New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um, yeah, the river still makes that big curve there and probably always will.

Well, given how rivers tend to cut through things, always isn't likely. But for our lifetime (unless someone here sips from the Holy Grail, takes a dip in a Lazarus Pit or is bitten by a vampire) it'll stay crescent shaped.

As far as being called the Crescent city, the bridge is called the Crescent City Connection and the cops are represented by this:

la-neworleans%20optimized.jpg

Nice but Brooklyn already beat NOLA to the black/white logo thing :)

Just leave them as the Hornets, really. Something is sort of weird about going to such great lengths for so many years to one and for all preserve The New Orleans Hornets, only to cement their presence and then rename them the Crescents or Archangels or Mardi Gras or Crawdads or King Cakes or whatever. You wanted the Hornets, now you have the Hornets. There.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My first option is also Hornets, but Spirits would work on multiple levels. Gotta have the S, though. And the Spirits of St. Louis are never coming back - the old owners are still getting paid, aren't they? - so we might as well let that go after three or more decades.

Apparently the "leading candidates" for a Hornets rebranding are "Angels" and "Spirit". I could MAYBE be okay with Angels, but Spirit is a bit too WNBA for my liking.

I couldn't. I could never bring myself to purchase any merchandise with either of those names. Ugh.

gYH2mW9.png

Angels could work I guess but I'm not crazy about it. I'd like it more if another major sports team wasn't already using it. Spirit's just an awful name.

I'm just spitballing here but what about Corsairs for a new name? A corsair is basically a french pirate for those who don't know. A pirate theme would play well in New Orleans, and the French angle is obvious. It lends itself to a sharper color scheme (black, metallic gold and purple would be cool), and you could easily work the fleur-de-lis in there somewhere. I can't find any other sports team that uses the name either, and I think it's pretty cool. Definitely better than the two names being mentioned, as well as other stupid ideas like Pelicans or Brass or whatever.

New Orleans Corsairs. If I knew how I'd try to whip up a concept for it.

New Orleans Pelicans -

The Pelican State:

Because of the abundance of Brown Pelicans found along the coast of Louisiana, the state is commonly referred to as "The Pelican State." This bird has been a symbol of Louisiana since the arrival of early European settlers who were impressed with the pelican's generous and nurturing attitude toward their young. The pelican is Louisiana's official state bird and appears on the Louisiana state flag and the great seal.

You could check out anytime you like, but you could never leave.

New Orleans Pelicans -

The Pelican State:

Because of the abundance of Brown Pelicans found along the coast of Louisiana, the state is commonly referred to as "The Pelican State." This bird has been a symbol of Louisiana since the arrival of early European settlers who were impressed with the pelican's generous and nurturing attitude toward their young. The pelican is Louisiana's official state bird and appears on the Louisiana state flag and the great seal.

The New Orleans Pelicans were a long-running minor-league baseball team that played on and off from way back in 1889 to 1977...however, and this is an interesting notion, Tom Benson does actually owe the rights to the New Orleans Pelicans name...

But I think Pelicans would be a goofy name for a BASKETBALL team.

GR30a5H.png

Pelicans for a basketball team sounds stupid.

Plus, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans are now the Minor League team. And their bird logo is sick.

Even though I desparately plead for the Hornets name back where it belongs (Charlotte!!!) I want NOLA to get a decent rebranding.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

The problem with the whole "team x, y, and z" should trade names thing is that it would create to much unnecessary confusion.

For the sake of keeping things simple, lets say the Utah Jazz become the Utah Stars, and the New Orleans Hornets become the New Orleans Jazz.

So which franchise gets to hang 1997 and 1998 Western Conference Champions banners? Which franchise gets to claim the records, and heck memories, of John Stockton and Karl Malone? All of that happened with the Utah Jazz. But the Jazz now play in New Orleans. Even though it's not the same team, it's a different team using their name, and the team that those players did play for is now going by a different name. So is just the name moving? Or are the franchise records moving? Is it a Cleveland Deal type of thing, where we all pretend the Jazz never left New Orleans? How do we deal with the team's extensive history in Utah? And if we are moving all or some of the Jazz team's legacy to New Orleans, how do we mesh that with the history and legacy of the Hornets? The team that's actually just getting the Jazz name. There's no real clear cut answer to any of these questions. It would just create to much unnecessary confusion.

too much confusion. :P

Not that I'm in any way an advocate of the 3-way name change baloney sausage, but it's already "confusing" in that regard. Do you know which 2 jerseys are hanging from the New Orleans Arena rafters? A Bobby Phills Charlotte Hornets jersey (a player who never played as a New Orleans Hornet), and a New Orleans Jazz jersey of Pistol Pete Maravich -- who died before the Charlotte Hornets ever played a game, and who died 11 years before the current arena was completed. A jerseys from the franchise that is now in Utah (By the way, his number is also honored in the Superdome, where he at least DID play his games).

Plus, the NBA also has NBA and ABA throwback nights, wherein (1) teams play under a former city's incarnation (Lakers have played wearing "MPLS" jerseys; Kings have played wearing Cincinnati Royals jerseys, etc.) (2) there could conceivably be a situation where a team is wearing the jerseys of the differing cities during their franchise history (L.A. Clippers as L.A. Stars, prior to them being the Utah Stars, playing the Utah Jazz) or even two teams playing under jerseys of the SAME FRANCHISE at different times (New Orleans Hornets as the Buccaneers vs. Memphis Grizzlies as the Tams/Pros/Sounds)(Miami Heat as Floridians vs. Minnesota T-Woves as Muskies).

:wacko:

It hasn't caused too much trouble here when the Atlanta Braves come to town and the Brewers break out their Milwaukee Braves fauxbacks.

It's where I sit.

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

Also, it would be "Bounties".

I still like Krewe.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

The New Orleans Rising Suns

New Orleans Rising Suns vs. the Phoenix Suns?

Hmmm...probably not.

Well, if we have the Reds versus the Red Sox, I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's a :censored:ty name, but not for the reason you gave.

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

First time I've ever seen/heard it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived