New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

Okay, I know it'll never happen, but I can dream, can't I?

New Orleans Hornets switches identities with Utah Jazz to become the New Orleans Jazz yet again. It solves a decades old oddity as New Orleans was about the only place that could pull off the nickname Jazz right in the first place.

Utah becomes the Hornets which actually fits nicely with their state moniker as Utah as known as The Beehive State anyway and it also dovetails nicely with their minor league baseball team the Salt Lake City Bees (AAA). Besides, for all the success the team might have enjoyed, it's not as though they have any championships, so a slight change might be good.

That's...actually...brilliant....

Didn't know that bit of trivia about Utah...

I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic, because that same proposal for those very reasons has been done to death.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, franchise movement is much like a divorce, and often, it's best to change team nicknames as well to signify a fresh start. The case of the Giants I cited was a little different, since the western part of this country had very few other sports franchises during that era. The memories which happened during the time in the old city stay there, and with the fans who may be transplants or have a connection with that franchise. Heard one weird comment from a Braves fan comparing Chipper Jones with a Boston Braves player last season. Talk about a tenuous connection! Let's do a poll on how many other Atlanta Braves fans could even name one Boston Braves player. Naturally, the score will be incredibly low, because that was 60 plus years ago in a city twice removed. The uniqueness of sports franchises to the city the play in cannot be overstated.

If it's a divorce, then both sides get something. The city gets the building the team played in. That's a pretty equitable "half".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

New Orleans Hornets switches identities with Utah Jazz to become the New Orleans Jazz yet again. It solves a decades old oddity as New Orleans was about the only place that could pull off the nickname Jazz right in the first place.

Utah becomes the Hornets which actually fits nicely with their state moniker as Utah as known as The Beehive State anyway and it also dovetails nicely with their minor league baseball team the Salt Lake City Bees (AAA). Besides, for all the success the team might have enjoyed, it's not as though they have any championships, so a slight change might be good.

As for Charlotte, I'd ditch the Bobcats in place of Cougars. Partially for the history of that name already, partially because the team's poor history under the current identity and because I really don't like the alleged narcissism in the choosing of the name by the team's original owner Robert "Bob" Johnson.

I think whatever team eventually comes to Seattle should adopt the Sonics moniker. It's not as though the team was only around for a couple of years, they were part of the city's fabric and even won a championship. I look to their return in much the same way Winnipeg got the Jets back. It's not so much about the team and the past history of the identity, it's the identity as it was identified with the city itself and their fans. Sure it's just the laundry, but it's the fans' laundry and they should be able to use it as the conduit for their support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvu64YjQGCE&feature=related

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's...actually...brilliant....

Didn't know that bit of trivia about Utah...

I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic, because that same proposal for those very reasons has been done to death.

Hardly sarcastic. Being done to death doesn't make it wrong...

tigercatssignature-1.png

People are aware that hornets dont live in beehives, right?...or are you all being insectists?!

Yes, hornets are carnivores that make hexgonal honeycomb out of paper as opposed to honey. Close enough though, certainly more appropiate than 'Jazz'...

tigercatssignature-1.png

As for Charlotte, I'd ditch the Bobcats in place of Cougars. Partially for the history of that name already, partially because the team's poor history under the current identity and because I really don't like the alleged narcissism in the choosing of the name by the team's original owner Robert "Bob" Johnson.

I think whatever team eventually comes to Seattle should adopt the Sonics moniker. It's not as though the team was only around for a couple of years, they were part of the city's fabric and even won a championship. I look to their return in much the same way Winnipeg got the Jets back. It's not so much about the team and the past history of the identity, it's the identity as it was identified with the city itself and their fans. Sure it's just the laundry, but it's the fans' laundry and they should be able to use it as the conduit for their support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvu64YjQGCE&feature=related

I'm nominating this for PotD.

Seriously. Enough with the "lets switch all of these teams' names around!" garbage. It would create such a cluster :censored: that the only benefit to doing it would be to appease a bunch of dorks on a sports logo message board.

This is just another case where fans aren't letting facts get in the way of a good story. I guess. I just don't see why it's so hard to keep Atlanta records and franchise records. People really want to throw half the history of the team out the window because it didn't happen in their city?

People aren't savvy enough in this "advanced metrics" day and age to distinguish between what the old Sonics did and what a new version does in Seattle? Do they really have to "own" it? And pretend it's the same team? As if you can really own such a thing anyway? If we can spit out junk like "A-Rod is the first to reach his x HR before he hit his x double in the second inning under partly cloudy skies," I think people can handle the difference between Seattle records and Supersonics/Thunder franchise records rather than wiping out all of the Kings history doing it. Winnipeg seems to be handling it okay.

This post is not written in as angry a tone as it seems. :)

Hey, i'm new. Still getting use to things. I've been thinking about it, but what is the Hornets became the "New Orleans Battle"? Not to shabby I think...

Naming the team after a battle that ultimately proved to be pointless? Seems strangely fitting :P

Out of curiousity I actually decided to watch it. What a disturbing piece of crap that was. The only thing that I'm nominating is rams80 as Most Likely to Bury Dead Prostitutes in His Backyard... :jawdrop::puke:

Seriously. Enough with the "lets switch all of these teams' names around!" garbage. It would create such a cluster :censored: that the only benefit to doing it would be to appease a bunch of dorks on a sports logo message board.

And what is so wrong with that? :suspect:

:P

tigercatssignature-1.png

Out of curiousity I actually decided to watch it. What a disturbing piece of crap that was. The only thing that I'm nominating is rams80 as Most Likely to Bury Dead Prostitutes in His Backyard... :jawdrop::puke:

And what is so wrong with that? :suspect:

:P

If girls don't want to please us, what makes you think David Stern would?

Does anybody, at this point, think it's actually LIKELY that the team would change its name? At this point, I'm kind of hoping they don't. Here's why: it seems to me that if they do change, the Hornets identity stands a good chance of being lost. I'm not really sure how likely it is that Jordan or a future Bobcats owner would pony up the money to buy that name/identity back for the fans of Charlotte, but even if they did get it back, there might still be a problem. It's kind of seemed to me lately that the team, being perennially moribund, might become a flight risk eventually (I could be wrong, though, and people in Charlotte will have to give me the lowdown regarding this). If the new Hornets do leave, would they keep that nickname? They may or may not, depending upon where they move. If they go to some previously unexplored market, then sure, it's possible, but if they go to Seattle, obviously not.

I just don't want to lose the Hornets' identity, because I've always found it to be very cool.

This feels like a trial balloon to me, just like the new owner's "thinking about changing the Astros name" debacle.

We'll see if basketball fans in New Orleans care that much about it.

Man, I'm glad the Astros didn't and won't change. What an awful move that would be, especially seeing as how that name made perfect sense in that city. The goal is not to eliminate nicknames that actually work in whatever locations, or that the fans like. <_<

But yeah, hopefully this is just Benson musing out loud.

Another question: do people think that this team has a future in New Orleans? I do still wonder. I mean, they're obviously set for the short term, but in the longer term, I'm not quite sure.

The joke was that so many people have suggested the same stupid thing that it's driven rams into a homicidal rage.

The problem with the whole "team x, y, and z" should trade names thing is that it would create to much unnecessary confusion.

For the sake of keeping things simple, lets say the Utah Jazz become the Utah Stars, and the New Orleans Hornets become the New Orleans Jazz.

So which franchise gets to hang 1997 and 1998 Western Conference Champions banners? Which franchise gets to claim the records, and heck memories, of John Stockton and Karl Malone? All of that happened with the Utah Jazz. But the Jazz now play in New Orleans. Even though it's not the same team, it's a different team using their name, and the team that those players did play for is now going by a different name. So is just the name moving? Or are the franchise records moving? Is it a Cleveland Deal type of thing, where we all pretend the Jazz never left New Orleans? How do we deal with the team's extensive history in Utah? And if we are moving all or some of the Jazz team's legacy to New Orleans, how do we mesh that with the history and legacy of the Hornets? The team that's actually just getting the Jazz name.

Now imagine that the Utah team doesn't go with Stars. Imagine they get the Grizzlies name. Memphis is the Bobcats, and Charlotte has the Hornets name. Imagine the headaches involved with just moving the Jazz name back to New Orleans multiplied in each of those cities. No one would be sure which team holds what records, or what team histories are being assigned to whom. It's the Cleveland Deal on steroids.

Would Utah fans be required to forget the decades of Jazz basketball and suddenly take up the banner of the Grizzlies and their history? Would New Orleans get to claim the successes of the Jazz basketball in Utah as their own? Would Charlotte get to pretend their crappy 2000s expansion team is really the Hornets we all knew and loved from the 80s and 90s? Would Memphis just trade one lacklustre team's legacy and history for another?

There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

The joke was that so many people have suggested the same stupid thing that it's driven rams into a homicidal rage.

The problem with the whole "team x, y, and z" should trade names thing is that it would create to much unnecessary confusion.

For the sake of keeping things simple, lets say the Utah Jazz become the Utah Stars, and the New Orleans Hornets become the New Orleans Jazz.

So which franchise gets to hang 1997 and 1998 Western Conference Champions banners? Which franchise gets to claim the records, and heck memories, of John Stockton and Karl Malone? All of that happened with the Utah Jazz. But the Jazz now play in New Orleans. Even though it's not the same team, it's a different team using their name, and the team that those players did play for is now going by a different name. So is just the name moving? Or are the franchise records moving? Is it a Cleveland Deal type of thing, where we all pretend the Jazz never left New Orleans? How do we deal with the team's extensive history in Utah? And if we are moving all or some of the Jazz team's legacy to New Orleans, how do we mesh that with the history and legacy of the Hornets? The team that's actually just getting the Jazz name.

Now imagine that the Utah team doesn't go with Stars. Imagine they get the Grizzlies name. Memphis is the Bobcats, and Charlotte has the Hornets name. Imagine the headaches involved with just moving the Jazz name back to New Orleans multiplied in each of those cities. No one would be sure which team holds what records, or what team histories are being assigned to whom. It's the Cleveland Deal on steroids.

Would Utah fans be required to forget the decades of Jazz basketball and suddenly take up the banner of the Grizzlies and their history? Would New Orleans get to claim the successes of the Jazz basketball in Utah as their own? Would Charlotte get to pretend their crappy 2000s expansion team is really the Hornets we all knew and loved from the 80s and 90s? Would Memphis just trade one lacklustre team's legacy and history for another?

There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

It would simply be the same team with a different nickname.

So Utah would be the Team that went to the finals, and Jazz name would replace the current Hornets Nickname with in change will replace the Bobcats nickname in Charlotte.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived