yauger72

New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

Angels could work I guess but I'm not crazy about it. I'd like it more if another major sports team wasn't already using it. Spirit's just an awful name.

I'm just spitballing here but what about Corsairs for a new name? A corsair is basically a french pirate for those who don't know. A pirate theme would play well in New Orleans, and the French angle is obvious. It lends itself to a sharper color scheme (black, metallic gold and purple would be cool), and you could easily work the fleur-de-lis in there somewhere. I can't find any other sports team that uses the name either, and I think it's pretty cool. Definitely better than the two names being mentioned, as well as other stupid ideas like Pelicans or Brass or whatever.

New Orleans Corsairs. If I knew how I'd try to whip up a concept for it.

I love the idea of the Corsairs. The only team I can think of is NCAA Division III's UMass Dartmouth Corsairs.

Well, if we have the Reds versus the Red Sox, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yes, but those names are grandfathered in, having existed for 100 years. If MLB was started today, we wouldn't have Reds and Red Sox. We also wouldn't have Red Sox and White Sox.

And yes, Rising Suns blows. I think everyone thinks of imperial Japan when they hear that term, anyway.

Well, if we have the Reds versus the Red Sox, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yes, but those names are grandfathered in, having existed for 100 years. If MLB was started today, we wouldn't have Reds and Red Sox. We also wouldn't have Red Sox and White Sox.

And yes, Rising Suns blows. I think everyone thinks of imperial Japan when they hear that term, anyway.

The New Orleans Pralines would be a sweet name.

bTs2I.jpg

I'm just spitballing here but what about Corsairs for a new name?

I suggested New Orleans Corsairs back at the beginning of April. I think it would make for a phenomenal identity package.

Like i said before, give the hornets back to Charlotte and move NOLA to Anaheim to become the Royals. Also why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ? When I think of fleur-de-lis, I think of Quebec.

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

It's AWFUL!

Like i said before, give the hornets back to Charlotte and move NOLA to Anaheim to become the Royals.

Except for, you know, the whole deal that NOLA isn't moving. I suppose it's easy to have missed that mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Also:

Stop-Brand-Swap.png

Alos why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ?

It's AWFUL!

Certainly not as bad as your typing. I think it's terrifically rendered and a great concept. What's "AWFUL!" about it?

Like i said before, give the hornets back to Charlotte and move NOLA to Anaheim to become the Royals. Also why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ? When I think of fleur-de-lis, I think of Quebec.

It's AWFUL!

That logo conveniently embraces the French cultural identifier since New Orleans was founded by the French Mississippi Company.

I'm for the New Orleans Crawfish and using this logo (minus the star).

gclu4n56trwxxn0gojk4.gif

Then again I enjoy their color scheme and wouldn't want it changed...

Apparently someone hasn't been to New Orleans. Come here, you will understand why the fleur-de-lis is used.

Also, if you think that is terrible you need your eyes checked son. That is one of the best sports logos to come out in the past 10 years.

Apparently someone hasn't been to New Orleans. Come here, you will understand why the fleur-de-lis is used.

Also, if you think that is terrible you need your eyes checked son. That is one of the best sports logos to come out in the past 10 years.

This x1000

Idiosyncratic as the Hornet's name is, there is now enough cache built up around it that changing it would be even stupider/

Angels could work I guess but I'm not crazy about it. I'd like it more if another major sports team wasn't already using it. Spirit's just an awful name.

I'm just spitballing here but what about Corsairs for a new name? A corsair is basically a french pirate for those who don't know. A pirate theme would play well in New Orleans, and the French angle is obvious. It lends itself to a sharper color scheme (black, metallic gold and purple would be cool), and you could easily work the fleur-de-lis in there somewhere. I can't find any other sports team that uses the name either, and I think it's pretty cool. Definitely better than the two names being mentioned, as well as other stupid ideas like Pelicans or Brass or whatever.

New Orleans Corsairs. If I knew how I'd try to whip up a concept for it.

I love the idea of the Corsairs. The only team I can think of is NCAA Division III's UMass Dartmouth Corsairs.

New Orleans Corsairs was a name from my first-ever baseball concept series back in high school, over 20 years ago. So I approve.

Names that I came up with as a teenager that ended up coming into being include Jacksonville Jaguars and Hartford Colonials, so there's that. :P

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

Also, it would be "Bounties".

I still like Krewe.

Says the man who spells Crew with a 'K' and two 'e's... :rolleyes:

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

I still like Krewe.

Because that's how you spell Krewe as it relates to a Mardi Gras group (I don't know the exact etymology of the word, nor it's perfect usage, but I understand the concept).

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

I still like Krewe.

Because that's how you spell Krewe as it relates to a Mardi Gras group (I don't know the exact etymology of the word, nor it's perfect usage, but I understand the concept).

Let me look it up for you.

I thought of the great song by the Animals before I thought of Japan.

There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Rising Sun....

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

I still like Krewe.

Fine. How about the New Orleans Obscurios.... :P

I still like Krewe.

You made an oops.