKSzqMCEAAfwKu.jpg

ApKS7AQCIAIFLZh.jpg

The 'Horns are going to substitute helemt numeral stickers exclusively for practice?

That's just dumb.

But they've used those giant round numbers, similar to what the beats use. Not this modern block style.

I know. That graphic also shows black Nike visor tab stickets and black neck bumpers. Do you think they are gongi to use those for practice, too?

My opinion is that, if it looks nice and suits the identity, then a team should wear it. I think that Texas' practice jerseys fit that criteria. I don't understand why you're essentially trying to argue against my taste.

Isn't that what you do with, well, anyone who doesn't comply with your "if it's traditional it's boring" mentality?

Complete misrepresentation of my opinions. I'm not really sure how saying that I prefer those practice jerseys to Texas' regular uniforms equates to "all traditional uniforms are boring and so are people who like them", but to each his own I guess.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This is in no way trying to argue your taste. But please explain in what way the various uses of black and alternating shoulder colors suits the identity, when for so long, the identity has been exactly the same, consistent look. All I see is burnt orange and white, no frills.

77169626_display_image.jpg

ericmetcalf_display_image.jpg

young.jpg

2295dab06cbeb504_large_display_image.jpeg

colt-mccoy.jpg

Not exactly true. Basektball used to wear silver for special games in the Runnin' Horns years, but hadn't for quite some time until the Temple game this season.

Nike gave the team grey uniforms, but Barnes didn't like them so the team never wore tehm. Kevin Durant gave the team all the NERF edition of his shoes and the team decided they looked best with the grey uniforms so they wore them. They played well in them so they wore them once more (at home vs. Baylor).

ApKSzqMCEAAfwKu.jpg

ApKS7AQCIAIFLZh.jpg

That's just dumb.

I know. That graphic also shows black Nike visor tab stickets and black neck bumpers. Do you think they are gongi to use those for practice, too?

it's exactly true...just because the gray/silver alt basketball uniform hasn't made a recent appearance, doesn't mean that gray is an accepted alt color for texas athletics...if it reappears next season nobody will blink an eye.

ApKSzqMCEAAfwKu.jpg

ApKS7AQCIAIFLZh.jpg

That's just dumb.

it's exactly true...just because the gray/silver alt basketball uniform hasn't made a recent appearance, doesn't mean that gray is an accepted alt color for texas athletics...if it reappears next season nobody will blink an eye.

Did you even read what I wrote? They wore grey this season...twice. And yes, people would flip if the football team wore grey.

ApKQti_CAAArqwE.jpg

I don't think the black numbers on orange would pop enough to be seen from a distance, like in the stands. I do not like the black jerseys, but the orange pops off it better.

Remember when practice jerseys were beat up old jerseys or cheap, generic, practically shirts? Good times :)

Also, while not a fan of BFBS, as far as Texas goes, I think navy blue would look good with our shade of orange.

They do sell a lot of apparel (t-shirt/sweatshirts/shorts/etc) in navy as well as black. Texas Burnt Orange pairs wonderfully with navy, and it's an underrated color combo.

Hell, when I was in high school 20 years ago, I rarely saw anything UT in black. It was white, grey, orange, or navy. The liberal usage of black in UT apparel is more of a last-15-years-sort-of-thing.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

They're bad because they're Texas and it doesn't fit their identity.

Honestly though, as far as modern spins on block number fonts go, I like this number font a lot. I think the black and orange jerseys would actually be a really good fit for a team like the Bengals, because unfortunately they have no tradition in terms of identity (at least in the jerseys). For Texas, nope.

(In full disclosure I'm a Bengals and Oregon Ducks fan but my favorite uniforms are Alabama and Texas, FWIW).

They're bad because they're Texas and it doesn't fit their identity.

Honestly though, as far as modern spins on block number fonts go, I like this number font a lot. I think the black and orange jerseys would actually be a really good fit for a team like the Bengals (except for the white shoulder yoke on the orange jerseys, that's terrible because it has no white elsewhere to balance it), because unfortunately they have no tradition in terms of identity (at least in the jerseys). For Texas, nope.

(In full disclosure I'm a Bengals and Oregon Ducks fan but my favorite uniforms are Alabama and Texas, FWIW).

9up7jm.png

Archived