New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

The joke was that so many people have suggested the same stupid thing that it's driven rams into a homicidal rage.

The problem with the whole "team x, y, and z" should trade names thing is that it would create to much unnecessary confusion.

<snip>

There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

You're over thinking it, I don't ultimately care one way or another, it's just fun thought experiment, and rams80 video choice is still in extemely poor taste...

tigercatssignature-1.png

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This feels like a trial balloon to me, just like the new owner's "thinking about changing the Astros name" debacle.

We'll see if basketball fans in New Orleans care that much about it.

Man, I'm glad the Astros didn't and won't change. What an awful move that would be, especially seeing as how that name made perfect sense in that city. The goal is not to eliminate nicknames that actually work in whatever locations, or that the fans like. <_<

But yeah, hopefully this is just Benson musing out loud.

Another question: do people think that this team has a future in New Orleans? I do still wonder. I mean, they're obviously set for the short term, but in the longer term, I'm not quite sure.

Well, they just inked a deal to stay thorough 2024, so yeah. I think that's sufficiently long-term for now.

X

The New Orleans Captains?

I'm actually liking that the more I think about it...it's nautical but self-standing. Obviously would be silly to have a captain of the Captains but eh why not?

Actually Pilots would work as a nautical theme, as in the river pilots that guide ships in and out of the Mississippi.

Resurrecting Breakers doesn't work so well. New Orleans is on a river and a lake so there are no breakers to speak of.

What about New Orleans Crescents?

You'd know more than me. Is it still called the Crescent City?

Um, yeah, the river still makes that big curve there and probably always will. :D

new_orleans_satellite.jpg

Aside from inspiring the nickname Crescent City, that bend is also why in New Orleans you drive due east to reach what's called the Westbank. :wacko:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Um, yeah, the river still makes that big curve there and probably always will.

Well, given how rivers tend to cut through things, always isn't likely. But for our lifetime (unless someone here sips from the Holy Grail, takes a dip in a Lazarus Pit or is bitten by a vampire) it'll stay crescent shaped.

As far as being called the Crescent city, the bridge is called the Crescent City Connection and the cops are represented by this:

la-neworleans%20optimized.jpg

The joke was that so many people have suggested the same stupid thing that it's driven rams into a homicidal rage.

The problem with the whole "team x, y, and z" should trade names thing is that it would create to much unnecessary confusion.

<snip>

There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

You're over thinking it, I don't ultimately care one way or another, it's just fun tedious and overplayed thought experiment, and rams80 video choice is still in extemely poor taste awesome. I wish to become more like him....

Fixed. ^_^

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Um, yeah, the river still makes that big curve there and probably always will.

Well, given how rivers tend to cut through things, always isn't likely. But for our lifetime (unless someone here sips from the Holy Grail, takes a dip in a Lazarus Pit or is bitten by a vampire) it'll stay crescent shaped.

As far as being called the Crescent city, the bridge is called the Crescent City Connection and the cops are represented by this:

la-neworleans%20optimized.jpg

Actually, it should always do so. The Morganza Spillway, Bonne Carret Spillway, and Old River Control Structure were all put in to keep the Mississippi flowing past New Orleans as it was beginning to shift to using the Atchalafaya as its route to the Gulf back in the 1920s.

<snip>

You're over thinking it, I don't ultimately care one way or another, it's just fun tedious and overplayed thought experiment, and rams80 video choice is still in extemely poor taste awesome. I wish to become more like him....

Fixed. ^_^

tumblr_lwn9rbrCjM1qb6pxf.gif

tigercatssignature-1.png

New Orleans Barons, yea or nay?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For the sake of keeping things simple, lets say the Utah Jazz become the Utah Stars, and the New Orleans Hornets become the New Orleans Jazz.

So which franchise gets to hang 1997 and 1998 Western Conference Champions banners? Which franchise gets to claim the records, and heck memories, of John Stockton and Karl Malone? All of that happened with the Utah Jazz. But the Jazz now play in New Orleans. Even though it's not the same team, it's a different team using their name, and the team that those players did play for is now going by a different name. So is just the name moving? Or are the franchise records moving? Is it a Cleveland Deal type of thing, where we all pretend the Jazz never left New Orleans? How do we deal with the team's extensive history in Utah? And if we are moving all or some of the Jazz team's legacy to New Orleans, how do we mesh that with the history and legacy of the Hornets? The team that's actually just getting the Jazz name. There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

too much confusion. :P

Not that I'm in any way an advocate of the 3-way name change baloney sausage, but it's already "confusing" in that regard. Do you know which 2 jerseys are hanging from the New Orleans Arena rafters? A Bobby Phills Charlotte Hornets jersey (a player who never played as a New Orleans Hornet), and a New Orleans Jazz jersey of Pistol Pete Maravich -- who died before the Charlotte Hornets ever played a game, and who died 11 years before the current arena was completed. A jerseys from the franchise that is now in Utah (By the way, his number is also honored in the Superdome, where he at least DID play his games).

Plus, the NBA also has NBA and ABA throwback nights, wherein (1) teams play under a former city's incarnation (Lakers have played wearing "MPLS" jerseys; Kings have played wearing Cincinnati Royals jerseys, etc.) (2) there could conceivably be a situation where a team is wearing the jerseys of the differing cities during their franchise history (L.A. Clippers as L.A. Stars, prior to them being the Utah Stars, playing the Utah Jazz) or even two teams playing under jerseys of the SAME FRANCHISE at different times (New Orleans Hornets as the Buccaneers vs. Memphis Grizzlies as the Tams/Pros/Sounds)(Miami Heat as Floridians vs. Minnesota T-Woves as Muskies).

:wacko:

It is what it is.

Lost in this argument (unless I missed it in the 18 pages it has dragged on for) is the historical significance of the name "Hornets" as it applies to Charlotte, certainly moreso than Utah. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look up Gen. Cornwallis and Charlotte. If for some reason New Orleans drops the Hornets name, it should go back to Charlotte. Period. End of story. Maybe then we can finally rid the league of the last remnants of a narcissistic tv mogul turned NBA owner. One can only hope.

Lost in this argument (unless I missed it in the 18 pages it has dragged on for) is the historical significance of the name "Hornets" as it applies to Charlotte, certainly moreso than Utah. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look up Gen. Cornwallis and Charlotte. If for some reason New Orleans drops the Hornets name, it should go back to Charlotte. Period. End of story. Maybe then we can finally rid the league of the last remnants of a narcissistic tv mogul turned NBA owner. One can only hope.

I agree. But if NOLA decides the keep the name (doubtful), then I feel that Charlotte is out of luck.

But please NOLA, if you change names, come up with a decent logo! cough*** Nets and Thunder logos suck ***cough

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived