yauger72

New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

For me, Corsairs is too obscure of a term. If we went with a pirate theme, Privateers or Bucaneers would be the most appropriate names...but both are pipe-dreams that won't happen. I'm still in favor of a nautical theme of Pilots, Captains or Admirals. I could live with Brass as well. Krewe just doesn't sit well with me. Not sure why but it doesn't.

Also why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ? When I think of fleur-de-lis, I think of Quebec.

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

So does their local NFL team remind you of Quebec too?

New Orleans Bountys....

/overusedjoke

Also, it would be "Bounties".

I still like Krewe.

Says the man who spells Crew with a 'K' and two 'e's... :rolleyes:

Because that's how you spell Krewe as it relates to a Mardi Gras group (I don't know the exact etymology of the word, nor it's perfect usage, but I understand the concept).

Let me look it up for you.

#owned

Don't Evil Doctors typically do a :censored: load of research before their evil master plans go terribly wrong? Ours doesn't even want to get a lackey to do the book-learning for him!

Also why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ? When I think of fleur-de-lis, I think of Quebec.

It's Cody21. Does anybody really take anything he says seriously?

Don't Evil Doctors typically do a :censored: load of research before their evil master plans go terribly wrong? Ours doesn't even want to get a lackey to do the book-learning for him!

Oh I'm sorry is this "Missing the Point Day", I was neglected to be told?

FWIW, Paul Lukas was running a "design the logo/uni" contest for the rebranded Hornets franchise on the Uni-Watch website. The various entries can be seen here, if you can stomach them. There's a large number of those that were re-use of either previously used New Orleans teams logos (Brass) or currently used logos (Jesters soccer, NBA ?NOLA? logo, Voodoo). Plus, in looking at some of the names and designs (Gala? Partiers? Storks? Funk? Hickories?), it pushes me more and more in the camp wanting to keep the name ?Hornets?; keeping the fleur-de-bee as the primary, definitely removing the pinstripes from the unis and perhaps changing the color scheme. I'm getting to where I'd prefer that over my affinity for "New Orleans Spirits", as it seems that even that is getting messed up by the idea of leaving out the pluralizing "S", which makes all the difference in the world:

New Orleans Spirits: concrete imagery: ghosts, cemeteries, voodoo, and booze. Cool as hell. Would likely need to have black in color scheme, however.

New Orleans Spirit: WNBA-ish, minor-league abstract concept. No concrete imagery. Sounds like a cheerleader (we've got spririt, yes we do, we've got spirit how 'bout YOU!!)

An excellent point. It really needs the "s".

I love the fleur-de-bee. Make that the primary (or, since this is an NBA team, the secondary that everybody uses for almost all applications) and keep the name.

Amazing how uneducated some people are about history isn't it...

I know NOLA is the French state, but why do you have to mix bee with a fleur-de-lis? that's just wrong. its an awful way to represent your town. you have the saints.

I know NOLA is the French state, but why do you have to mix bee with a fleur-de-lis? that's just wrong. its an awful way to represent your town. you have the saints.

:lol: All I can do is laugh. Geez....

To Hell with inspirational, localized design, we already have a team from another sport with a logo that may or may not be anything close to any rational thoughts we may or may not have thought.

I know NOLA is the French state, but why do you have to mix bee with a fleur-de-lis?

Because it looks awesome.

New Orleans Spirits: concrete imagery: ghosts, cemeteries, voodoo, and booze. Cool as hell. Would likely need to have black in color scheme, however.

I think the NBA might shoot down any idea to name the team the "Spirits" because of that word's booze-related meaning (not to mention a potential conflict with the Spirits of St. Louis). Although I agree that it's a much better name than "Spirit."

This makes absolutely no sense.

I want to print Cody's posts to show lawmakers exactly what they are doing to the next generation by cutting school funding.

I haven't been this dumbfounded since "as a fan, I'm not a fan," and even with that I sorta got what he meant.

I...

Um...

Stop posting. Forever.

I know NOLA is the French state

but why do you have to mix bee

with a fleur-de-lis? that's just wrong.

its

Sig'd!

As a designer, I think this is really well done and quite a smart combination of the two elements. I'm not close enough to the city or team to speak further but as a straight design, I'd say it's great.