New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

It's oh so very simple:

1. Move the New Orleans Hornets to Seattle. They become the Seattle Supersonics.

2. Rename the Charlotte Bobcats the Charlotte Hornets.

3. Do not touch anything about the Utah Jazz.

Works for me!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's oh so very simple:

1. Move the New Orleans Hornets to Seattle. They become the Seattle Supersonics.

Works for me!

baltimoreravens.png

It's oh so very simple:

Works for me!

I agree except for the Jazz. I don't care how long they use that name, it doesn't fit and is horrible for Utah. And don't compare to the Lakers. They have 10x the history in LA than the Jazz have in Utah.

I know it's a lost cause and the Jazz will probably be in Utah for decades to come. But if people in Utah and happy with having the worst nickname in professional sports, it's their decision.

The Bobcats franchise in no way deserves to have other franchises cater to it's interests merely to bank on the locals recalling the days of Muggsy Bogues and Larry Johnson. The franchise is a walking shell, a strange abomination of a real NBA team and the Washington Generals; a zombie franchise resurrected seemingly without direction. It's inevitable return to the graveyard is eminent, so long as it's 10 fans and collar-adjusting ownership perpetuates it's existence. The team will no doubt be a sad and awkward answer to a trivia question someday, right there along with the WNBA, the "new ball," and the Las-Vegas All-Star Game.

If the New Orleans Hornets wants to rename itself for some odd reason, that's their prerogative, but I don't see why. The name "New Orleans Hornets" rolls off the tongue nicely, their brand integrates the colorful image the city wants to promote, and with a few tweaks of their uniforms/roster, they could gain a lot of recognition. I hope this is merely idle speculation and nothing more.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

We could have all sorts of fun with this.

Lakers go to -- no, not Minnesota -- Utah.

Jazz goes to New Orleans.

Hornets go to Carolina.

Bobcats go to Oklahoma City and become Wildcats in honor of the oil industry.

Thunder goes to Memphis.

Grizzlies go to Los Angeles.

There could be more. But none of this is going to happen. Well, maybe the Hornets will go to Charlotte, New Orleans comes up with a new one and the Bobcats name goes into the dustbin of NBA history. Otherwise, it's just wishes on our part.

But, then again, it is fun to speculate.

So about the name change thing:

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

Memphis Bobcats

I've just gotta, and then we can drop this:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Grizzlies

Memphis Bobcats

Boom. Done.

Perfect!

I liked that idea better when I said it...

6 days ago.

It's oh so very simple:

Works for me!

So New Orleans just gets completely shafted?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The Bobcats franchise in no way deserves to have other franchises cater to it's interests merely to bank on the locals recalling the days of Muggsy Bogues and Larry Johnson. The franchise is a walking shell, a strange abomination of a real NBA team and the Washington Generals; a zombie franchise resurrected seemingly without direction. It's inevitable return to the graveyard is eminent, so long as it's 10 fans and collar-adjusting ownership perpetuates it's existence. The team will no doubt be a sad and awkward answer to a trivia question someday, right there along with the WNBA, the "new ball," and the Las-Vegas All-Star Game.

michael-jordan_display_image.jpg

problem?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But if people in Utah are happy with having the worst nickname in professional sports, it's their decision.

I'm perfectly happy with it, thanks.

Now let's stop talking about the Jazz.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Normally I'd agree with those wanting to leave the Jazz name out of this. But keeping that name after the move was ludicrous. Jazz is among the most appropriate names for an N.O. team and the most ridiculously inappropriate names for a Utah team. Might as well move the Dolphins to Omaha and keep the name.

Bring back the Jazz!

5776.gif

Years ago (nineteen-dickety or so, admiral :P ), the Jazz's old offices still had a purple carpet with the Jazz logo in it just inside the door. Knowing the way things are done in New Orleans, that carpet probably didn't come off the floor until the post-Katrina renovations. A few more years and it might have been apropos again. :D

No. They are the Utah Jazz. So what if the name isn't politically correct. Are you going to have the Lakers and Timberwolves switch names? The Jazz have been in Utah for what, 30 years? A lot of history has been accumulated. Malone, Stockton, years of playoff trips, 2 straight finals appearances (both of which they would have won if Jordan had stayed retired).

Not politically correct? Try a travesty. But have it your way since I really couldn't care less about the NBA.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So about the name change thing:

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

Memphis Bobcats

I've just gotta, and then we can drop this:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Grizzlies

Memphis Bobcats

Boom. Done.

Perfect!

I liked that idea better when I said it...

6 days ago.

It's oh so very simple:

Works for me!

So New Orleans just gets completely shafted?

Yes. It will never work.

sig.png

I guess Creole is a name that might be politically incorret.

Not really. The word "creole" is used to describe a fully functional language created from a mixture of other languages. Louisiana creole is one of many. All languages, from Arabic to Spanish have parented creole languages.

spacer.png

Were we due for one of these or something? It's like there's a whole new flock of members that have never heard this all before. Or they know better and are just trolling.

On topic, I see no reason for New Orleans not to keep Hornets at this point. Change when you move or forget it. It might actually be worse if you don't. Like what the Tennessee Oilers did: had a whole new state buy Oilers gear and then made it outdated in no time in the name of "what's right" and "they deserve their own name."

Yeah, but that wasn't by choice - Bud Adams really thought that Tennesseans would let him keep the old name.

He was forced into a change, after trying to resist. No cash grab there.

Yes and in that case it was only a few years vs 10 in the Hornets case.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

So Tennessee fans resisted Oilers merch in droves? I don't remember it that way. Never heard he was "forced." Not saying it isn't true...

And as far as timing... An NFL team comes to a previously unserved market, and people wait a few years before buying team gear? The Oilers name represented major league status. I'm sure there was some value in that.

Archived