New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

Also why does everyone like this piece of :censored: ? When I think of fleur-de-lis, I think of Quebec.

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

As a designer, I think this is really well done and quite a smart combination of the two elements. I'm not close enough to the city or team to speak further but as a straight design, I'd say it's great.

it looks like it has three wings and its carrying a basketball.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a designer, I think this is really well done and quite a smart combination of the two elements. I'm not close enough to the city or team to speak further but as a straight design, I'd say it's great.

it looks like it has three wings and its carrying a basketball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDX5cNzWJk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL565738D0C960D85E

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

i'm kinda curious what a trade would look like if a team name was involved.

Utah: X Players, $$

New Orleans: Jazz name lmfao...

could you imagine!?!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

FWIW, Paul Lukas was running a "design the logo/uni" contest for the rebranded Hornets franchise on the Uni-Watch website. The various entries can be seen here, if you can stomach them. There's a large number of those that were re-use of either previously used New Orleans teams logos (Brass) or currently used logos (Jesters soccer, NBA “NOLA” logo, Voodoo). Plus, in looking at some of the names and designs (Gala? Partiers? Storks? Funk? Hickories?), it pushes me more and more in the camp wanting to keep the name “Hornets”; )

The one good design from that contest.

7142213585_9a3e17a325_o.png

579535_434659966548477_434639283217212_1803694_2062406343_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

FWIW, Paul Lukas was running a "design the logo/uni" contest for the rebranded Hornets franchise on the Uni-Watch website. The various entries can be seen here, if you can stomach them. There's a large number of those that were re-use of either previously used New Orleans teams logos (Brass) or currently used logos (Jesters soccer, NBA ?NOLA? logo, Voodoo). Plus, in looking at some of the names and designs (Gala? Partiers? Storks? Funk? Hickories?), it pushes me more and more in the camp wanting to keep the name ?Hornets?; )

7142213585_9a3e17a325_o.png

579535_434659966548477_434639283217212_1803694_2062406343_n.jpg

The wordmark is cool and the colors work but the logo is very busy with all those feathers. Plus the name is too soft for nba... It's a minor league baseball or high school name.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

FWIW, Paul Lukas was running a "design the logo/uni" contest for the rebranded Hornets franchise

<snipped to save the eyes>

Oh, nash, I used to think you had good taste.... :down:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Pelicans is awful.

The Bucs concept is okay I guess. Numbers are weird, and I'm not crazy about Buccaneers for a New Orleans team, just because of the Saints/Bucs rivalry in the NFL.

What's wrong with blending a lilly flower (that represents your culture) and a hornet (that represents your name)? Isn't that the basis behind a clever logo - mixing culture with your team's name?

Cody, you realize that Orléans is a city in France, and "New Orleans" is just the English version of La Nouvelle-Orléans. You know...New Orléans (Like New England, New York, etc...). They didn't just say, "Hey! That Québec flag looks cool! Let's use that flower thing in our logo! It doesn't have anything to do with our culture, but so what?".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Pelicans is awful.

The Bucs concept is okay I guess. Numbers are weird, and I'm not crazy about Buccaneers for a New Orleans team, just because of the Saints/Bucs rivalry in the NFL.

I would love to see this revived!

NewBucsLogo.gif

gYH2mW9.png

Pelicans is awful.

I would love to see this revived!

NewBucsLogo.gif

What the hell is up with that logo? Are his lips on his chest?

Regardless of what the name turns out to be, it should not be any name that is already used. Buccaneers, Angels, Pilots, etc should all be thrown out. I like Pelicans but like the others I fear that the uniforms are going to be exactly identical to the Utah Jazz.

I would have been a fan of a name change if it would have happened back in 2002. But now not so much. Besides, I like the Bobcats color scheme and the Hornets name.

Regardless of what the name turns out to be, it should not be any name that is already used. Buccaneers, Angels, Pilots, etc should all be thrown out. I like Pelicans but like the others I fear that the uniforms are going to be exactly identical to the Utah Jazz.

I would have been a fan of a name change if it would have happened back in 2002. But now not so much. Besides, I like the Bobcats color scheme and the Hornets name.

Nobody in the 4 major sports, or MLS, uses "Pilots".

Right. Why would "Pilots" be thrown out?

gYH2mW9.png

Right. Why would "Pilots" be thrown out?

It was already used by Seattle. I think the whole Nationals and Texans recycling names from teams that don't have anything in common with them is absurd as well.. although I do like Nationals.

...Miami Marlins (Intenational League, Florida State League, and now the National League [MLB]), Baltimore Colts (an AAFC team that competed in the NFL for one year in 1950, not related to the current franchise), and (in some odd way), Seahawks (There was a team named the Miami Seahawks that played one year out of the All-American Football Conference, the same league the Cleveland Browns and the San Francisco 49ers came from)...

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Archived