New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

I think it'd be a good thing for New Orleans too, to start fresh with a new identity. Pelicans or Buccaneers, maybe?

I like Gators. Or Kingfish. I'd really like the Creoles.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn all the name-trading...how 'bout someone give Seattle their team back...

:P

Maybe they are thinking of changing the New Orleans Hornets to Seattle Supersonics.

Bingo.

I was thinking that exactly. Wheels are in motion. Stay tuned.

I was wondering the same thing, its been quiet since the whole announcement of the "new owners" plus the rumblings in Seattle

Seattle's Arena Panel has scheduled a 5pm meeting on Wednesday, April 4th. They will officially release report on Hansen proposal then

I am told the Arena panel will also make a recommendation at that time, to the Seattle and King County Councils. #NBA

http://twitter.com/#!/chrisdaniels5

baltimoreravens.png

I think it'd be a good thing for New Orleans too, to start fresh with a new identity. Pelicans or Buccaneers, maybe?

I like all of those, but Kingfish is especially great. I can't believe that hasn't been a Louisiana-based team's name yet. An homage to both the fish AND Huey Long? Perfect.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Give New Orleans back the Jazz, give Charlotte back the Hornets, and Utah can change to whatever.

Give New Orleans back the Jazz, give Charlotte back the Hornets, and Utah can change to whatever.

Utah bobcats...make this 3 way trade happen now...it's long overdue.

THANK YOU.

People, let's leave the Jazz out of this, please.

Anyways, I've been wanting this to happen so Charlotte could take the Hornets back. I think it'd be a good thing for New Orleans too, to start fresh with a new identity. Pelicans or Buccaneers, maybe?

Yes, yes, yes to the bolded part!! If you ask Utah to relinquish the Jazz name back to (currently) league-owned New Orleans,* you might as well ask Los Angeles to give the Lakers name back to Minnesota. I sure hope the league doesn't pursue this path.

As unfitting as the name itself is to Utah, the Jazz franchise has spent 32 seasons in Utah as opposed to 5 in New Orleans;** a similar ratio goes for the Lakers (12/51)**, so I say, neither name goes, or they both go. It simply wouldn't be fair if the league (however they would) were to ask that Utah give the Jazz name back to New Orleans while not doing a thing about the Lakers.

As for possible new names for New Orleans, I like Buccaneers, Blues, Creoles, or Kingfish. Or, if things don't work out, Supersonics. :P

*Keeping in mind a rebranding is likely after the Hornets are sold. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the NBA still bends over backwards to accommodate New Orleans after a sale.

**Not 100% sure on actual amount of seasons, but it's within the ballpark. The point I'm making here is that both the Jazz and Lakers have spent the vast majority of their existences using their current names in a place where said monikers don't fit, as opposed to where they do.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Utah bobcats...make this 3 way trade happen now...it's long overdue.

THANK YOU.

People, let's leave the Jazz out of this, please.

Anyways, I've been wanting this to happen so Charlotte could take the Hornets back. I think it'd be a good thing for New Orleans too, to start fresh with a new identity. Pelicans or Buccaneers, maybe?

Yep. I'm not a Jazz fan, but the name is so ingrained in the history of the NBA that a Utah basketball team under any other name just feels wrong.

spacer.png

I like all of those, but Kingfish is especially great. I can't believe that hasn't been a Louisiana-based team's name yet. An homage to both the fish AND Huey Long? Perfect.

Oh, but they have...the Baton Rouge Kingfish, of the late-90s ECHL. Google it. (I'm on my phone so I can't post the link.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

RIP

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

My thoughts exactly.

But beyond this great logo, I going to admit that the name "New Orleans Hornets" in all honesty, sounds bad. It's a shame that the logo and the entire Hornets identity might be gone from the NBA, but at least it gives N.O. a chance to get themselves a better sounding name.

Oh, but they have...the Baton Rouge Kingfish, of the late-90s ECHL. Google it. (I'm on my phone so I can't post the link.)

I'm on my phone too. I can still post it. Here:

baton_rouge_kingfish.png

But cities have reused minor league names before. In fact, this isn't even the same city. I think a basketball-oriented version of this logo lends itself to the Hornets' current colors pretty well.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Eh...one day I'll figure this Android out. :P (Still working on thay CrackBerry-to-Android conversion.)

And this might just be me, but for some reason I just don't see a fish-nickname lending itself too well to a basketball team. Can't really call it, but as much as I like the nickname "Kingfish", I?ehh, I don't know.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I would like to see the NBA have a rule that if a team moves, it must relinquish its nickname and come up with something new, like what happened when the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City. But put it in writing.

I would like to see the NBA have a rule that if a team moves, it must relinquish its nickname and come up with something new, like what happened when the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City. But put it in writing.

I agree! I like the OKC Thunder name...but the logo and colors could have been better. But that's just stating the obvious.

I was wondering the same thing, its been quiet since the whole announcement of the "new owners" plus the rumblings in Seattle

Seattle's Arena Panel has scheduled a 5pm meeting on Wednesday, April 4th. They will officially release report on Hansen proposal then

I am told the Arena panel will also make a recommendation at that time, to the Seattle and King County Councils. #NBA

http://twitter.com/#!/chrisdaniels5

A while back Hornets and Louisiana agreed in principle to a deal which will have Hornets remain in New Orleans for at least 2024.

Kings, the other team on the brink of moving also have a new stadium deal with Sacremanto.

Looks like Seattle will have to wait until the league decides to expand to 32 teams and try Vancouver again (Stern has said in the past that he regrets not giving Vancouver enough time).

they can call themselves the New Orleans Bounty Hunters! (lol)

I don't get it.

Hint (I think :P):

gregg-williams.jpg

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived